Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

540XR Trigger ID?

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  HUSHKABOOM 
#1 ·
I picked up a 540XR from Gunbroker. Likely won’t have it in person until the end of next week. I have a 540X with an original trigger that I have spent some time with. This is a photo of the trigger on the new to me 540XR. I don’t believe this is the original Remington trigger, but I could be wrong. The photo shows what I believe is an adjustment accessible from below. Memory tells me the Remington adjustments were on the front and back of the trigger assembly, not the bottom. Anyone recognize this particular trigger from this photo?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you

Thank you for the replies. This makes me feel better about my purchase actually. The assumption that this was a better trigger was part of my purchase decision. I appreciate the help. Does anyone have adjustment instructions available? I will try it first for sure, but it's always good to have more information on hand.

Thanks again.
John

#6 · (Edited)
Don't know much about them but in the photo where it shows 2.5, I think that is the weight that it was set at from Canjar. There are enough of them around I am sure some one will be along soon with instruction. Probably google search will find results also. Winchester 52 Canjar in trading post now for $375. Maybe I gave you a low estimate!

#8 ·
Got the 540XR the other day and got to the range Sunday. Had some issues with the bolt coming out when I worked the action.

Took the stock off to have a look and noticed a couple things. A previous owner had placed a shim of some kind under one side of the rear most part of the trigger. Second, the safety lever was tight against the barrel and rubbing bluing when worked. Thinking that may have bound the bolt stop in some way, but I’m guessing. If the shim was to prevent that it seemed to be on the wrong side. Even with the shim out there is still contact between the safety lever and the barrel.

It is definitely a Canjar trigger. Any thoughts on how to create just a little space to prevent rubbing?

#9 ·
Canjar/Bolt issues

Still having some bolt/triggers issues...if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the advice. Frequently (not every time, but too many to make me happy), the bolt will slide freely out of the action when I work the bolt. These are the triggers that require the safety lever to be pushed forward for a normal bolt release.

I have had the trigger off and back on the action many, many times now. I can say that I have become quite quick at getting everything apart and back together. I had an idea that the spring on the bolt release might have become weak and replaced it with the same size, but longer spring. Bolt didn't come out, but there was too much pressure and the trigger didn't function. I shortened my new spring and tried again. Bolt and trigger function both seemed to work, but the rifle would fire with the safety engaged. I put the original spring back in and I am right back to where I started...safety now works, trigger works, but bolt stop frequently doesn't prevent the bolt from releasing.

Remember, this is a Canjar trigger, not the original Remington trigger. Could my problem really be in the bolt and I am chasing the wrong thing with the bolt stop in the trigger?

Thank you so much for any help.

John

#11 ·
Canjar Bolt stop

I don't have a photo, but the top of the bolt stop looks to have pretty crisp edges.

Curious if you know this...can I adjust the pull weight too low on these triggers such that the safety will not work? The safety is not working and it could be the adjustment is off, but maybe I need to look elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.