Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 12c project gun - Part 2

705 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  sulfur-n-steel 
#1 · (Edited)
Continuation of Part 1

I started out with Birchwood Casey blue and rust remover. I'd used this before, but not on something this rough. The steel was still rusty and blotchy after using the rust remover. You can see in the next few images, the receiver and barrel still look bad.

Most of the old bluing did come off, but I've never worked with steel in this condition before, so wasn't sure of the best way to proceed.

After that I came here asking for help. Originally I questioned the responses, but then realized after some others that I was being stubborn, and since I don't have experience with old steel like this, it was time to listen to some people who have.

The recommendation was draw filing. I thought it would remove too much of the old letter and detail, but in the end it didn't, and it was absolutely the correct course of action, and thanks to all who helped in that thread!

To credit all those will great info and help, here's a link to the thread with responses in case anyone else needs it I needed help!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.