Governor - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2021, 09:18 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2007
Posts: 
3,435
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Governor



Log in to see fewer ads
I scored a used Governor at the LGS the other day. Other than being filthy, it was in very good shape with just a few small scratches. Brought it home and gave it a good scrubbing with MPro7, touched up the scratches with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, and all is well. It had Crimson Trace laser grips on it, but they were not very comfortable in my hands, so I replaced them with Hogue Tamer grips, which I find very comfortable. The tritium front sight is a bit dim, so I will be replacing it, but I can't find any sights listed for this revolver from any of the major manufacturers. I have read a couple posts online about the sights for the M&P 9/40/45 pistols being a direct replacement, but before dropping any cash on one I am wondering if anyone here has any experience swapping out sights on the Governor. If so, I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. I wish I would have had one of these back in Ohio when I was a kid. It would have made a great revolver for carrying around in the woods in the summer for snakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (46.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Mike_AK; 07-31-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2021, 10:24 AM
gmd1950's Avatar
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Mebane, NC
Posts: 
56,665
TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Had one for a few years, just never found it significantly more useful than a S&W M69 with Speer Shot shells, carried it down east where Moccasins and Rattlers are common...as well as quite large black bears. It may prove more useful for you. Relatively accurate with jacketed .45 Colt loads, less so with moon clipped .45 cap.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member/GOA Life *Esse Quam Videri Ya'll*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2021, 10:38 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2007
Posts: 
3,435
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Had one for a few years, just never found it significantly more useful than a S&W M69 with Speer Shot shells, carried it down east where Moccasins and Rattlers are common...as well as quite large black bears. It may prove more useful for you. Relatively accurate with jacketed .45 Colt loads, less so with moon clipped .45 cap.
I bought it more for a toy than anything else. Up here, if bears are a concern I carry a G20 or Ruger Toklat. I might try it out on some grouse. They don't flush up here for some reason. They just sit in a tree and look at you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-31-2021, 11:17 AM
LtCrunch's Avatar
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2015
Location: 
Colorado
Posts: 
3,716
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
You've probably seen this Mike but just in case https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...056875b91.html

Looks like fun and it should hold value. I had an American Derringer .45/.410 I carried for snake medicine rock hounding. It was a handful to shoot!

Frank
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2021, 11:26 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2007
Posts: 
3,435
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
You've probably seen this Mike but just in case https://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews...056875b91.html

Looks like fun and it should hold value. I had an American Derringer .45/.410 I carried for snake medicine rock hounding. It was a handful to shoot!

Frank
Thanks Frank. I did see that. It was what initially raised my interest in the M&P sights. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and ordering one to experiment, but my luck with OpticsPlanet has not been the best. I have ordered from them three times in the past, and I cancelled all three after waiting months without receiving them. I have doubts that they are a stocking dealer for any of the products they advertise.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2021, 02:59 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Feb 2007
Posts: 
3,435
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just out of curiosity I grabbed a box of .454 Casull out of my ammo stash to see if one would chamber in the cylinder of the Governor. It does. I plan to only shoot .410 shotshells out of mine, but there is potential for someone to turn one of these into a hand grenade. Literally.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2021, 10:08 PM
oldbird13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2012
Location: 
Indianapolis area
Posts: 
712
TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I bought it more for a toy than anything else. Up here, if bears are a concern I carry a G20 or Ruger Toklat. I might try it out on some grouse. They don't flush up here for some reason. They just sit in a tree and look at you.
Too cold to move......?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2021, 10:43 PM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
Hoosierville
Posts: 
8,442
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
With the rifling they dont pattern very well. O unless the bird is 8 feet awy or less, probably not gonna be very successful.

I bought a Taurus Judge when they first came out , just for fun , and maybe a night stand gun.

The sd 410 ammo is interesting, discs and balls etc, but the gun shoots the 45 LC astonishingly well , especially cowboy loads.

Ps, i put the Hogues on too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96CA15D0-C5CD-44B8-9392-09446B1CF3DD.jpg (346.9 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2006
Location: 
southeastern NM
Posts: 
3,599
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Thanks Frank. I did see that. It was what initially raised my interest in the M&P sights. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and ordering one to experiment, but my luck with OpticsPlanet has not been the best. I have ordered from them three times in the past, and I cancelled all three after waiting months without receiving them. I have doubts that they are a stocking dealer for any of the products they advertise.
I have ordered a few things over the years from them and they always shipped promptly. I just ordered a scope from them and had it in five days. Apparently they are are a stocking dealer, at least in my case.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2021, 08:41 AM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
399
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I scored a used Governor at the LGS the other day. Other than being filthy, it was in very good shape with just a few small scratches. Brought it home and gave it a good scrubbing with MPro7, touched up the scratches with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, and all is well. It had Crimson Trace laser grips on it, but they were not very comfortable in my hands, so I replaced them with Hogue Tamer grips, which I find very comfortable. The tritium front sight is a bit dim, so I will be replacing it, but I can't find any sights listed for this revolver from any of the major manufacturers. I have read a couple posts online about the sights for the M&P 9/40/45 pistols being a direct replacement, but before dropping any cash on one I am wondering if anyone here has any experience swapping out sights on the Governor. If so, I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. I wish I would have had one of these back in Ohio when I was a kid. It would have made a great revolver for carrying around in the woods in the summer for snakes.
Is this the much heralded .22 version I've heard so much about? Must be because it is in the rimfire section of RFC and not the centerfire section where centerfire guns are discussed.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-02-2021, 08:46 AM
Toomany22s's Avatar
Toomany22s is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
Hoosierville
Posts: 
8,442
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
Is this the much heralded .22 version I've heard so much about? Must be because it is in the rimfire section of RFC and not the centerfire section where centerfire guns are discussed.
Well some ofthe shot is the size of a 22
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x