Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 552 Club

191K views 661 replies 218 participants last post by  bahamajoe 
#1 · (Edited)
I see we have a bunch of Remington 552 fans here - I think we should form a "Club" within this board.

I just acquired a new unfired old stock (2006) Speedmater, and just installed an EOTech holosight... I have not yet shot this thing, but plan to remedy this by tomorrow, weather permitting - I'll let you all know how it shoots,and if I will like this holosight or not. Lets keep this "Club" going by continuing to add our comments in one single thread. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

See less See more
#13 ·
See here:

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296150

I started on the stocks yesterday, got them stripped, de-oiled, sanded and stained. Have to lay on about 8-10 coats of tung oil over the next couple of weeks.

The barrel is completely shot out. I have owned and restored over 200 .22's and this is the worst barrel I have ever seen.

No rifling at the muzzle, probably because of over aggressive cleaning rod use, no defined chamber, several rings and some pitting. I found one on the internet, it should be here next week.

Will post pictures......

#15 ·
The "parts" pictured BDL is stored and I didn't record the date code, the other BDL (top in first picture) is code CW (April 1972). I don't know how I missed not recording the "Parts"BDL, it's a beautiful thing, I just missed it. Will have to get it out and check it.

#9 ·
If you PM me, I can email you a pdf of an owners manual that gives step by step take down instr. It's not hard just do what the video says and you will see how it comes apart. It looks complicated, but it's not. Just Knock those pins out and drop the trigger group. Then take out that fore end screw and pull the barrel out.
You can then separate the firing pin mech from the recoil spring. Be careful to keep control of the spring. Then you can clean the barrel and firing pin assembly and the trigger assembly.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks, h2oskikrazy - My 552 did not have the manual with it. I called Remington about three weeks ago and promised to send it to me, today I called them again and the lady promised to put one in the mail by tomorrow.

Pete

Edit - I think the picture of the schematic and pars list is distorting the page - I do have the picture in my archives, I can email it to you rsv1mos for reposting if you want it.

Pete

#21 ·
Just got back from the range, sighted my baby with my new holo sight; super fast target acquisition - shot about 60 rounds, no problems at all. I did remove the little shroud/shield from the ejection port... man, those empties come out flying - I just have to remember not to shoot too close to any one on my right. All-in-all, I'm happy with my new 552. I intended to shoot my Browning Buck Mark, but I forgot to turn off my red dot sight last time I shot it, about 3 months ago - yep, you guessed it, dead battery - no shooting! :sad:

Pete

#26 ·
I was just being curious. I'd heard or read about people getting a bit of burnt powder in the face on occasion. I don't know it that's true either. I usually just wipe the area around the ejection port with an oily rag and it stays clean.

Ron

#27 · (Edited)
I took mine to the range tonight and really put it through the pases with several different kinds of ammo to see what it really liked. Turned out CCI Blazers are a bit better than Fed 510's, CCI Mini Mags were not worth a dam and neither was any of the Remington stuff.

Blazers are a one holer at 25 and quarter size at 50. Tree rats are in trouble!