Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:27 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red dot sight placement?

So many choices out there when it comes to mounting a rod dot on these Ruger pistols. I have a MKIV Tactical and a Holosun 507c...the Holosun didn't come with a pic mount so I can't try mounting the red dot on different locations to see what I like best. Not a fan of the factory mount anyways, too ugly for my tastes and it was taken off as soon as I got home with the pistol.

I'm torn between the two common options.

The dovetail mounts that replace the rear sight. I've heard that the rear sights can be pretty tight and a PITA to get out and these mounts are a bit more expensive. With that said they look the cleanest.

The mounts that sit over the ejection ports look good too, and would only take a minute or two to install.

The most important part to me though, is which option works better. The red dot closer to the eye, or a little further forward?
Old 07-16-2021, 09:00 PM
just4grins
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a vortex venom mounted on the picatinny rail. I have found that it is easier to acquire the dot if the sight is mounted forward on the rail. Iím not sure why, but Iíve tried it on the rear of the rail and the front, and the front works better for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2021, 10:38 PM
lasnyder
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've just recently started shooting Steel Challenge with a red dot optic on a rim fire pistol... I find that I can track the dot better if it is located somewhat over the ejection port, and at or slightly forward of the center of balance of the grip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2021, 10:40 PM
jazzsax8

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
for me

I mount mine as far to the rear as I can get it. Without the pistol, take the red dot and move it from close to far and the field of view is much greater close. When the field of view is larger it will always be easier to find the dot. Now with practice it can be easy to locate the dot under either circumstance.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:59 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I like mine as far back as possible. It seems I pick up the dot faster when shooting Steel Challenge Matches. The dot also doesn't move as much during recoil. Of course when I shoot my C-More the dot is right on top of the ejection port.

Play with your mount and see what works best for you. If you want to go to the back of the gun the EGW dovetail mount is the way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Mamba Red Saftety.jpg (389.5 KB, 363 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 07:57 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dovetail mount for me with the rail and front sight gone.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:47 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rail mount over the ejection port. I had one mounted in the rear sight dovetail before on a different pistol. The sight was drifted in so tight I had to cut it out. Having done both, I like the rail mount better.

Last edited by Mike_AK; 07-17-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:40 AM
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's ours, works out well for us. Some new, some old, some low price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Sight.jpg (481.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0091.jpg (177.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Rugers.jpg (150.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 03:09 PM
atrox88
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It really comes down to what works best for you. I use rails with all my MKIV's and I have reflex red dots on two of them, tube style on the other two. I prefer them towards the middle of the rail, above the election port but I am going to play around with them a little further towards the rear because of my poor vision.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:23 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a Tandemkross shadow mount 2 on my Ruger Hunter . You can install the red dot directly in front of the rear sight, or over the ejection port. Without the picatinny and red dot mount , the dot sits closer to the bore axis . There is much less poi shift as target distance changes .
Old 07-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
I use a Tandemkross shadow mount 2 on my Ruger Hunter . You can install the red dot directly in front of the rear sight, or over the ejection port. Without the picatinny and red dot mount , the dot sits closer to the bore axis . There is much less poi shift as target distance changes .
+1 on the TK Shadow Mount.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:13 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have any particular fore-aft red dot optic placement requirements, so I chose the Lobos Industries low profile mount that attaches above the ejection port. It's got great aesthetics, places your optic only .105" above the receiver tube, and is completely void of text or trademarks, which is refreshing:

Old 07-19-2021, 08:37 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you want to use a rear sight dovetail mount, EGW is the class act but it only offers one "footprint" at a time so if you change to a different make of red dot you need a different mount.

The TandemKross mount does offer a choice of forward or rearward mounting locations, allows you to keep your iron sights and has a wide variety of footprints so you can use nearly any make of red dot. To me, it's the most versatile option.

I mounted my red dot over the ejection port but that is certainly personal preference.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:29 PM
RedShift556

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the replies, I checked out every mount mentioned and have spent hours looking over the different options and hunting down pics that best relate to the overall "build" I'm looking for.

I decided to go with the Lobos mount that sits over the ejection port. IMO the most aesthetically pleasing mount that looks like it melts into the gun.

Sure feels nice to close out the 10 tabs on my browser and move on to something else.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:15 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift556 View Post
I decided to go with the Lobos mount that sits over the ejection port. IMO the most aesthetically pleasing mount that looks like it melts into the gun.
The Lobos mount is good looking but, like the EGW mounts, only fits one "footprint" at a time. If you change red dots you will likely need a different mount.