Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 12c project gun - Part 4

561 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sulfur-n-steel 
#1 · (Edited)
Continuation of part 3

The receiver was rough too. It looked like someone used plyers to crank down or open or both the take down bolt. Rounded tool marks were deep cut all around it.
I polished those as best I could, and since I started into this as a fun project, decided I would just polish the cuts and come back to it someday and fill these in (maybe lol).

I hit everything with Birchwood Casey Super Blue to try to get a dark blue color like the original would have been. The work on all the steel really paid off here because the bluing took exceptionally well, or at least I think so for as bad as it looked when I started.

I moved on to the wood. The wood wasn't really too bad. The old vanish was rubbed off and patchy, but no moisture got to the wood, so it was strong and sanded up really well. I used a detail sander starting with 80 grit to strip the old vanish and moving up to 120, 200, and so on up to 600.

Once I got down to bare wood though, it was easy to remember that this was still old wood, and that it had cut outs in it. It's not visible here, but I should have been more careful around the edge that connects to the receiver because I had some very small chips were the wood was thin and I didn't realize it was.

On to part 5

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.