Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:15 AM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JUST RETURNED FROM WALMART

Where I scored 3 boxes of 325 rounds each of Federal Automatch.

They had 6 boxes.

I'll be there early Thursday morning and "probably" score 3 boxes of minimags.

If I were willing to pay $9.99 per 50 rounds of Aguila super extra, I know where I could buy dozens of boxes.

Last edited by bugeye; 08-02-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:44 AM
MTee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good score!

I've scored several boxes of the AutoMach over the last several weeks. they only allow 2 per customer per day.

Nothing this morning.

My Ruger 10/22 likes the Automatch ammo just fine.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:56 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTee View Post

My Ruger 10/22 likes the Automatch ammo just fine.
Ours too, along with our P22s and of course my bolt actions.

I don't even turn up my nose at thunderbolts if I'm just wanting to burn some powder.

For defense and hunting we stoke with mini mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know what you're shooting, but I've found the FAM not very accurate and I've run them thru 4 diff guns. My Sav B22 is the best 22 I have and I can't keep them under 1'' at 50 yds. CCI-SV stays under 3/4" consistently and often under 1/2". And here in Canada FAM is around $25/box of 325, so not really 'Cheap'. And I've had many FTF. Federal Champion 40gSV shoots better and is cheaper.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:53 PM
zukiphile

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
Don't know what you're shooting, but I've found the FAM not very accurate and I've run them thru 4 diff guns. My Sav B22 is the best 22 I have and I can't keep them under 1'' at 50 yds.
In most of my barrels, FAM is nothing special.

I've a couple of Walther Lothar barrels that respond to FAM well. At 50 yards, that's five rounds in what ends up looking like a 9mm hole, and is more accuracy than I require. That might not be much better than you inch at 50, but it's good enough that I'd buy a lot more at 5 cpr, which is what some in other parts of the country are finding on the shelves.

$25 a box of 325 is a bit rough, but I've seen higher. Tough for me to feel right about paying over 10 cpr.

Last edited by zukiphile; 08-02-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:57 PM
triumph406

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Ours too, along with our P22s and of course my bolt actions.

I don't even turn up my nose at thunderbolts if I'm just wanting to burn some powder.

For defense and hunting we stoke with mini mags.
I was at Turners Outdoorsman in Orange CA a while ago, they had a 1400rnd bucket and a brick of Thunderbolt left.

I was a bit short of cash so I opted for the brick, best decision I ever made.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:45 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a case a few years ago and it was not very impressive. I shot it all up plinking and will likely not buy any more. It was pretty inconsistent. Old lightning was better. Newer Champion was still better. Aguila and Armscore, definitely better. Winchester Super X Power Points in the Red Rattle Packs... Meh, hotter but not better.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:19 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
None of guns have ever shot automatch better than Fed bulk. The4e only difference in the two I have seen is the automatch costs more for the same performance. Nothing match grade about it.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:37 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put ALL federal and ALL remington in the category.

It's cheap and when you just want to burn some powder at plinking, what more could you want.
But my results seem to be different than many folks. Thunderbolts are the only cartridges that give me FTF regularly.
All the others usually go bang and unless I'm shooting at paper, that's all I need.

When I absolutely need it to go bang, I load up with CCI, but not green tags, they are the most over rated ammo I've ever shot. CCI SV shoots as good as green tag.

I don't shoot the super expensive rifle that some folks do, but my Lakefield and remington 511 shoot some tight groups at times.

YMMV
Old 08-03-2021, 09:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3 walmarts near me. None have had any .22 ammo since Covid started. My local stores here seem to intentionally not order any ammo. One of the 3 that carried rifles no longer carry that either . So it seems some parts of the country you can find some ammo here and there and other areas like here you will never see it. It isnt like they get it and sell out,they just aren't getting any .
Old 08-03-2021, 02:49 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Nexus View Post
3 walmarts near me. None have had any .22 ammo since Covid started. My local stores here seem to intentionally not order any ammo. One of the 3 that carried rifles no longer carry that either . So it seems some parts of the country you can find some ammo here and there and other areas like here you will never see it. It isnt like they get it and sell out,they just aren't getting any .
My wife and I will be driving down to central Georgia for fried peach pies. Yum....
And I will stop at a Walmart that caters to them southern boys and tries to keep ammo in stock. Unlike my city Walmart.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:18 PM
nipprdog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Where I scored 3 boxes of 325 rounds each of Federal Automatch.

They had 6 boxes.

I'll be there early Thursday morning and "probably" score 3 boxes of minimags.

If I were willing to pay $9.99 per 50 rounds of Aguila super extra, I know where I could buy dozens of boxes.
pssssst,

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1228401
Old 08-03-2021, 06:01 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Only ammo at the Walmarts in our county here in Alabama since the election has been a small amount of shotgun shells. Nothing else at all. Stuff is going somewhere else.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:24 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
Only ammo at the Walmarts in our county here in Alabama since the election has been a small amount of shotgun shells. Nothing else at all. Stuff is going somewhere else.
Hopefully we are about to turn the corner on this shortage nonsense.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:11 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I thought there was a thread on here somewhere that established that the "new" Fed Automatch was a joke, and not any better the the Thunderturds and all the rest. This is apparently just a case of Federal trying to cash in on the legend of what Automatch **used to be**, and making a quick buck on the gullible.