Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I looked at a minty 521T today.

5K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  NHcollector2 
#1 ·
It is as new, includes a sling and the manual, priced in the upper $500s. There is no barrel mounted rear sight, just a blanking wedge, The rear sight is a Lyman 57RS, I think, it has a button that dismounts the sight for bolt removal. It has what appears to be a ten round magazine. This is the first of that model I've seen, I like it for it's size and weight, a bit lighter than a Winchester Model 75. If I get a "stimmy" check I think I'll get it, though a Remington Rolling Block in 7x57 is also calling to me. But there's no law, yet, that says I can't get both.

#36 ·
I find it very unlikely that so many rifles would have been grooved aftermarket by local gunsmiths. An expensive process at the time and does not even remotely fall in line with the number of aftermarket mods on other brand models like Winchester. While it does occur on occasion, you rarely ever see a Winchester with aftermarket grooving. Like an earlier poster mentioned, most were drilled and tapped for a side mount scope which was popular at the time. Right or wrong, I firmly believe that the majority of these grooved 521's were grooved at the factory. Nothing else makes any sense at all.

#47 · (Edited)
the 521's had to lowest production quantity of the 510 - 521 series - even the non factory grooved 521's are very few + far between - milling for tip off mounts became popular modification in early 60's when many retail sales were thru local gun shops + not mass merchandisers - scopes did not even become popular on .22's till early 1960's -thru most of the 40's + 50's scopes cost the same Or more then many rifles - check out some of the old American Rifleman magazines gun + scope ads from back in the day -

#39 ·
Hey, 'the check is in the mail'! Just go buy the thing already....the money to fill the kitty back up will show up soon enough.
Nice 521T's dont show up every day.

#49 · (Edited)
FYI

that does not look like an official Remington document , if it is it will have an RF with a form number reference on lower edge - + picture you posted does not show anything about grooving later receivers were produced from existing blanks in stock - the guide book is excellent but does contain errors - years back i questioned him about the globe front sights on the model 521's + he did not know exactly where he +Marcot obtained the information while he was researching Remington records - also your posting shows production dates from 1947 - 1968 , factory records state 1947 -1970 , - he still posts here on occasion + might chime in -

#54 · (Edited)
common knowledge that any non fiction book with that amount of pages with more then one author will contain errors + honest mistakes - note the productions dates posted in example given in picture in post #48 by you + the actual factory figures - also the statement about 521 factory globe front sights are not factory supported - + one author could not recall where they got info when questioned on this forum in the past -

all these years + numerous discussions on many forums + not one piece of factory evidence that factory grooved 521's ever existed - you can call me all the names you want but there are many serious advanced collectors that agree with me - you made a definitive statement that you owned a factory grooved 521 , how could you arrive at that conclusion logically on a 50+ year old gun that has changed owners + without any factory documented proof to validate your claim ? -
i suggest that you join the Remington society + spend a few years doing valid research on a subject before you reach any undocumented , unprovable conclusions - bottom line , 53 posts + 1402 views on this thread + not one piece of documented factory evidence has been posted that grooved 521's were ever produced or cataloged - i will say no more on subject + your lacking common sense comments here + elsewhere on this forum especially here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219533 on your post # 4 -

#56 ·
I have to put my two cents in on the grooved 521T discussion. I have a very nice one that I picked up at a gun show in New Berlin Illinois several years back with a grooved receiver. No reason to not believe it was not factory. The seller was much more knowledgeable than me. The fact that there is no documentation in any factory paperwork may or may not be proof that it was not ever done. These guns were manufactured in a factory to be sold. The factory had no idea that anyone would ever collect them. No reason to document every detail for posterity. Like many gun guys, I am also a car guy since I was a kid. A lot of things that the "experts" and all references claim that were never done actually were done. For example in 1964 you could not order a Ford station wagon with the 427 engine which came standard with the 4 speed transmission. A good friend of mine worked on the Ford assembly line and saw one come down the line in 1964. Since Ford no longer has all the production records from back then there is no way to prove that. There was also at least one T Bird that had the 427 with an automatic. My point is that sometimes you have to follow the evidence, existing rifles, not necessarily the documentation. Stevens rifles are another good example. The factory records were destroyed after WWI. The guns have to be documented by the gun themselves. No paper documentation exists. My contention is that just because the factory never bothered to document that the grooved receiver on the 521T does not mean that they didn't necessarily do it. The factory didn't care what we think today.
As far as slings on these rifles I personally question if they all came with them. I have most of the variations of the 500 series rifles. Many have the sling swivels. Few have the slings. Another question for the experts to kick around.

#59 ·
I went back to the shop today, it was sold. But that's fine, a rather diminutive woman, also a Moto Guzzi rider, bought it. The rifle is better suited to her than a Winchester Model 75 or several of the Mossberg target rifles, I'm sure she will get good use out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.