Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington Nylon Haters

6K views 46 replies 33 participants last post by  A square 10 
#1 ·
Was just browsing the rimfire section of 24 hour campfire forum (I'm not a member there) and saw a thread from May of this year where someone was asking about the Nylon 66.
4 pages of mostly hate, although a few did praise the Nylons.

Some of the comments were "terrible accuracy, terrible reliability, jam-o-matic, couldn't hit a gallon paint can at 50 feet, won't hold zero even with the irons, have two in the back of my safe and can't sell them", etc.

One guy said he's a lefty and he has never seen a rifle that hit him with more powder particles than the Nylon 66.
Odd because I'm a lefty, and I've NEVER been hit with any debris from my Nylons.
(My first .22 was a hand me down 550-1 and it blasted my face with powder particles every time I shot it).

Those comments were the exact opposite of my experiences. Mine has never jammed, and with common HV hunting ammo like Golden Bullets, Mini Mags and RWS HVHP, mine will group 3/8" to 1/2" at 25 yards, and holds zero.
I have a Williams peep mounted on the cover's dovetail, and a higher Williams fiber optic front sight.

Don't even mention Golden Bullets outside of the Remington section here, or you will be flamed. I admit I didn't shoot many back when they had priming problems years ago, then I mostly shot Super-X or Mini-Mags.
But all the GB's I've shot in the last 2 years all go bang, and are not far behind the Mini-Mags in all my rifles accuracy wise.

My new (old) SA-22, BL-22 and Ruger Single Six do very well with Goldens.

See less See more
#37 ·
I had some good times with my uncles nylon 66. He fashioned a rear aperture sight for it so it was easy to aim.

It isn't a rifle I'd buy today but I get a smile on my face when I see one.

#39 ·
Given today's market, if it is a safe queen with the sticker still there regardless of whether it is a 77 (15,000), 10C (128,000) or an Apache 77 (54,000) that is a good price. The Apache 77 is the green stock and matt finish on the metal that was the last Nylon made, expressly for K-mart.

#41 ·
Nylon 11

Purchased my cousins pawn shop inventory in December. He had all the guns in storage since 2003. One of the long guns was a very nice nylon 11 clip fed 22. Somewhat limited info online value wise. None on Gunbroker. Most forums talk about them going for 300-400 back in 2010. Know about 23000 made probably less than 18000 still exist.

#44 ·
I am heading to an auction tomorrow and they have one of every remington 66,77 there with the exception of the smooth bore. I have done a little research on these and I do plan on turning around and selling these at some point. I do know that the lever action, the 10, 11, 12 are in somewhat of a demand. I'm wondering if anyone could give me a good round about figure to bid on these?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.