Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 547

267K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  BobSc 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd mention that I visited a gun shop and they told me that you can now order the Remie 547. They said the retail price was around $1300 for the LR version and they were willing to sell it for about $1050.

The price shocked me. I was expecting them to sell for around $800 like the Weatherby. So, I have a feeling this model will not last long in the market as it is priced in the Anshutz/Cooper area. Any thoughts?

As an aside, I looked at the new Ruger LCP 380 auto pocket model in person. It will be priced around $300. Kel Tec will not be able to compete with the new pocket auto with the strong Ruger name. The Rugers aren't for sale yet. I don't particularly like pocket autos, but I frankly was wanting to reach for my wallet on this one. It's sweet with a 8 lb trigger.

#89 ·
That is exactly what I was looking for! It is a true benchrest receiver. I have the same style bolt release on my Stiller Predator in .308Win on the left hand side. Everything else makes it look like a Model 700 receiver. I was trying to come up with a design very similar to that in a CAD program. I have two different ideas. Once built with right hand bolt and right port with the magazine well. The other a right hand bolt, left hand port single shot. The major differences in the bolt would be a firing pin located at the 6 o'clock position, as mentioned by Bill Calfee in one of his articles.

I will have to see if I can buy just that receiver, bolt and possible trigger depending on it is a special trigger design. If it uses the Model 700 trigger, a Jewell would be used. Got a picture of the trigger? I know... being a picture hound. By the way, awesome tool AOM22.

#90 ·
547 Trigger Photo

.... Got a picture of the trigger? ....
No, not yet.
I'm not going to de-mate the action from the stock.

At least, not until I have a chance to mount a scope
and fire for accuracy.

I'm going to test the Remington Accuracy Gurantee.
And, I'm not going to give big green an excuse to decline to honor the warantee.

By claiming I tampered with my rifle.
So, for now ... no joy.

#93 · (Edited)
I have a better chance of getting one made by Jerry Stiller from Stiller Precision than Savage. My dad is getting really good at making rifles for long distance shooting. The target rifle I have uses a Stiller receiver. It is a single shot replacement for the Remington 700.

At the moment, I have a Savage BTVS as a training rifle for the one pictured above. The more I look at the 547/504, it is closer in action. My ideal would be to have the same feel in bolt action, along with the same stock and scope arrangement.

Just for reference, I looked at JJIA thread and the trigger does not look interchangeable with a Model 700 unit.

#96 ·
I picked my 547 .22 up a couple of weeks ago. I've only had the opportunity to shoot it at 50 feet (indoors - the weather hasn't been coorperating here).

I have a Cooper 57 LVT and a Remington 541T HB. The new 547 won't shoot with either of the other guns (yet). I also received a test target from Remington fired at 100 yards that shows less than 1 inch.

I'm out of town for a couple of weeks. I'll post pictures of the gun and target when I get back. BTW, I wasn't disappointed with the wood on the gun.

Rod

#97 ·
I picked my 547 .22 up a couple of weeks ago. I've only had the opportunity to shoot it at 50 feet (indoors - the weather hasn't been coorperating here).

I have a Cooper 57 LVT and a Remington 541T HB. The new 547 won't shoot with either of the other guns (yet). I also received a test target from Remington fired at 100 yards that shows less than 1 inch.

I'm out of town for a couple of weeks. I'll post pictures of the gun and target when I get back. BTW, I wasn't disappointed with the wood on the gun.

Rod
I only own Remingtons so my options are less but like you I wasn't impressed with the accuracy of mine originally, got the number for the Custom Shop from the place I bought it and called them. Very nice, explained the target as they only had a hundred yard range upstairs. Shipped it to them and very quickly got it back with a repair tag that said "replaced barrel", new test target looks like 3 shots in .2 and 1 flier, .5 at 1:00 oclock. Shoots like they said it would now.
Too pretty to shoot though.

#106 ·
The test target from the Remington custom shop was probably fired in a hurry. I got one of the first 40XC's in .223 and was quite impressed with the test target. Obviously the custom shop guy that fired it took his time and knew how to shoot from the bench at 100 yards. I paid $1200 for that rifle through Champions Choice in 1991. It would now cost $3000!!!!!!!

#108 ·
#109 ·
Not As Bad ... As I Had Expected

The information I received from Remington is not as bad as I had anticipated.
Posted this question at the Remington Online Help Center....
Customer (aom22)03/17/2009 02:40 PM What is the MSRP for the 547 Custom Classic,
547 Custom Target and 547 Custom "C" Grade.
When will we be able to purchase the Target and "C" Grade?
... When I get a response I will post the information.
Dear aom22,
Thank you for visiting Remington Country!
We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write in with your question.

The prices are $1284.00, $1407.00 and $1865.00.
These guns take 5 to 6 months when ordered.

Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our
Consumer Services Department at 800-243-9700, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, EST, Monday through Friday.

#111 · (Edited)
Been in the market for a new .22LR, and went into Gander Mtn. and saw a Rem. 547 Custom. I didn't know of this model, but fell in love with the overall quality and its "lines" and overall "feel" being similar to my Rem. 700 BDL (.270 Win). Found this Fourm and its excellent info. and after some research (with the Remington Custom Shop and Shilen Rifles) became the proud owner of the 547. Plan to pass it down to my son...

A few pics:

Test target supplied:

BTW, I contacted Shilen and found out they use Eley for their own testing and then called the Rem. Custom Shop and found out that they use Federal Match for the test target supplied. I plan to carefully break it in on SK Rifle Match. Should be a nice companion to my '89 Smith Model 41...

Thanks again for a great Forum !

#113 ·
Better Looking Wood ... More Impressive Target.

Been in the market for a new 22LR, and went into Gander Mtn. and saw a Rem. 547 Custom...
Better looking wood than my rifle ... and, a more impressive target.
Congratulations AJK 547 ... I'm envious - aom22 :bthumb:

How about posting some more pictures?
I'd love to see more of your rifle.

#114 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words guys...:) The only reason why I posted in the first place was to show the apparent variability in the walnut stock (even on the std. Custom) and the inherent accuracy of the match grade Shilen barrel. This is why I fell for this piece the first time I saw it. Also the factory grouping seemed to be well within guaranteed spec. so I quickly snatched it up!!! (Found out that when I put it on hold (to do my research on this excellent Forum), three other perspective buyers were in line if I let her go... glad I didn't)... BTW, aom-22 it were the pics you took of your own beautiful piece that made me "pop" on this one... thanks for the excellent photo doc !!!:

Best I could do with flash (I applied lemon oil and a quality wax to bring out the wood grain):

Recent addition of 6.5-20 EFR:

Carefully checked the factory grouping this morning and it came out to 0.8220". The Factory test target was shot 11-07-07 for my own #1424 and I find it interesting aom-22 that your own #1431 was shot 04-23-08. Only 7 547 Custom 22LR's were produced in the 5 1/2 month timeframe??? Very low production volume it seems:

When you have had the chance to test some .22lr ammo, let me know what you come up with so I can compare if you don't mind. :) My initial tests will have to be @ 25 yds. sad to say...

#115 ·
Lemon Oil and Wax Treatment

... BTW, aom-22 it were the pics you took of your own beautiful piece that made me "pop" on this one...
thanks for the excellent photo doc ....
AJK 547 ... you are being much too modest.

Considering the high-gloss bluing of the barrel and action of the 547 Custom,
I'd like my stock to have a complimentary glossy finish as well.

As such, I'm very tempted and would like to treat my stock as you did.
However, I very concerned about doing it properly.

Could you describe the technique you used with the lemon oil and wax?
Also, what did you do differently in the checkered areas?

#116 · (Edited)
For me it's the KISS method aom-22... I carefully wipe the stock down, then thoroughly wipe it down again with alchohol, next use a lemon oil on the stock and checkering to give (expecially the checkering) a natural wood sealent as you know. (I could use Tru-Oil but I don't want to alter the production finish in any way).

Finally, I use a German Carnauba car wax called FUZION (please don't laugh !) since it contains one of the purest "white" natural Carnauba's on the market. Just a light coat, microfiber the wax to desired luster. (I use this same method to preserve the Goncalo Alves grips on the Model 41 to good measure.) BTW, I didn't apply the wax to the checkering (only used the natural lemon oil) as a natural sealent.

As you know, with the new synthetic finishes on our pieces is it needed??? Probably not... However, I still like the slightly more glossy look like you do...:bthumb: In the process I don't think I've altered the original finish in any way... Just sealed and preserved any imperfections. I've carefully looked at the piece and Remington did an excellent job on the clear satin finish (no imperfections as I could see).

Really, if you have a better procedure/products, I'm all ears!!! :)

#117 · (Edited)
1st Test Session...

Just a couple of pics from 1st test session @ 25 yds. (sad to say...). Only could use a simple front bag with no provision for rear bag rest at indoor range:

SK Rifle Match (3rd 5 round set):

Federal Gold Medal (711B):

Took about 15 rounds for the barrel to settle in on either SK Rifle Match or Federal Gold Medal. The overall groupings were similar between SK and Federal ... BTW, the trigger breaks very nicely with just a slight hint of "creep" and no over-travel. Pull wgt at present is 4.05 lbs (factory).

Things should improve with additional break-in and extending the range to normal distances (with full benchrest). Very tight machining tolerances as you can guess, and bolt/action was beginning to smooth out at end of this 1st session (150) rnds.

Haven't shot .22LR rifle since '73 so go easy on me guys!!!! Very pleased with its performance "out of the box"... Havin' a blast... :)

#118 · (Edited)
Update to 1st test session

Guys, based on my initial tests of the 547, I'm in the process of putting a Leup. VX-3 6.5-20X40 EFR on it and redo the testing at an outdoor range that supports 25, 50 and 100yds. I found out the 547 deserves it...

The first test was with a Leup. VX-II 3-9X40 I had (at a poorly lit 25yd indoor range) and issues of focus, parallex, power, Std. Duplex reticle x-hairs too thick, etc. came up as you can imagine. Still, I wanted to see if I had any mechanical issues with the rifle... None surfaced...

I plan on re-testing with the SK Rifle Match, and Federal 711B and if I can get things sorted out at 50 yds I'll also test some Wolf Match Extra, Eley Match EPS, Eley 10-X, as well as some Federal Match 922A and UltraMatch UM22.

Aom22/Dany have either of you had a chance to do any testing of your own 547's and what have been your results/reactions so far? Just curious...

:)

#119 ·
Priorities

... Aom22/Dany have either of you had a chance to do any testing of your own 547's
and what have been your results/reactions so far? Just curious...?
Can't wait to see some of your targets at range - 50 and 100 yards.

No Sir, I haven't fired my rifle - yet. :banghead3 :coco:
I haven't mounted a telescopic sight. :shakehead
I've been spending money on another rifle. :yippee:
And saving some money for another project rifle. :)
Instead of buying telescopic sights. :(

Your question have given me pause to reconsider my priorities. :confused:

#122 · (Edited)
Custom Match Chamber design for the 547

I was curious as to the very tight chamber design (Bentz, Eley EPS, etc.) used in the 547 22lr and contacted Shilen and got this response:

Shilen:
"It is a customized match chamber.
All testing and assembly is done by Remington."

*** I was still curious about the "customized match chamber" and what that meant... A call directly from Keith ( Customer Service Rep.@ the Rem. Custom Shop) said he went back to the assembly area in the CS and found out that a "Customized ELEY EPS Match Chamber" is used on the 547 22lr. Keith also mentioned that some of these initial 22lr chambers were "too tight" so they loosened up on the specs a smidge (his own words). The Custom Shop wanted to allow for a bit easier bolt cycling...

I stand corrected in that when I first talked to the Custom Shop the rep. thought the test targets were shot with Federal "Match" but Keith said they use Eley "EPS" for their testing and targets... (he verified that with the individual who shoots the targets)...

Interesting...

Just wanted to post this to keep it in the database...

#123 ·
#125 · (Edited)
Eley EPS Match Chamber

Rex' - I thought you might want to see a pic I took of a rnd. I chambered from my own Rem. Eley Club XTRA I had on hand. It clearly shows the "engraving" on the bullet... You can see the marks all the way down past the gas check ring... When I talked to Keith (from the Rem. Custom Shop) they wanted a very tight spec. for enhanced accuracy.

Remington ELEY CLUB XTRA:

I found no "powder burn marks" on any of the casings I examined after my 1st session.

Guess we'll have to get use to this tight chamber Rex' :bthumb:

#127 · (Edited)
Rex' - a "firmer" push than with the SK Rifle Match or Federal 711B, but nothing that I would say would be abnormal for a "match grade" chamber... Really...

For example, if I manually insert a Federal 711B (bullet dia. ~0.2230"), the round will easily "fully chamber", where as the Rem. Club XTRA (bullet dia. ~0.2245") will have ~ 1/8" spacing between the rim and chamber. You can see how tight the chamber is. (BTW, I called CZ-USA today and they said they us a 22LR "Standard" chamber for their 452 Americans. That chamber should accept just about any 22lr feed you give it.)

Maybe a call into the Rem. Custom Shop (1-315-895-3288) would be in order ...You may need to leave a voice mail but they will return your call that same day... I mentioned to Keith that you are having accuracy concerns and he said he would like to have you call him directly to discuss. Let us know what you come up with!

(If anyone is curious, I'm really not on the Remington payroll...:D)

#129 · (Edited)
Update on 547

Finally got a Leup. 6.5-20X40 EFR that functioned as smoothly as I wanted (for both the power and AO helicoids... I know... picky, picky !!!) and if weather conditions permit, I should get some 50 yd. results in the next few weeks...

Will initially be using SK Rifle Match and Fed. 711B for setup, then if things seem to be fine, I'll test with Eley TENEX EPS, Match Black EPS, Fed. UM22, 922A some RWS Rifle Match and Wolf Match Xtra thrown into the mix.

BTW, the glass on this new VX-3 has significantly better contrast than my older VX-III's...

#130 · (Edited)
2nd 25yd. test session...

Couldn't wait to see if I had any issues with the Leup. 6.5-20 EFR and got these results with Fed. 711B (50 rnds) and Wolf Match Xtra (30 rnds.) at an indoor range again. Again, simple front bag only (no provision for rear bag rest...:mad:... ):

I noticed nice consistency between the Fed. and SK / Wolf which is good. I had one of my last Fed. 711B sets group in the low 0.1"s but that consistent "flyer" dropped ~ 0.25" low (I noticed this was a relatively consistent pattern with the Federal 711B). BTW, the Wolf ME grouped a bit tighter and only displayed 1 "flyer" in the 30 rounds that were shot. (Took 15 rnds. to have the barrel settle in on going from the Fed. to Wolf.) This is consistent from my first session.

On going from the Fed. to Wolf ME (wet and dry patched) the initial 5 rnd. set was in the 0.75" range. By the third set, the Shilen bbl grouped consistently as above...The Shilen definitely needed to get used to the different lube.

The 547 has had only 225 rnds. sent through it... Still breakin' in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.