Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Any Love for the 504?

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  SquirrelAssassin 
#1 ·
The LGS has one on the used rack. It is a pretty rifle.

How does the 504 stack up, vis-a-vis the 540?

#3 ·
Definitely nice looking rifles. The bolt handle may get loose but that is easy to fix with Loctite on the screw on the bottom of the handle. Many people have had issues with accuracy. Earlier ones may be more accurate. I have 2 and have re-barreled both. If I remember right one was not very accurate and the other wasn't too bad but I got a favor on the re-barreling. Both shoot great and I am very happy with them.

#4 ·
I once owned 3 of the 504 rifles. The thing that I really loved about the sporter version was the stock dimensions and the heft and feel of the rifle, almost felt like a centerfire rifle. One was in .17M2 and another in .22 lr. The .17M2 was very accurate, the one in .22lr just so so, plenty accurate for squirrel hunting. They had a very good adjustable trigger. My main reason for selling mine was simply that I had other rifles that I liked better.

#9 ·
Yes ...a very nice trigger that's adjustable although I left mine as it came . A good looking ,nice handling .22 bolt action. Some owners were unhappy with the accuracy of their 504 in .22 lr . As I said earlier mine shoots well , every bit as good as my 541T which I had professionally pillar bedded . My 504 remains as it came from Remington . The bolt handle did come loose but was easily corrected .
They make an excellent small game rifle & mine has taken it's share of squirrels as well as ground hogs. The groundhogs I stalk to within approx. 50 yds and take head shots.

#10 ·
This was another rifle I didn't know anything about. I was in my local LGS about four months ago looking for primers to reload 410 shells. He had a 504 in perfect condition on the rack. It was a 17M2 with a nice Leupold Scope to boot.

I bought it because:
- It looks very nice
- Flush magazine
- Fit and finish was nice
- walnut stock
- cerakote barrel
- smooth action
- price with scope was $600

I didn't try to get a "deal" because frankly this local guy is struggling with supply. I was happy to pay his marked price.

When I got it home I did a bit of googling and read some posts that indicated the rifle might not be great in the accuracy dept. I went out and shot a group at about 30 yards (it was very cold). Holes touching. Mine shoots great.

I'm very pleased with the rifle although I needed it like I need another orifice in my noggin!:). However, I might like this 504 better than my Lilja-barreled 457? Have to shoot em together to see. Definitely like the walnut sporter stock much better than beech or laminate.

#12 ·
The 504 was one of those rifles that could have and should have been better than it turned out to be. Remington apparently was in too big a hurry to get it on the market and really should have done more testing before releasing it. Quite a few did have problems with a lack of satisfactory accuracy, and Remington recalled a bunch to do something to improve the accuracy. Evidently the barrel/receiver attachment had a lot to do with this. I believe there are some who have reported improvement after modifying this attachment or adding epoxy or something similar. Others have replaced their barrels with aftermarket ones and have seen considerable improvement.
The basic design of the action is quite good, and the triggers can be adjusted to give excellent pulls. While I like the overall weight and balance of the rifle, I'm honestly not a big fan of the stock shape. It's a bit too beefy, and I wish they had adopted something more like the stock on the M541-S or T.
The action was later used on a really excellent rifle, the Model 547, available only from the Custom Shop (Dakota), and from what I understand they were not only beautiful, but quite accurate as well.
My Model 504 is a very nice, well-made rifle. Accuracy is OK, but that's about it. I can average about 3/4 - 1 inch groups at 50 yards with good ammo. I have several rifles that cost quite a bit less and are more accurate.

#13 ·
I went down that "Rabbit Hole" with the 504 --mine has been bedded--bbl lapped- trigger 14 O/Z still not near as accurate as any of my 581's

I have a factory 17 MK2 bbl and it shoots decent -had one of my take off Benchrest Sporter barrels fitted and it is Fair-- .

The ONLY rimfire that I put more $$$ and time into with equal results was a 77/22

Jim

#14 ·
My experience with this rifle mirrors others. Not one of Remingtons shining moments. Seek out a 541 series rifle, except for the plastic magazine, which in 5 round form very dependable makes the the rifle look cheap. These rifles usually shoot very well. I did have one I sold off because it did not meet my accuracy requirements but I have 8 others that do shoot well. The 504?? It went down the road long ago do not miss it a bit. It was a early production also and they were supposed to be better than the later production 22 long rifle versions.

#17 ·
I bought 2 of them originally, sold one, and still have one. I really like mine....a lot, enough so that I wish I hadn't sold the other one.
I keep thinking I should pick up another one to play around with.
These were well designed rifles and like others said it is to bad Remington didn't work more with them and keep producing them.

#18 ·
I posted on mine earlier. This is a very classic-shaped rifle.

I was teetering on the deep-end of buying a very expensive .22 rifle the past few days. I won't say what because folks here will think I'm nuts. But this rifle reminds me very much of the one I was thinking about, for 1/10th the cost!

I have to shoot it more to really evaluate it better.

#20 ·
I've got one in 17 HMR and it's the most accurate HMR I own, which includes an Anschutz 1517 MPR and 1727L along with a couple CZ's and Savages. I find the action to be buttery smooth, it almost feels like there is no firing pin spring, the bolt just floats.

I've heard the .22LR aren't shooters, but I'd pick one up with the plan of putting a new barrel on it from the start.

#21 ·
I have one in 22LR that was rebarreled from 17HM2, the 17 was blowing rims off and the former owner had it rebarreled with a match grade 22 True-Flite tube by Master gunsmith Allan Carr here in New Zealand
My gun shoots 5 shots touching at 50 yards with good ammo
I'm impressed, it is better than my Rem 541-S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.