Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 makes me appreciate my 597 even more

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
Picked up a used 10/22 takedown recently. Never been interested in the 10/22, but I do like the takedown as a concept (and we're definitely not getting one from Remington) , so when I ran across one cheap, I grabbed it.

Aside from that feature, though, I'm not impressed.

I mean, it's accurate enough, probably more than I am, but so are my 597's (and M69, and ZKM 468's).

And what the heck is up with not having a last-round hold open? I'm so used to that being the standard it didn't even occur to me that a current rifle wouldn't have it.

Anyway, enough venting, just wanted to share my impressions with the group.

#2 · (Edited)
Yes i had a 10/22 when i shot comp a few years back, it had every conceivable tune up or aftermarket part you could name, even a 12 inch threaded Volquartsen carbon wrap barrel and a sound moderator, the action made more noise that the muzzle report

Its all to easy to get swayed by the crowd and shooting club mates who will tell you over and over to get this gun, or that gun etc.
Ive seen it many times before people get bamboozled into buying a gun that they rearly use because everyone else says get it.

Different strokes for different folks as they say, but as I mature I'm becoming an old fart and only high end wooden and steel rifles interest me. As bill Calfee says "only accurate rifles are interesting"

I loved that gun until I bought an Anschutz, and remembered what a close friend said to me about 10/22's "they look very airgunny, like a cheapo Crossman" I thought of my Crossman pump up rifle when I was a kid and shuddered,spray paint alloys eeew what must my anscestors think!

Yes he is a gun snob and what is wrong with that? Its all about taste, one thing you cannot fault about 10/22 is that they are reliable.

He was right this is no BSA or Wierauch/Anschutz, spending potentially £100's if not over a grand to make it shoot well seems illogical why not simply save time effort and rabbit holing by just buying an Anschutz, but it clean it before shooting and forget, no need to tinker, no need to guess did I get a Friday afternoon job etc etc

as they say "if you buy cheap, you buy twice"

If you miss with an Annie, you know its you 100% not the gun

As I mature I too remember my shooting roots and what my dad told me, guns are well made precision instrument's, for me alloy and synthetic's should never be allowed on a rifle, steel and walnut even the scope should be thin steel as opposed to that dastardly aluminum

Although I must confess to owning a CZ with synthetic stock and Alloy trigger guard as I don't like the "agricultural" look of the standard trigger guard.

But then I'm weird,

If I was chief overlord of planet earth, I would equip all modern army's with Martini rifles, in .218 bee, TOG3 Tanks and Fokker triplanes, also war would be strictly limited to 9-5 and no fighting on Sundays or public holidays.

Any nation failing to comply to would have to nuke themselves

:t

#4 · (Edited)
As bill Calfee says "only accurate rifles are interesting"

But then I'm weird,
Bill Calfee may have said it, but he stole the quote from Colonel Townsend Whelen wrote it years before Bill decided he was lord overseer of all things accuracy.

you ARE weird. You dismiss the polymer trigger housing on the 10/22 when Brimstone and CPC, gunsmiths who have seen more 10/22 triggers than anyone have both said, numerous times, the polymer hosing is far far far better than the metal one.

Oh, and Tony Kidd has made a really good living beating "walnut and steel" It's 2021 welcome...

I quote your countryman, "Since brevity is the soul of wit / And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief…"

Don't ramble on.

#6 ·
I have 4 10/22s, all 4 were accurate and reliable right out of the box. One has a heavy bbl, heavy laminated stock etc. The other 3 are stock except for triggers and sights. I did buy old walnut stocks for 2 that had the beech stocks on them. I also have a CZ American, Henry pump , Hemry lever, 52C, and a couple others. The 2 std 10/22 carbines get the most use. One has a peep the other a TRS25. I would never consider the takedown 10/22, no way it can shoot with the non-takedown guns unless you mount the sight on the bbl. Not my cup of tea, never considered the 597 either.

#9 ·
I bought a Full Kidd barreled action and a krg chassis in December with a20” barrel and 1.5lb single stage trigger. She runs beautiful and will actually take 10 rounds in the magazine. I love the Bravo chassis. I’ve never had any feed issues. Accuracy is great after I ran 500 or so rounds through her. It’s a Supergrade so swapping to a different barrel is a breeze. It could almost work as a takedown rifle. I’ve considered buying the ultralight barrel so I could have that option.

Accuracy is pretty much on par with my Jarvis barreled 597’s. I was a bit disappointed with its accuracy at first but she’s improved as I’ve gone along and now meeting my expectations

#12 ·
I'm more of a plinker than an MoA nut, so an Anschutz isn't in my future - I'm just not that good a shot to do it justice. I know accuracy nuts, and I respect what they're capable of, I just don't have the patience for it.

From a plinker standpoint, I can't fault the 10/22, I just prefer my 597's.

I wish Remington would have introduced a 597 takedown

#13 ·
From a plinker standpoint, I can't fault the 10/22, I just prefer my 597's.

I wish Remington would have introduced a 597 takedown
While we're throwing money in wishing wells I wish Remington didn't flush the 597 down the drain before the cluster mess they're in now. Maybe when Rem makes a comeback I wish it'll be available in a walnut version with blue'd steel. :eek::rolleyes::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.