HB Bmag’s purchased in the last year, performance - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)

Mine is close on the left side but not touching. I figured I'd leave it alone at this time. Gerald, I like the looks of the SS on yours. I couldn't find one of those in stock at my usual places so grabbed a regular HB in blue. I didn't want to invest a lot of $ in it in case all of the horror stories about the accuracy were true. I watched Cavedweller's Youtube videos as well and appreciated his tips about potential accuracy by looking at initial groups.

It's a fun rifle to shoot. Trigger is quirky but OK. Strange way to take gun apart to adjust the trigger. Typical Savage . . . good barrel on a relatively inexpensive rifle.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:47 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
$307 OTD at my local Wally World, a little more than I paid for my first one, I've got a Encore with MGM Barrel that shoots well but want a repeater in .17wsm. Hopefully this one will prove out, hoping for 2-2 1/2 inches at 200 yards, may be hoping for too much.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
$307 OTD at my local Wally World, a little more than I paid for my first one, I've got a Encore with MGM Barrel that shoots well but want a repeater in .17wsm. Hopefully this one will prove out, hoping for 2-2 1/2 inches at 200 yards, may be hoping for too much.
Maybe on a perfect zero wind day and all the stars aligning with getting that one special box/lot # of ammo.

If you have the time, a .17 cal bullet comparator, and you're trying to really squeeze the most from it I'd go through and measure base to ogive then sort them into groups based on that measurement. These rimfire ammo companies do a crap job of seating the bullets in this stuff and I've had boxes of 17 WSM ammo that had almost a 30 thou variance in seating depth and that's base to ogive not base to tip which is huge and plays he11 with POI.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Went to the range this morning to shoot the Bmag at longer distance. Used rangefinder to check before shooting: 137 yds. I had mounted a Mueller 6-18 AO. Of course, by the time I got set up, the wind was gusting 20 mph left to right so the possibility of good groups were out the window. Best group measured 1.5” with a wind aided hole out to the right.

I shot my HB Marlin 17 hmr at same target for comparison. Groups were similar. I think the 17 hmr will be more consistent though but who can tell on a day like this. Unseasonably hot 83 and breezy. Nice day for shooting, however.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:54 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
Went to the range this morning to shoot the Bmag at longer distance. Used rangefinder to check before shooting: 137 yds. I had mounted a Mueller 6-18 AO. Of course, by the time I got set up, the wind was gusting 20 mph left to right so the possibility of good groups were out the window. Best group measured 1.5 with a wind aided hole out to the right.

I shot my HB Marlin 17 hmr at same target for comparison. Groups were similar. I think the 17 hmr will be more consistent though but who can tell on a day like this. Unseasonably hot 83 and breezy. Nice day for shooting, however.
A good day at the range is better than no day at the range.
I put away the snowblower, shovels, and other spring stuff around the abode after battling with an irksome shopper at the grocery store.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:11 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Hmm...early signs are that I'm going to have to say something nice about the new BMag, it and a new CZ 457 with LW .17m2 barrel made their debut today and both where pleasing. No surprise with the LW barreled 457 but the all factory BMag was no slouch either. The sky was yellow with pollen and with my lungs I started not to go but curiosity was getting to me.

First target is at 25yards for rough sight in then the whole thing was moved to 50 yards.

Top three are the first 3 shots from the .17m2, it was really close...the lower left was the second shot from the BMag, the first being 5 inches low.

Having gotten a rough 25 yard zero I moved the whole frame back to 50 yards.

The two groups on the far right are 5 shot groups with the BMag using 20gr Win., the left the .17m2.

The black target was shot at 50 yards using the Win. 15 gr lead free load, pretty happy with them.

For such a low round count the BMag is showing a good bit of promise, don't tell Al I said so.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If memory serves Eric was pleasantly surprised with the no lead ammo also.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:09 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I saw that on his Channel, I accidentally ordered it due to a really low price some time back, the Encore shoots it okay and it looks like THIS BMag is going to also.