Comparison: CCI Mini-Mages VS Remington Golden - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Steve in IN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast63 View Post
For plinking cans and disposing of varmints, Remington ammo is better than rocks....
Do you have any empirical evidence to back that up. Or, is that just the typical internet prejudice against rocks.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got back from the range. Took along my daughter's Walther P-22 (in hot pink), my Ruger 10/22 and a friend came along with his 10/22.
Took 75 round samples from each of 3 different Remington Golden 550 bulk packs from Wal-Mart and had 4 slightly weaker rounds from all 225 rounds fired from our 10/22's. Almost every shot went into 1 inch groups at 50 yards. Tried Winchester Super X and the groups opened up to almost 2 inches. American Eagle and Federal averaged 1 1/2 inches. CCI Mini-Mags went into 1" groups. We did clean the bores, about every 50 rounds.
Tried using all of the different kinds in the P-22 and only the Golden and the Mini-Mags would push the slide back far enough to chamber another round, after ejecting the spent round. Seems the Winchester, Federal and American Eagle didn't have enough power to fully cycle the slide.
I'm not making a judgement call on what to like or dislike, just an evaluation of ammunition used with the 3 guns we brought with us.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
AZ22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to AZ22s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
Do you have any empirical evidence to back that up. Or, is that just the typical internet prejudice against rocks.
ROTFLAMO!.. Poor rocks, nobody appreciates their time proven reliability and always as accurate as the thrower.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 AM
wuzcool
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot bulk RGB's by the case. Of course, they are not the same level as mini-mags, and are priced 1/2 as much. What I expect from plinking ammo is to be able to pick on golf ball sized targets @ 150 yards, and RGB does that for me, no matter what the weather.
I just bought another 10 bulk boxes for a total of $161, and expect to need more in a few months. YOU shoot what works in YOUR guns, and I won't tell you what I think of your wife.....
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
SubSonicSnipe

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Skype™ to SubSonicSnipe
Holy WAX Batman

I've always considered mini-mags my "go to" round for overall best performance in my 10/22 ie: accuracy and cycling.

However, a few days ago at the range I found that these rounds were not feeding properly into my BD 50 rd. drum. The wax was so thick that it was affecting the overall length of the round and, since the BD drum has precise tolerances apparently, I was having to push the previous inserted round down with the next round like you would in a TI or stock mag.... I pulled those outta there and put them in my TI mags and...no problems there.

Hmmm...so today I grabbed a 550 pack of Golden Bullets and am looking forward to seeing if/how they will run in the 10/22 / drum combo.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Savage22shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzcool View Post
What I expect from plinking ammo is to be able to pick on golf ball sized targets @ 150 yards, and RGB does that for me, no matter what the weather.
I'll give you a grand for whatever rifle shoots them that well, but that will probably be one upped by someone else, but i call it Never seen results like that before, wish my rifle could do that with RGB's. Lucky you.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
agksimon
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzcool View Post
I shoot bulk RGB's by the case. Of course, they are not the same level as mini-mags, and are priced 1/2 as much. What I expect from plinking ammo is to be able to pick on golf ball sized targets @ 150 yards, and RGB does that for me, no matter what the weather.
I just bought another 10 bulk boxes for a total of $161, and expect to need more in a few months. YOU shoot what works in YOUR guns, and I won't tell you what I think of your wife.....
I'll go one better: I expect my ammo to be able to hit asprin tablets at 200 yards and if I can't, it's the fault of the ammo or the gun.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 PM
claybuster
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to claybuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I'll go one better: I expect my ammo to be able to hit asprin tablets at 200 yards and if I can't, it's the fault of the ammo or the gun.
Baby aspirin, right? About as likely as anything shooting Remingtons accurately enough to consistently hit golf balls @ 200 yds! Wait - that was "pick on", not "hit", wasn't it?

Last edited by claybuster; 05-08-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 AM
wuzcool
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This has gone straight into childish. It's a very poor excuse of a man who takes more joy in writing this sort of gibberish than simply moving on to working on his own shooting with things that work for him.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 AM
WillyNC
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"What I expect from plinking ammo is to be able to pick on golf ball sized targets @ 150 yards, and RGB does that for me, no matter what the weather."

You gotta admit, that statement will draw opinions. WillyNC
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 AM
tuj

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster View Post
In my humble opinion, Remingtons can't get cheap enough for me to buy them.
+5. I got several boxes of Remington "target" and they were complete crap, usually 3-4 duds per box. Boxes were from different lots too.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You guys have got me to thinking....

Mini Mags work well for me, no problems. ...but... I <DO> have a bulk box of RGBs that I squirreled away during the great ammo panic of '08, and haven't been able to bring myself to actually shoot!

Got some time off from work this week (and hoping for good weather) to hit the range. Now, if I took this box of RGBs and tried them with my (also squirreled away) Mossberg plinkster... I wonder what would happen? ..sounds like a match made in heaven!

Really, I think I will do that.. who knows... if I can possibly get 1/4" groups out of that combo, it might be the first ever done with that model rifle and those bullets!

Got nothing much better to do than give it a try!! (It'd be a HOOT to have a plinkster w/RGBs in the superstock forum games!!)

---->notice that I'm not engaging in Remmy bashing, but willing to experiment and find out how they work in a controlled environment. ...and trying to think up a fun way to dispose of these things before they contaminate my other ammo.

....cows ....with GUNS??!!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked up four or five boxes of the bulk Golden Remingtons at a gun show...guy made me a deal I couldn't refuse. I figured they would be good for my kids to burn up plinking with when they are in for a visit.

From what I have read about them in various posts here, I didn't expect much at all. But to my surprise, they have shot very well. In fact, the only ammo (think bulk) - outside of dedicated target/match ammo - that has outperformed them accuracy-wise are the CCI SVs. Some of my guns seem to actually prefer them....mind you, I am talking about sporter .22s....not bench rest. But I do check them for accuracy off my bench.

I have gotten way more FTFs with the Remington Target ammo.

Certainly, this doesn't prove the Remington Goldens are premium ammo, just that they work fine in a number of my guns. And the price was right.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
rogerxd45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
for plinking i like the remingtons, i usually only get 5 duds per 525

i have WAY more issues with the federal bulk ammo, stove pipes are pretty common.

my go to round is now blazer. its very reliable and more accurate then the remingtons not to mention cleaner. but if they dont have blazer i usually get remington GB
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
+6 on the wont buy RGBs and +1 on the Blazers