Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

512X Differences

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Collects 
#1 ·
Picked the rifle on the bottom up yesterday. Appears virtually unused. However, I’m wondering about a couple of things. First the stock is certainly different from my other rifle which is no doubt walnut. This one almost has a maple flavor to it.

Also the bolt on the upper rifle is case hardened where the bottom is not. Bottom one appears original to my untrained eye, but those 2 differences are making me wonder.

Top shows born May 65, bottom April 64. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Dear Winder,

They both look like American walnut to me. The difference is that: (1) the lighter one had been factory coated with lacquer without the typical reddish brown toner that is the hallmark of most steel and walnut rimfire rifles; or, (2) for whatever reason a previous owner refinished the stock and removed the factory lacquer and then re-coated with a colorless lacquer. I believe that this 2nd option is more likely as I have seldom seen a stock for either Remington or Winchester finished without the colored lacquer from the factory.

I'm sure some other folks will soon be along to comment! Welcome to RC.

Cheers,
AQBill

#7 ·
4- 510-X
1- 511-X
2- 512-X
All but one were made in 1965 except I think there is one maybe' 64. Two were bought new and the others I have collected I only bought the very nice ones. All have case colored bolts from the separation where the bolt handle is attached clear to the rear end where the cocking indicator pin protrudes. How can I have the only seven X models with the cased rear portion of the bolt?

#18 ·
Ditto on my 511x

i do not own any X models , but every one i have examined have had blued beehives - there was no 1964 X model production , 1965 -1967 model years only - catalog page i posted was from the last year of production -
My 511x is barrel stamped AL clear as day and has a color cased bee hive.

Guess it doesn't exist.;)

#9 ·
I checked my dates after I typed the dates on here and thought I had it wrong. The only one that is not '65 is a '66. I was on the phone a couple minutes ago with my brother and had him look at his 511X and his 512X and both have the rear portion cased. I don't think 9 for 9 is a coincidence. I think you are wrong on this and I rarely doubt your expertise on knowing the Remington's. You can believe what you want as I really don't care and I know what I have especially because two of mine were bought new and were case colored when bought and had nothing changed.

#11 ·
shutzen-jager, I can understand your primary interest in the older guns. Walnut and blued steel is where it's at for me. I do like Remington's up to and including the 540/580 series especially the first two year guns with the walnut stocks and the ones with the small port actions.

#15 ·
that listing you posted states that the catalog has no affiliation with any firearms manufacturer + it does not show the 510X or 511X models which were produced concurrently on same tooling as 512X - + forum page you posted shows 25" barrels , but official Remington documents all state that they had 24" barrels - the 25" barrels were on the pre X model 510 , 511 , + 512's - i would tend to agree with the Remington factory issued documents -

#17 · (Edited)
Remington society is an independent organization not affiliated with the now defunct company - ask him to send the factory document with the authorized factory RF # in lower corner that he got his figures from - notice that he stated [ my records show [ + not factory records show -

remember the old saying -
[ the statement must be true because i read it on the internet ]

#21 ·
my bad 1

the date code in post #18 by GMD 1950 is perfectly clear + not illegible like other picture - went back in my achieves + found a article by Les Bowman in G+A March 1964 about Remington new models - shows X models that Remington did not catalog till 1965 edition as far as i can tell from my Remington catalogs + factory documents - i think that by late 1963 Remington realized sales of the nylon 10 , 11 , + 12 were just not going to make it so they tested gun writer reactions to the X models -
JMHO but the stock condition , date stamp condition , + beehive still makes me think that some work + refinishing has been performed on lower one pictured -

Attachments

#24 ·
Just came across this old thread, checked Roy and John's book on the Remington 22's, it states production of the X series of rifles began in early 1964 concurrent with the last year of the Nylon bold actions. This is the reason the last production Nylon's have the longer barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.