Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 547

267K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  BobSc 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd mention that I visited a gun shop and they told me that you can now order the Remie 547. They said the retail price was around $1300 for the LR version and they were willing to sell it for about $1050.

The price shocked me. I was expecting them to sell for around $800 like the Weatherby. So, I have a feeling this model will not last long in the market as it is priced in the Anshutz/Cooper area. Any thoughts?

As an aside, I looked at the new Ruger LCP 380 auto pocket model in person. It will be priced around $300. Kel Tec will not be able to compete with the new pocket auto with the strong Ruger name. The Rugers aren't for sale yet. I don't particularly like pocket autos, but I frankly was wanting to reach for my wallet on this one. It's sweet with a 8 lb trigger.

#161 ·
Pics...

Does anyone have a picture of a 547 action (out of the stock) was curious as to the difference compared to a 504.

Thanks..........
1Shot' - below are the original pics I took when I 1st de-mated the action from the stock (for bringing the trigger pull wt down from ~ 4#'s to current 12oz.:

Hope some of these are informational... I was really focusing on the 'clamping system' as you see...

Art :)

#166 ·
Yep and Lilja states on their website the 504 barrel will fit the 547:rolleyes:

Soooo..... a matte finish and a better chunk of lumber is what separates these? Why do the 547's shoot (for the most part) and the 504's seem to be a crap shoot? Some folks swear that a barrel change still doesn't always work.:confused:

#171 ·
I'm very sure that the 504 Sporter didn't have a match chamber - don't know about the 504-T. but I doubt it - probably what they would call "semi-match". I remember when the 504 was launched a few yrs ago (2004?), all the gun writers were saying what a great rifle it was, but when they got to the part about how it shoots they would always come up with excuses for the mediocre (at best) groups, e.g., windy day, scope problems, etc. I suspect the production machinery that Remington was using to produce the 504 had seen better days. IMHO, the 547 is what the 504 should have been. I have a 547, and I believe it's a great rifle. Remington's marketing people have done a lousy job in presenting the rifle to the shooting community. Example: the ads advertise that the 547 will produce a 5 shot group within 0.5 inch at 50 yards. Yet, the gun comes with an irregular cut piece of paper test target that was shot at 100 yards, which is going to have a larger group, but still less than an inch. Further, they don't say what ammo was used for the test target. They should pay attention to Cooper, Kimber, and Anschutz, who provide a laminated plastic-coated test target that clearly states the distance and ammo used. The 547 deserves a better effort than that from the people that make it.

#172 ·
Eley

22' - just for the record, I contacted the Custom Shop and directly asked them what ammo is used for shooting their test targets. The CS customer rep. was kind enough to talk to the person who sets up and shoots the 'cut out' targets and he mentioned he uses ELEY 'Black Box' EPS. (makes sense since our rifles have the customized ELEY EPS Match Chamber...) .

Also 22', can you make me feel good and say you're getting equal to (or better than) the accuracy I'm getting from my own 547? :) I'd sure make me feel good that I'm not the 'Lone Ranger', and that these rifles are excellent performers in other people's hands... :bthumb:

Thanks,

#173 ·
:)Yeah, I keep coming back to this thread hoping for positive input about the 547. Apparently, based on the number of comments I'm not seeing, hardly anyone is buying them. Either that or the people buying them don't post on RFC. I'm not finding much, either good or bad, about them.
Crow Feather

#174 ·
AJK547,

If your gun is shooting good be happy and don't worry too much about what anyone says...... I LOVE my 504 and would love to have a 547 since I do like a good chunk of walnut and a nice blue finish as opposed to the matte finish and plain grain walnut on the 504....
Remington is going through some tough times in regards to their QC, customer service, R&D etc... they seemed to have lost their way and are losing what was once a very loyal customer base.

Good luck with your 547 and post some more pics so we can drool...

Gary

#175 · (Edited)
Some additional info ...

Gary - thanks for the kind words... As you can imagine, I'm only trying to give the most accurate info I can come up with...

Now, here is a bit more information that just might confirm and further explain the accuracy improvements in the 547 series:

1) Consistent quality of the Shilen Match grade barrel.

2) Much improved / tighter specs for the 'Custom ELEY EPS Match Chamber' vs. the 'semi-match' for the 504.

3) Improvements in barrel to receiver 'headspace' alignment during assembly withiin the Custom Shop... each 547 is individually done.

4) Replaced the two-piece bolt design with a solid one-piece bolt for the 547.

5) 547 bolt design does have the firing pin supported by the new design.

6) The 547 bolt is 'retrofitable' to the 504.

7) The recommended torque settings for F and R action screws is: 25 - 30 in./lbs

8) The 'Tender Loving Care' and improved attention to detail, assembly and QC that the master gunsmiths give to their products on the Custom Shop line vs. the standard Remington production lines that the 504 was produced on. (Hmmmmm....... maybe why some of the 504's shoot extremely well when you couple the random luck of a good 504 barrel / well assembled 504, vs. a poor barrel and less attention to detail on the reg. production lines at Rem.)...

I think I'm now seeing the reasons why I had to pay the $$$ I did for my example. (human TLC to detail within the Custom Shop and definite improvements in design / components / assembly). Something that was cost point prohibitive on the 504...

*** Hope some of this makes sense gentlemen...

Art :bthumb:

#179 ·
Thanks Art! I suspected the difference between the 504 and 547 was a lot of details done better and you have pretty much conformed it. A Lilja barrel will cure a misbehaving 504 if it is installed properly, something easier said than done. Skilled gunsmiths can get it wrong so an amateur can lose their mind. (Who, me? :D)

#180 ·
Art,

Thanks for that info...... allows us to eliminate some of the mystery behind the 504's behavior.... good to know about the bolt!

Bob,

Are you using Lilja's gage or a spent round to set the barrel? Have you tried Loctites retaining compound 620 or 638?

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack this thread but seems to be some good info here:D

Gary

#181 ·
Bob,

Are you using Lilja's gage or a spent round to set the barrel? Have you tried Loctites retaining compound 620 or 638?

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack this thread but seems to be some good info here:D
Gary
Gary, I originally used a spent Eley case but recently got a gauge from Lilja, and it is actually a little bit tighter! At one point I thought headspace was critical, but my current suspicion focuses on:

3) Improvements in barrel to receiver 'headspace' alignment during assembly withiin the Custom Shop... each 547 is individually done.
For me, that is still hit or miss but the Custom Shop has probably got it down right.

Supporting the firing pin certainly helps, but barrel alignment relative to receiver and bolt face is probably the critical part. A couple of hints: ignore the %#$* set screw, hold it by the receiver and keep the assembly vertically so that the barrel and headspace gauge rest on the receiver face. Tighten the pinch bolt slowly and let everything settle into a proper relationship. Some bright soul can probably figure out a simple jig for this.

#188 · (Edited)
Let me see if I can get to the CS directly...

bhoges17 - If you don't mind, let me see if I can help... When I've contacted the Custom Shop directly in the past, they have been great in returning my calls (or emails) within a 24 to 48hr turnaround timeframe (many times in only a few hrs.)...

BTW, when I ordered my 2 additional 547 .22lr mags and duplicate sets of action screws, the regular Remington Customer Service handled the order and never got the Custom Shop involved... I received the order in 3 days...

#190 · (Edited)
Found it...

bhoges17 - I found one for you (547 Custom (.17HMR) magazine box assembly) so give me a private message in order for me to give you the info. you need to order... BTW, the regular Rem. Customer Service was able to find the correct part #, I didn't have to go thru the Custom Shop.

The part cost will be about $28.00 ea. for the mag.

Art :bthumb:

Just for the database, the Remington part # for a 547 (.17HMR) magazine is: F400700

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.