Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
Well said. I cringe when I hear of people taking 100 yard shots at squirrels. I limit my shots to 25 yards or less rested on a tree or something else.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. When I said critters I wasn't referring to game animals but rather to varmints. Coyotes and down in size.

"The way some if us write about our shooting prowess defies credibility. And it is damaging to the new shooters coming into the sport as if they believe these writings, they may not continue all while feeling bad about themselves. Let us try and be honest please."

David- I don't know which poster you're referring to but no one here seems to be making dishonest claims.

gmd1950- Having sighted my BMag in .5 high at 50 yards I sent 5 rounds down range to 150 yards at a 100 yard KYL rack set up at the Club, going from largest down all 5 shots were hits holding top edge. I was pretty impressed by a rifle I had declared unworthy in my first version. I'm guessing Ground Hogs will be in mortal danger out to 250 or so yards once I work out my hold overs.

I appreciate you saying this about the Bmag, Gerald. I know you've been critical of the Savage .17 WSM in the past and glad to hear it's shooting well for you. I really think it'd do much better if they had better quality control during ammo production. Same with the .22 mag.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:22 PM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksdale123 View Post
Non hunter question: Sounds like you are shooting at rather small critters. Would lots of knock down power in the vital areas spoils a lot of the meat? Also, if there are egg shooting contests, and people het the egg, is a head shot the logical choice.
Just as an FYI: The "vital" portion of the head (brain) is much smaller than the head overall. Just because you can hit an egg does not inherently mean you can cleanly head-shoot a critter with an egg-sized head.

Regarding meat destruction, rimfire cartridges don't cause extensive bloodshot away from the point of impact, but on such small critters you can't afford to lose much at all- a chest shot that passes through the offside shoulder is a significant meat loss. Additionally, a lethal hit on the thoracic vitals often results in smaller critters running extended distances and not being recovered. I once hit a squirrel three times though the chest (all three rounds transiting the heart/lungs) and the danged thing still came out of the tree it was in, ran to another, and climbed 15' up into it before expiring. The same cartridge/rifle combo has never failed to quickly kill a grouse or rabbit for me. Thus the premium on headshots for rodents...
Old 04-09-2021, 12:41 PM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksdale123 View Post
Non hunter question: Sounds like you are shooting at rather small critters. Would lots of knock down power in the vital areas spoils a lot of the meat? Also, if there are egg shooting contests, and people het the egg, is a head shot the logical choice.

BTW I have eaten fish that I have caught, quite when they started [putting defoliant into the water ways to kill the hyacinth out here. It was deemed "safe". I have found over the years a healthy distrust of gov't is warranted. I wouldn't want to kill anything I wasn't going to eat or that was a real pest. Also, have only a few times eaten wild game (venison sausage, really good, and wild turkey, way to gamey for my pallet.

As far as squirrels and similar-size game is concerned, a head, neck, or thorax shot usually results in a quick kill and should not waste much edible meat.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:53 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
JMHO

no contest , it's definitely accuracy no matter how much knock down power , short of hand grenade or cannon fodder , if you hit an ear lobe , toe , or numerous other body parts it is not gonna stop targeted animal - sure will piss it off + make it run but thats all -

Last edited by schutzen-jager; 04-09-2021 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2021, 01:07 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
Considering the .22 through the .22 mag to the .17 HMR and including the .17 WSM, at what distance does knock down power become more important than pinpoint accuracy?
At the point of diminishing returns.
Pin point accuracy?? Good luck with that Alum.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
For your consideration, from my mentors of the past:
Use enough 'gun for the game'.
Put the bullet 'where the critter lives'.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:11 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
At the point of diminishing returns.
Pin point accuracy?? Good luck with that Alum.
Oops. Thatís almost as bad as ďall day long if I do my part.Ē Letís scratch that word.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm voting for accuracy too. If you can't hit them you can't knock them down.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:01 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I'm a gopher hunter and for me accuracy is a step a head of the knock down power

..but I like both worlds mixed together in a good round

Wind changes the game..the .17 HMR for those days. Yesterday morning the wind was at 25-30, was shooting with it in the field...ripping'em apart at~100-125 yds

.22 gets weird in the winds and cross wind would have not worked

pipestone
Old 04-09-2021, 10:33 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
pipestone- you have the striped gophers like we have here? Or some variant of them? How big are they? Pocket gophers actually do more damage to haying equipment with their dirt mounds and concealed entrances. I used to trap them as a kid.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:20 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Love gopher season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_ground_squirrel

pipestone
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Great shooting. It appears to be considerably bigger than the 13 lined ground squirrel here. Do they stand up when you whistle? Thanks!