Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:18 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Governor

I scored a used Governor at the LGS the other day. Other than being filthy, it was in very good shape with just a few small scratches. Brought it home and gave it a good scrubbing with MPro7, touched up the scratches with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, and all is well. It had Crimson Trace laser grips on it, but they were not very comfortable in my hands, so I replaced them with Hogue Tamer grips, which I find very comfortable. The tritium front sight is a bit dim, so I will be replacing it, but I can't find any sights listed for this revolver from any of the major manufacturers. I have read a couple posts online about the sights for the M&P 9/40/45 pistols being a direct replacement, but before dropping any cash on one I am wondering if anyone here has any experience swapping out sights on the Governor. If so, I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. I wish I would have had one of these back in Ohio when I was a kid. It would have made a great revolver for carrying around in the woods in the summer for snakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (46.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Mike_AK; 07-31-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:24 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Had one for a few years, just never found it significantly more useful than a S&W M69 with Speer Shot shells, carried it down east where Moccasins and Rattlers are common...as well as quite large black bears. It may prove more useful for you. Relatively accurate with jacketed .45 Colt loads, less so with moon clipped .45 cap.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:38 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Had one for a few years, just never found it significantly more useful than a S&W M69 with Speer Shot shells, carried it down east where Moccasins and Rattlers are common...as well as quite large black bears. It may prove more useful for you. Relatively accurate with jacketed .45 Colt loads, less so with moon clipped .45 cap.
I bought it more for a toy than anything else. Up here, if bears are a concern I carry a G20 or Ruger Toklat. I might try it out on some grouse. They don't flush up here for some reason. They just sit in a tree and look at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2021, 11:17 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You've probably seen this Mike but just in case https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...056875b91.html

Looks like fun and it should hold value. I had an American Derringer .45/.410 I carried for snake medicine rock hounding. It was a handful to shoot!

Frank
Old 07-31-2021, 11:26 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
You've probably seen this Mike but just in case https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...056875b91.html

Looks like fun and it should hold value. I had an American Derringer .45/.410 I carried for snake medicine rock hounding. It was a handful to shoot!

Frank
Thanks Frank. I did see that. It was what initially raised my interest in the M&P sights. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and ordering one to experiment, but my luck with OpticsPlanet has not been the best. I have ordered from them three times in the past, and I cancelled all three after waiting months without receiving them. I have doubts that they are a stocking dealer for any of the products they advertise.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:59 PM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just out of curiosity I grabbed a box of .454 Casull out of my ammo stash to see if one would chamber in the cylinder of the Governor. It does. I plan to only shoot .410 shotshells out of mine, but there is potential for someone to turn one of these into a hand grenade. Literally.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:08 PM
oldbird13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I bought it more for a toy than anything else. Up here, if bears are a concern I carry a G20 or Ruger Toklat. I might try it out on some grouse. They don't flush up here for some reason. They just sit in a tree and look at you.
Too cold to move......?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
With the rifling they dont pattern very well. O unless the bird is 8 feet awy or less, probably not gonna be very successful.

I bought a Taurus Judge when they first came out , just for fun , and maybe a night stand gun.

The sd 410 ammo is interesting, discs and balls etc, but the gun shoots the 45 LC astonishingly well , especially cowboy loads.

Ps, i put the Hogues on too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96CA15D0-C5CD-44B8-9392-09446B1CF3DD.jpg (346.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks Frank. I did see that. It was what initially raised my interest in the M&P sights. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and ordering one to experiment, but my luck with OpticsPlanet has not been the best. I have ordered from them three times in the past, and I cancelled all three after waiting months without receiving them. I have doubts that they are a stocking dealer for any of the products they advertise.
I have ordered a few things over the years from them and they always shipped promptly. I just ordered a scope from them and had it in five days. Apparently they are are a stocking dealer, at least in my case.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:41 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I scored a used Governor at the LGS the other day. Other than being filthy, it was in very good shape with just a few small scratches. Brought it home and gave it a good scrubbing with MPro7, touched up the scratches with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, and all is well. It had Crimson Trace laser grips on it, but they were not very comfortable in my hands, so I replaced them with Hogue Tamer grips, which I find very comfortable. The tritium front sight is a bit dim, so I will be replacing it, but I can't find any sights listed for this revolver from any of the major manufacturers. I have read a couple posts online about the sights for the M&P 9/40/45 pistols being a direct replacement, but before dropping any cash on one I am wondering if anyone here has any experience swapping out sights on the Governor. If so, I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. I wish I would have had one of these back in Ohio when I was a kid. It would have made a great revolver for carrying around in the woods in the summer for snakes.
Is this the much heralded .22 version I've heard so much about? Must be because it is in the rimfire section of RFC and not the centerfire section where centerfire guns are discussed.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:46 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
Is this the much heralded .22 version I've heard so much about? Must be because it is in the rimfire section of RFC and not the centerfire section where centerfire guns are discussed.
Well some ofthe shot is the size of a 22