Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

513-T Range Trip

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  IHMSA80x80 
#1 · (Edited)
Took one of my favorites out to the range.

The first real gun I ever shot, not counting pellet guns, was a 513-T. I was 13, we were stationed in Frankfurt, Germany in 1965. My friend's older brother was really into guns (he could quote the ballistics charts of every round) and took us to the base firing range. They had 6 or so range guns, all 513-T models, that you could check out to use. We shot off a rest, with peep sights, at a single large bullseye target at 100 yards. No charge for the guns or targets.

I remember we walked to the range, stopping at a very small range shop that sold us a couple of boxes of Western Super-X ammo for 65 cents. Most of my shots were in the white scoring rings at least, but it was really cool. We made that trip many times. I would always search the trash cans and pick up any fired brass that was there. To this day I am still using the nickel Western .38 Special wadcutter cases I found there, and still have those empty boxes they came in.

Over the years, I had always wanted a 513-T, for nostalgia's sake, but never got around to getting one. A year after we were married, my wife wanted to buy me a gun for my birthday and I told her this story. She said to go find one on Gunbroker and bought it for me.

Never put a scope on it to see what it prefers, but I know it likes Eley a lot and some others. In keeping with the tradition, I usually feed it the same stuff we used back in 1965.

Spent a lot of time just picking off clay target pieces at 50 and 100 yards from the bench, then a little bit shooting it offhand, going through 100 rounds. It was absolutely enjoyable. This one will always occupy a special place in the safe.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great stories.... and glad you guys shared them.
I was handed a Winchester 62 A from somebody that meant a lot and a sporterized 7 mm Mauser from a Grandfather

Both of these guns will stay with me and in the family forever.

I'm hoping the few guns that I have put together will have the meaning to my boys after I check out.

#5 ·
I still have Dad's 511. It was the first rifle I ever shot. It sat in a corner for about 20 years before I pulled it out and started shooting it again. 20 years of rest and it was still dead on.
Kids and grandkid better be good to me. Then again, it's what started this obsession with buying beat up .22's and breathing new life into them.
Guess I have Dad to thank for the empty wallet.:bthumb:
Pete

#7 ·
My 1st experience with a Remington was at one of those 50 ft. 22 ranges that every National Guard Armory used to have before OSHA shut them all down. It was an open house and packed with baby boomer kids waiting to take their turn on the line. I can't remember the model number but I was 12 and the gun wasn't too big for me shooting with a sling in the prone position. I remember it had a globe front sight with an aperture style blade. One box of Kleanbore later, I was hooked.

#8 ·
I also have a 513T that is a joy to shoot. Worked over by someone(probably a bored military armorer) with a 14 Oz. trigger. My first rifle that I still have is a Savage Model 7 that my Grandfather bought new in 1938. He taught me how to shoot it on my 10th birthday (1961) and gave it to me then. Still have it in my gun cabinet, however now it belongs to my Grandson and it was given to him on his 10th birthday. He however seems to prefer black rifles.

#14 · (Edited)
I was reading Dean's post that he made on 11-12-2014 and noticed the two missing photos.

I restored the exact one for the first photo and I'm pretty sure I restored the exact one of the second photo, but I added two other photos, just to be sure.

I plan to restore Dean's missing photos, as I read his post, as best that I can.

Sadly, Dean passed away at 68 on Dec. 7, 2020 from Lymphoma cancer.

He'll be deeply and greatly missed, especially by me.

This 513-T was the first gun gift [of several gun gifts] from me to Dean.

I'm so happy that he found it and it wasn't a year after we were married, but just a little more than 6 months after we were married.

Probably closer to his Birthday on June 27.

Of course, this will be one of the guns I'm not going to sell.

Marilyn [Dean's Loving Wife]

:F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.