Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 12c project gun - Part 5

905 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  GladesGuy 
#1 ·
Continued from part 4

Stain used was Birchwood Casey Walnut and it went on really well. The old wood soaked it up, no issues. Applied, light sanding, applied again to get it a little darker.

Another coat of bluing to make sure I didn't miss anything, and some details on the other parts that I had previously steel wool'ed and used blue remover on.
The blue remover didn't do anything on the loading tube, so I ended up with rough steel wool and then sanding just to get it off. It was another really rough part but cleaned up enough to put new blue on.

I did a refitting of the parts after polishing and cleaning. I still have some work to do on the wood, oil and wax to make it shiny, but that will take at least a week or so from here.

So if your considering a clean up and bringing an old workhorse back to life, but have doubts of putting it off, hopefully this will help inspire you.

From the time I started into this, to the point I'm at now was about a week. I didn't have a lot of time over the last week to work on this, so it was really only about an hour a night to get it where it is now.

Even though it's not perfect, and it still has marks, scratches, and wear marks, it's like a brand new firearm compared to what it was and it's really awesome to see this play out on a 100+ year old firearm.

:bthumb:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks all, still have some touch up work this week on it.
I read the sticky on fixing old screws, thats on my list to do.

The wood is all off this tonight and drying with the first coal of oil. It's looking slightly darker than I wanted, but hoping when it dries it's good.
I still have a few coats to go till it shines, that old wood is soaking it up really fast still.

My next project is waiting in the wings.

My Great Uncle's Remington Model 24. That one is in much better shape and should be really fun.

#7 · (Edited)
Thought I'd post an update.
I'm still working on restoring this old rifle, I've been putting Tung Oil on the wood and cleaning the bolt and inside the receiver.

My next to-do item is going to be screws, I read through this thread:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475090
and it inspired me to fix all of the old screws.

Here's a pic of it as it sits today.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.