The more things change, the more they stay the same - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:16 PM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
I get a kick out of the upscale black-out treatment the trucks and cars are getting today. If Henry Ford thought for one minute he could charge extra for black, it would have made his head explode.
hahaha, i blacked out my -68 cougar in the 70s and my dad's head exploded.

i guess i was ahead of my time.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:37 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (280)
I guess that I too am an effete. I really like the bells and whistles on my 2019 car and 2020 truck. Both have keyless ignition and remote locking and touch unlocking (key can stay in your pocket), rear cameras, blind-spot warning, automatic cruise control (a REAL plus with multi-mile rolling parking lots), heated seats, etc. And my car adds a 360 camera, heads-up display, and heated and cooled seats.

Doug
Old 08-03-2021, 08:59 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Nope - purely mechanical. Has one of them stick-shifty things, too. Kia only put those in the absolute base models. Was perfect - the only way to get the gearbox I wanted was to spend less.
I'd LOVE to have a car like that. Can you say what model you got?

My Hyundai is constantly doing all sorts of things automatically THAT I DON'T WANT to "help" me. I am this close (imagine two fingers pinched together, almost touching) to shooting the %*&^()*(&$ thing with every round I have stored up. It would be soooo satisfying.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:03 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
I'd LOVE to have a car like that. Can you say what model you got?

My Hyundai is constantly doing all sorts of things automatically THAT I DON'T WANT to "help" me. I am this close (imagine two fingers pinched together, almost touching) to shooting the %*&^()*(&$ thing with every round I have stored up. It would be soooo satisfying.
2021 Kia Soul LX. They've dropped the stick for 2022, sadly.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:03 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I guess that I too am an effete. I really like the bells and whistles on my 2019 car and 2020 truck. Both have keyless ignition and remote locking and touch unlocking (key can stay in your pocket), rear cameras, blind-spot warning, automatic cruise control (a REAL plus with multi-mile rolling parking lots), heated seats, etc. And my car adds a 360 camera, heads-up display, and heated and cooled seats.

Doug
Do you want a car that doesn't let you back up, because another car is close behind, and your own car doesn't trust you to be able to drive, and you are locked forever in a tight parking lot? Do you want a car that nags you every time you change lanes without using the turn signal? Do you REALLY want a car that shuts off the engine whenever you stop at a traffic light? (You must not live in Texas, where running the A/C every moment is a MUST, not a luxury).

If they want to put all that "helpful" crap on a car, they should at least put it downstream of a fuse that you can pull out.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:07 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
? Do you want a car that nags you every time you change lanes without using the turn signal?
No, I don't. However, idiots who don't signal lane changes, turns, etc, need a car the slaps them upside the head when they don't.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:24 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Which is why I'm "done" with new cars!
Never woulda guessed.

I love my heated steering wheel when its -20˚F to keep my salute finger nimble.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:07 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Paper shopping bags are making a comeback after several decades absence

Frank
First we are killing the forest.....switch to plastic bags!

We are strangling the turtles!!! Switch back to paper bags!!!

I got it! Reusable germ and bacteria infested cloth bags that you will never remember to put back in your vehicle before your next shopping trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Having a stick shift is a great anti theft device as well.
Totally agree with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clisbyclark View Post
perhaps for small items, but when building structures a laser is much more accurate and quicker!
Then there is that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I guess I have become "effete". I really like the back up camera the allows me not to have to turn my head much on an old stiff neck, the cruise control that allows me the ability to go uphill, downhill, and flat at the same speed and even slows me down when I catch up to a slower vehicle until I can pass and then returns me to my previous speed when I do pass, the windshield wipers that turn on automatically when it rains and run the correct speed for the rain amount, and stop when rain does, the seat I can adjust to where it's as comfortable as my recliner, the sound system that equals the one in my home. Yes, I like being "effete" when driving my vehicle.
All of those things are nice and convenient.

Quote:
If they want to put all that "helpful" crap on a car, they should at least put it downstream of a fuse that you can pull out.
And I agree with this as well!

I can still (since age 16) back a small trailer into a spot using a side mirror while driving a standard transmission vehicle. Every guy I knew in my teenage years could do this.

Most younger folks today do not know that you can open a car door with an actual key. They soon will not know how to change a flat tire, fill a radiator, parallel park, use side view mirrors or know to stay in ones lane without a warning beep. Very sad!

This is a different world than the one in which we grew up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
No, I don't. However, idiots who don't signal lane changes, turns, etc, need a car the slaps them upside the head when they don't.
What they need(ed) was to be brought up with some common sense and taught how to operate a vehicle responsibly in the first place. I blame the parents.

Because they were not, we have nanny cars that do everything for them, and piss off those of us who actually pay attention when driving!!!

As mentioned earlier in this thread. If you like that stuff, fine . If you don't, you should have the option to turn that crap off.

I hate having stuff I don't need nor want forced on me!

R

Last edited by Rhody; 08-03-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Some electronics are okay, just no need to go overboard with things. Offer them as options on top end models. We can have our cake and eat it too without going into sugar coma.

What happens when you end up having to walk three blocks in the rain at night, it's 36 out with wind howling, your cellphone is dead or you forgot it, locked in the car, you get to the car, AND the battery is stone cone dead. No problem huh, just use the key. Huh, there isn't one. Oopsie. I could use a little imagination and think up quite a few situations where an electronics overload would not only be inconvenient and inexpensive, it could cost you your life. No mechanical backups? Pray that phone is working, on you and has service where you are.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:30 PM
Rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
As a youngster I would wear out the knees in my jeans from kneeling/playing on the ground. Now days these young girls are wearing this stuff!
Old 08-03-2021, 11:40 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
No problem huh, just use the key. Huh, there isn't one.
Yes, there is. There is a key tucked inside the fob just for use in situations like that.

I need that key to lock the tailgate on the truck -- that's the only one not activated electrically.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:41 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscoe View Post
As a youngster I would wear out the knees in my jeans from kneeling/playing on the ground. Now days these young girls are wearing this stuff!
I remember when having holy jeans meant you were poor. Now it is a fashion statement.

Sent from my 9029Z using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2021, 11:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Yes, there is. There is a key tucked inside the fob just for use in situations like that.

I need that key to lock the tailgate on the truck -- that's the only one not activated electrically.
Someone actually was thinking ahead.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Do sedans hve a back up key?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:52 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
Do sedans hve a back up key?
For the driver's door, just as on the truck.