Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How rare is Remington model 34

54K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  peeweesaveschristmas 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the current "USABE" (that are not in absolutely non-repairable condition) number of Remington model 34 are still available, i.e. how rare are they ? I know that this would probably be a guess at best. My research, so far, leads me to believe that they are somewhat of a rariety.

I know when they were manufacturered and I know how many were made, just wanting to know how many of the 162,000 that were produced are still existing in a state of usable condition.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I would think that 3/4 of them are still around, based on price. Price would dictate are relatively not rare, although they didn't make a lot. And it didn't have a long run. It's just not a "special" gun. You look at an NRA version, and it's significantly more valuable. The 33 is starting to rise in price but that is the first bolt action ever made by Remington. The 34 is the first multi shot bolt action, they both have the about the same numbers. but you really can look a lot of places and every sight has at least 1 34 for sale. Gunbroker, gunsamerica, ect. Take the H&R 550 pal I have. It was made 2 years, it's not even listed in Numrich's and it's not listed in most blue books. Same with the 565 Pal. They are single shot bolt action rifles with a VERY low production number, and if found, can be had for 100-150 bucks. They were made around the same time as the 34. It seems just the Winchesters of that age are worth anything. The ones that are worth anything get parted out and sold. The ones not worth anything get sold whole. IMO. I LOVE my 34's and all my depression era guns. Another reason I think a lot of them are around still is because of the simplicity in design. They are easy guns, not a lot of parts. That's why a lot of them never got parted out also. Why part out a perfectly good gun. I know value doesn't always equate to rarity, but I think a lot of them are still around.

#9 ·
Ones in decent shape are rare,due to their age,most didn't take that good of care of them. I bought an unfired one in south carolina that had brown blue patina no rust,wood nice internals barrel bolt ,lifter looked like they were just made and couldn't give it away. So I kept it,it's a tack driver,still less than 50 rds through it.

#5 ·
Seriously, the lifter mechanisms on the M/34s are a joy to behold.
Yes, that is the thing that I find interesting about this rifle.

What puzzles me is why this mechanism was not used on latter versions of these rifles or was it ?

Some of the feed mechanisms on some of the newer bolt and semi-auto models seem to be a much less workable solution than this.

Thanks.

#11 ·
I have started disassembly of the rifle and I have a question.

At the rear of the receiver section (looking directly from the back of the receiver) there is a BLOCK at the bottom of the receiver which sits just behind the safety pivot pin, etc. and on the lower right hand side of that block there is a SCREW which goes into the back of that block.

What is the purpose/function of that screw ? Does it perhaps hold in a spring which functions with the safety ? I know I could take it out but would sort of like to know what its function is BEFORE I try that.

P.S. - I looked on Numrich and there is a parts listing but there is NO schematic of the assembly / layout of the parts.

Thanks.

#12 ·
Hey buddy I learned how 2 take apart and put mine 2getger on youtube and it's actually alot easier than I though it would be I take it apart all the time. Mine was bought brand new by my great grandpa and given 2 me by my grandpa it hadn't been shot in at least 50 years and diddnt have a stock which I ordered and is otw 2day

#13 · (Edited)
Ive never seen many of the 34's, way more of the 500 series. In my circle of friends I have the only 34, c/w Lyman rear peep, combination front and express/bar open rear as originally equipped when the FIL bought it. Never seen another like it.
But it is missing the original sling studs or swivels, not sure just what it needs to 'be right'.

#14 ·
I see several of them for sale each year at several LGS and shows around Denver, Colorado. I have one nice 34 (which I recently posted here), and several Remington Model 341 rifles which used the same lifter mechanism design. This mechanism was discontinued by 1939 or 1940 due to its expense. I have restored several of these rifles that others thought were “too far gone” (they are also posted on this forum). The 34 and 341 are my favorite rimfire rifles ever built!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I really like the older rifles. Seem to be made better than the new guns. My 34 is a favorite of mine. Has some patina but was made in Jan.1933 so I guess it should have a little. Good shooter with the peep sight and globe front. Here is my 34 with the 33 and the 341P. They are not rare but there is some pretty rough ones around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.