Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 550-1 and Winchester 22 Shorts

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  HUSHKABOOM 
#1 ·
All I had a blast today with the old rifle Remington 550-1 and some 22 Shorts. I was not sure they would fire reliably but they did. What a blast and what fond memories it brought back.

Which is quieter Remington 550-1 and 22 Shorts

Or

S&W Victory and Gemtech Suppressor with CCI-SV

#2 ·
I shot my 550-1 today. I find it to be very quiet with .22 shorts, and almost silent with either CCI .22 LR SV or CCI .22 Short CB rounds.

The 550-1 is my favorite .22 semi-auto ever made. My 18 year old son shot with it today and the smile on his face said everything! He told me that I could sell our Ruger 10-22 after he emptied the first tube mag in the 550-1.

#3 ·
I started a thread on this rifle a couple of days ago. I bought mine many years ago, don't remember when. Think I shot it once, it's been just sitting in my closet ever since, ignored for decades. But I've been doing some housekeeping recently and pulled it out for a closer look. I'm impressed, it feels like a real rifle. This one has a handling mark or two, but the metal is mint and the stock would be except for the marks. I looked them up on the auction sites and am surprised at their value. Maybe I'll post up some photos. What's their reputation here?

#5 ·
My dad bought a 550-1 from his uncles hardware store in 1949. He shot tens of thousands of rounds in it over the years. He could take a 12 ga hull and jump it up a dirt bank keeping it going higher until he ran out of ammo. I shot it a lot from the time I was old enough to shoot it. I remember shooting a 1/4" rope in half with it consistently at 50ft. when I was 10 or so. The rope was holding 22 targets and that was too easy so I attacked the rope.
Dad passed away in 1992 and I inherited it from him. I have shot it some but not like he did. I remember cleaning it 0nce when I was about 12. Dad said he only cleaned it a couple of times in all the years he shot it.

I bought a 550-1 at a gun show in the early 1980's. It was grooved for a scope. I shot it some but back then I didn't need a scope and when I found something I liked more it went down the road. But I still have dads and will shoot it more when I retire at the retirement home.

#9 ·
That was it. Grandma would make me some Red Koolade, a sandwich with real butter and home made bluebarry jam. Give me a few rounds of .22 ammo for the 61 and a chair. I had to guard the Blueberry patch and cherry trees from the varmints. Aint been the same since!:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.