Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

40XB prone rifle - Which trigger?

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  7815wayne 
#1 ·
Just got the new prone stock for my 40XB from Richards Microfit. It will be pillar bedded and finished over the winter. Ultimately, I plan to replace the factory trigger (currently ~18 oz) with an aftermarket one that can be safely adjusted much lighter that the factory unit. The question is Jewel, Timney, or Shilen? Care to discuss the pros and cons of what's available? At this point I am leaning towards a Jewel, but really like the Timney trigger shoes and trigger position\LOP adjustability.

To get started:

Jewell HVRTSBR - $215 - 1.5oz to 3 lb. Only available in curved trigger, with or w\o safety and bolt release.

Timney Calvin Elite Custom - $250 - 8oz to 2.5 lbs. I like the trigger shoes and it has safety and bolt release

Shilen Competition CroMo - $155 - 2oz to 6 oz (Standard trigger starts and 1.5 lbs so the competition is the only option). Don't think is has an option for bolt release and safety.

#5 ·
Tim,
Bix n Andy does make a trigger for the Rem 700\40x action. I specifically left the B&A OFF the list as I see it as the same as a Warner rear sight for HighPower. Both are a great pieces of engineering but neither are (to me personally) worth twice the cost of a Jewell trigger, or a PNW rear sight. Mind you, I am NOT saying that I would not want a B&A trigger, or a Warner rear sight if someone were to give me one at a price I felt worth it.

#7 ·
In prone, being able to get the trigger in a position that fits you is much more important than BR or even F class. If a Jewell does not fall in exactly the right place for you (might check one in someone else's 40X), I'd go with a Timney. I like the Timney Tactical which is adjustable fore & aft. It's 2-10 oz. as I recall, and while no safety or bolt release, a safety is not needed for for competition since you only load when on the line and firing -- you don't carry it around loaded, which is the purpose of a safety. The bolt release can be activated with a small screwdriver; done it on many Rem. actions.

#10 · (Edited)
My wife and I both have Timney "Calvin Elite" two stage: triggers in our 40Xs and like them a lot. They are reasonable adjustable and NOT horribly expensive. We both have won matches with these rifles (Mini-Palma Open Prone, which (equipment wise) is very much like F-Open for 22s at 100 yards) and have both produced 15 shot groups WELL under an inch with them. Mine is the only smallbore rifle I have ever shot a so-called "perfect" 150-15X stage in the wind with. (Wonderful rifle, and definitely a lucky shooter!:eek:)

#8 · (Edited)
SBS,
Spent way too many years shooting service rifle and "making me fit the gun". Fixing trigger reach on a match rifle meant a rasp, sandpaper, bondo and trial and error. Some may call me crazy, but I actually like the Accu-Trigger in my savage bolt gun. Maybe that falls under "you don't know what you don't know".

You are definitely giving me some food for thought with respect to the Timney. I checked out there website and it seems they've changed their offerings a bit. They don't list anything below 8 oz but this one looks interesting:
https://timneytriggers.com/benchrest-replacement-trigger/

The B&A TacPro that Justinp61 mentioned looks interesting too...

Thanks to all, Keep the info coming...

Edited to add:

Anyone used the TrigerTech or CG units?

Just watched a utoob video about the B&A triggers that piqued my interest in them further. They definitely are a finely engineered unit and I have to that I really would like to have one. Also. the Trigger Tech units look like a copy of the B&A where they basically replaced the B&A ball bearings with pins.

#14 ·
SBS,
Spent way too many years shooting service rifle and "making me fit the gun". Fixing trigger reach on a match rifle meant a rasp, sandpaper, bondo and trial and error. Some may call me crazy, but I actually like the Accu-Trigger in my savage bolt gun. Maybe that falls under "you don't know what you don't know".

You are definitely giving me some food for thought with respect to the Timney. I checked out there website and it seems they've changed their offerings a bit. They don't list anything below 8 oz but this one looks interesting:
https://timneytriggers.com/benchrest-replacement-trigger/

The B&A TacPro that Justinp61 mentioned looks interesting too...

Thanks to all, Keep the info coming...

Edited to add:

Anyone used the TrigerTech or CG units?

Just watched a utoob video about the B&A triggers that piqued my interest in them further. They definitely are a finely engineered unit and I have to that I really would like to have one. Also. the Trigger Tech units look like a copy of the B&A where they basically replaced the B&A ball bearings with pins.
The CG is very good. Their advisory is to not adjust the release weight too low, otherwise the sear does not cock properly and may not reset if the release is aborted. My experience is with the 2 stage only . The rifle has shot clean Xes on the A23/5 and has cleaned the ISSF 50m.

#9 ·
The one you gave the link to is the "Remington Tactical" (fine print under the main heading) and is adj. from 4-10 oz. I have 2 of them on LR HP rifles and like them. You can even turn the finger piece around to the rear of the trigger and that gives you a lot of LOP adjustment. For smallbore, I like the Jewell for the money IF the finger piece winds up in the right place, but it's just too sensitive to the HP environment when you get down in the dirt with it and will also break a sear if you get a pierced primer (about a $50 repair).

#12 ·
My 40x has a Jewell. My wife likes it for BR although we (she) hasnt shot BR in 4 or 5 years now. BR is pretty much dead around here, never was very live.
If I recall back to ROTC rifle team days for four position the rifle had to hold 3# on the trigger.

Maybee that dont apply any more and maybe you dont do 4 Pos.

I have Timneys on about 4 other rifles. No trouble w/ any of em.

#16 ·
trigger tests

We just built up a bunch of custom 700s for some guys going prairie dog shooting.
Of all the triggers they spec'd here are our notes:

-T-Tech diamond 2 stage.....to look at it, it isn't impressive but this is THE 2 stage! the set screws have "clicks" for adjusting, makes it easy to get repeatable results but impossible to fine tune between detents. (This was the shop's overall favorite)

-ELF 700 precision....solid single stage unit, curved shoe leaves something to be desired. 2oz repeats every time! Brag about your bearings why dont ya? easy to adjust in the gun

-Jewel BR.....Stainless! at $200 this is probably the best single stage in production
2oz, very repeatable "Breaks" a little vague. you never feel it "load up" before kick off. Rock solid design and execution!

-Canjar LP......An oldy but a goody! little finicky to adjust but it's a 2oz trigger with tremendous "feel" (Aluminum welding wire shoe deflects a little before the break, NICE) nearly impossible to find. but worth looking for
(This was my favorite of the bunch)

They all worked flawlessly in the field save the LP which had to be adjusted for greater sear overlap.

#18 ·
My 40XB has a 2 oz. factory trigger. The gunsmith has a BR history going back to the 60's and his thought was the lack of consistency in the trigger when set at 2 oz. He recommended 4 oz and it I consistent but once a year should be cleaned with lighter fluid and air.
When the pull started to get a little heavy due to some grit it was cleaned and returned to 4 oz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.