Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 552 Club

191K views 661 replies 218 participants last post by  bahamajoe 
#1 · (Edited)
I see we have a bunch of Remington 552 fans here - I think we should form a "Club" within this board.

I just acquired a new unfired old stock (2006) Speedmater, and just installed an EOTech holosight... I have not yet shot this thing, but plan to remedy this by tomorrow, weather permitting - I'll let you all know how it shoots,and if I will like this holosight or not. Lets keep this "Club" going by continuing to add our comments in one single thread. Thanks.

Pete (The Oldfella)

See less See more
#580 ·
Could also be a firing pin ping on edge of chamber causing cartridge not to fully seat. And least all parts are available.
They are terrible about carbon buildup so a full tear down and scrub may be in order. Also weak main spring, cheap to replace would be a good idea.

#581 ·
Thanks, the bolt, firing pin, ejector, and extractor are factory NOS. And it not a problem of seating, its a problem of getting the cartridge to enter the chamber to seat. As by the photos the angle of entry is to sharp.
I hadn’t thought about the main spring being the problem. I will have to put that on the list to buy.

#582 ·
Without digging up a schematic there’s a little stamped cartridge ramp for feed tube that may be worn or bent.
I tore mine completely down when I brought it home and immersed everything in the ultra sonic cleaner. Carbon was still caked but softened so wire brushed and dental picked everything. Lubed everything up with dry lube called jig a lu, it’s been far more reliable than my first new rifle.

#586 ·
Well....finally got it up and running. Turns out to be several things, age and usage being the biggest factor. Replaced the action spring, buffer pad, the ejector, magazine spring carrier, carrier pivot tube and spring. I have also bought a new hammer and spring but haven’t got them in yet as the pin has a divot in the end and I just haven’t had time to drive it out and put a new one in. The old hammer face is pretty well worn, someone got a LOT of shooting out of it. Hopefully now it has a new life and another good run in it.
We get some decent weather and dry things up, I’ll take it out and see how she runs for accuracy.

Love .22s but they can sure be frustrating when they don’t work right, but a ton of fun when they do. Thanks for everyone’s help.

#587 ·
Hey folks new guy here! Just got an 87 552 like new given to me (I have him $300, felt it was right). I have made a few posts here but found this! Just did a complete tear down clean and replaced the scope. Can't wait to sight in and do some small game hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#588 ·
Additionally can anyone tell me if there is a custom leather maker out there that will make a harness style strap to go into the butt stock without having to drill? I messaged a couple places that make them for wester lever guns but refused to make a custom one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#590 · (Edited)
Let me jump in here.

I picked up a Remington 552 at a Cedar Rapids gun show last Fall.

Recently read they will also operate with CCI Quiets.......... really??

At a Waverly show last Saturday and found a couple boxes of Quiets.

Went out into the front yard last evening, about 100 feet from the house.

Loaded up 2 rounds of stand velocity, 2 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag, and 2 rounds of Quiets.

BANG......... BANG............ CRACK............CRACK...........PUF.......... PUF

Hard to believe Remington can operate that wide a spread of velocity on the same recoil spring.

While looking at various utubes videos on the 552 I see different rear sights. Some the old style with a movable ramp. Here is a photo of the one on my rifle. Is this factory??

Attachments

#594 ·
As I recall the 552-572 started with the steel sight held on by 2 screws with elevation ramp silililar to a Remington 511. Then had an aluminum version of the same sight. Then they had the sight shown by Roadrat that was shared with the 591 and 788 and last they had the sight similar to the later Remington 700.

#600 ·
I had my 552 broken down and cleaned for a while and just got it back together.
The magazine tube screw that goes into the front holder is not original. Its a hex and the thread portion is too long. Its shown signs that it has pinched the tube and makes the magazine rod bind. Fine without screw.
Anyway, I cant seem to find a replacement anywhere. Everyone is out of stock. I have bought one of the 552GS screws from numrich for temporary use. Its the one with the extension and hole.
Any leads on a stock one?
Thanks

#601 · (Edited)
552 from 1959

Just found the Speedmaster thread on the forum. According to the date code, mine is from December of 1959. It shoots well in my opinion. I've owned it for more than a dozen years. As far as I can tell, it's all original.

We live in a tiny town in West Central Texas. As a result, shooting rimfire--especially the subsonic stuff-- from the back porch (we have three acres) is no issue. The West property line is nearly 100 yards from the patio and there's nothing past that except a field.

Went to a friend's today who lives a mile away and has over 100 acres. Took the Speedmaster and shot tea and soft drink cans that were filled with water to hold them up. At the closest reporting station, the wind was east at 14 G to 20. We were shooting south, so it was a direct crosswind.

I usually sit on the ground. At 67 years old, I don't shoot offhand very well anymore with a rifle . We were shooting at 40 yards and had an enjoyable afternoon.

Paul Moore

Attachments

#602 ·
Nice shooting! The semi-auto Speedmaster must be a hoot to plink with. I often wished to be able to do that off my back deck. Wouldn't go over well in my neighborhood. Texas is sounding really good.

Hmm, what's the coldest part of Texas?

#603 ·
Nice shooting! The semi-auto Speedmaster must be a hoot to plink with. I often wished to be able to do that off my back deck. Wouldn't go over well in my neighborhood. Texas is sounding really good.

Hmm, what's the coldest part of Texas?
This winter it was cold!! Where we live in Western Haskell County, January's average is a daytime high of 54 and an average overnight low of 29. And property is cheap.

Hope that helps.

#604 ·
I'm not sure if I should post here or not. Feb 2021 I got a 552, for $147 at LGS. NSN, near as I can tell code is ED. I haven't figured out what to look for to define accurately the year of manufacture. The rear sight has a ramp under back end. Has no adjustment knobs or dials just like ordinary BB gun or pellet gun sights.
I've only had it out once and i had several FTE and loading was problem a time or two finally a shell got stuck in the ejection port. I think the spent shell jiggled a bit them went back into the chamber and hampered the loading of next shell. Usually i could hold it sideways and the empty would fall out, USUALLY they did. finally i put it away till i could work on it,
I took it apart and pried the shell out. this isn't the first time one has stuck there because the lips of port have marks on them. I'm thinking maybe that is why they sold it.
No scope yet. I got it so I would have something in my small collection by Remington and I had read that it is accurate. It is probably more accurate than i am able to do it justice. There are a couple marks on the metal and some on the wood parts but it is a nice looking rifle and still useable other than loading and ejection. My son shot it and liked it and hit the targets.

#605 ·
Well that's a really good price. The fix could be as simple as a disassembly and thorough cleaning. When torn down, check the rubber recoil buffer hasn't turned into a hockey puck. If it still has some give to it, it's still good.

I'd recommend downloading the manual for reference to proper disassembly/reassembly procedures.

Good luck with it.

#606 ·
Thanks Bradical! i didn't know it but there is some rubber in the back!
does the rubber recoil buffer come out easily?

i was recleaning the works and pushed the extractor out on the table i looked on numrichs to see if there was a spring for it but didn't see one. it was dirty and didn't move at all till now.
my date stamp is "E D" the "D" can be 1935, 1957 or 1983. (probably not 1935), 1957 or 1983 likely. How would one tell for sure what year it means? I checked the date of the patent number and it was filed 1-6-51 and patent date is 4-20-54 not that i really understand patents. using the patent dates it could be a 1957 model but i don't know for sure.
Can anyone hum a few bars of where i can find an answer? thanks

#607 ·
Thanks Bradical! i didn't know it but there is some rubber in the back!
does the rubber recoil buffer come out easily?

Can anyone hum a few bars of where i can find an answer? thanks
Yes, the rubber bushing comes out easily. You're probably right about the date. Rubber doesn't do as well as wood and steal over time. I'd recommend replacing it. Numrich product # 1564840, number 6 in their schematic.

And, as you're discovering it probably hasn't been cleaned for many rounds.

#608 ·
Trigger Spring replacement

After months of searching for a light pull sear spring for the Remington's it seemed hopeless. MidwayUSA, MGW, Brownells all sent springs that were nearly identical, supposedly 3.5 lb pull. Each of them I tested gave a trigger pull so close to that of the original 5lb + spring, the difference could not be felt. With no where to turn but an expensive kit… I was left with few options.

I decided to get some made, and market them. I contacted a manufacturer, and sent the specifications to them. These are made with the same high quality ASTM A228 music wire used throughout the firearms industry and are manufactured right here in the good old USA.

These springs work in a variety of Remington shotguns and rifles with similar trigger mechanisms. Models of 1100, 1187, 1148, 878, 870 to name a few. Rimfire models 552 & 572 as well as Center Fire models 740, 742, 7400, & 750 share a compatible trigger system. DIY gunsmiths should observe caution when testing a modified firearm by keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction until you are satisfied with the safety. My spring will not come off like those made by cutting a coil off a factory spring which is a dangerous "trick" done by some.

Visit website for all the info and video on trigger group remove & replace http://springs.ccskeet.com