Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

541 Trigger Adjustment

97K views 65 replies 49 participants last post by  WileyG 
#1 ·
Guys, I was doing some maint. cleaning on my 541 THB, took the stock off and am now intrigued about the trigger adjustment screws.

Anyone have ideas on what each screw does to adjust. I have one behind the trigger assembly and two in the front.

I would like to reduce the creap and lighten it up if I can.

Thanks to all in advance for your help.

SteveG66

#53 ·
This is an old thread, but I just adjusted my 541T from almost 4 lbs. down to slightly over 2, far as it would go. All I did was back out the trigger pressure screw. I am the original owner of this rifle which I bought over ten years ago. Never really liked it because of the trigger so it has been in a safe. Strange thing is there was no glues, coatings,nail polish etc. on any of my screws. All I did was take the action out of the stock and back out the one screw and now I have a rifle that shoots like my Kimber

#54 ·
I just purchased a model 541-t today. The trigger checked out at 5#. I took the stock off and thought I was going to adjust it just as I did on my 541-s. But guess what?
It isn't like the s model. It has only two screws in the front. No rear screw. The best I can get on weight is 2 1/2 lbs. O.K. but was hoping for better. Another thing I noticed is that the barrel is free floated. It is the Heavy barrel model. I checked the stock and there has been no after market smithing done on it. It has the Remmy finish front to aft. Did not know that they were free floated. I don't remember the one I sold being free floated.

Living better through lowered expectations.

#59 ·
541S adjustment

Thought I'd add a comment to this stick regarding the 541S. First, in my experience the lower front tension screw does nothing to reduce pull weight unless it is set to be heavy. I used this rifle to shoot NRA Master in Sporter Rifle and had adjusted the trigger to a nice crisp 2 lbs. Now I use it for long rang silhouette shooting out to 400 yds. Early this year I noticed that the trigger was a bit erratic and the safety had stopped working. Disassembly revealed that the roll pin that holds the trigger assembly to the action had walked out of one of the holes. So, I would recommend that the pin get a dab of JB Weld or similar to keep it from moving.

Getting back to trigger pull, with the tension screw/spring removed, I could not get below 2.5 lbs without adjusting the sear engagement. Today, I readjusted the overtravel per the instructions given here and then tweaked the sear until the action stayed reliably cocked. The trigger is now a very crisp 1.4 lbs and it is almost impossible to perceive any movement when it breaks. The click is the give away.

#60 ·
Is there any way to modify the 541X trigger for weight, OT and sear engagement?
A couple of added set screws, changed springs and polished sear can go a lo0ng way
and is reversable. You can see, with some 9 and 3 micron AO PSA backed lapping film, it is easy to get a 2AA finish or better. Shown in the upper left hand corner.

Does anyone make an aftermarket trigger for her?

Attachments

#63 ·
My first post on this forum, and I find this thread to be very interesting!! I have had a 541T for about 25 years and am just now getting familiar with it. Aging joints and old eyes make soft recoil and target magnification helpful in enjoying this sport. I will give the adjustment recommendation at the beginning of this thread a try and see if I can lighten the trigger pull a tad. The current trigger pull is crisp, with little over-travel and take-up, but I would like it to be a bit lighter. To the shop!!!!!!!

#66 ·
I took the barreled action of my lightly used 541-S out of the stock twice to try the adjustment posted at the beginning of this thread. The first time was a trial run to familiarize myself with the trigger and procedure. I got the trigger down to 2lb 2oz and left it there. It's a few days later now and I just now just finished my 2nd adjustment getting the trigger down to 1lb 11oz and put red fingernail polish on all 3 screws. This will be my squirrel rifle. Now I have my other 541-S and my 541-T HB to do. Looking forward to range testing with all 3 :)