Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:53 AM
Gazz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Lil' Rascal Light Strike Problem

I have a Lil'Rascal .22 that had become separated from its bolt. I sent it back to Savage for a replacement bolt and they did it free of charge! Kudos to them! Unfortunately, the gun would light strike 30/50% of the time with any ammo that I used. So I sent it back to them with a note explaining the problem. I took a bit of time but finally got it back and whadayaknow, its slightly better and light strikes about 25% of the time. Sent it back to Savage with a lengthy note written in LARGE LETTERS with the explanation. After a couple weeks I called and after talking to a few folks in customer service, found that the rifle was in line for test firing so I asked the rep to be sure they fired it at least 50 times to get a true baseline of the problem. She said she would add a note to the rifle to ensure it got tested properly. Finally got the rifle back and you guessed it, it still light strikes about 25% of the time. I think I have to fix this myself so I have removed the firing pin and removed a small amount of material from an internal shoulder to make sure that was not the problem but no change. Then I noticed that some finish was getting removed on the bolt from a rivet head like thing that moves with the fp so I removed a bit of metal there as well. Still the same failure rate. I will go broke sending this back to Savage who I guess fires it five times or so to prove that it works and that is it. I guess a new spring is the next thing to try but am surprised that the spring in the new bolt would be bad. Anybody else have this problem and how did you fix it if you did?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Heres my guess, the bolt forsome reason isnít headspaced close enough to the breech face/ rim .

So
1 get som thick rimmed ammo
2. Shim the bolt forward
3. Clean out the extractor cut ( most likely culprit)
4. File down the outside edges of the extractor ( second most likely culprit)

5 . Send the whole gun back to them.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:34 AM
GlockPride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried increasing the trigger pull weight? Sometimes when I get light strikes the trigger needs more lbs to increase the hammer fall strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2021, 11:15 AM
Gazz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the replies.
I do not see how I can shim the bolt forward - there is no slop or available space when the bolt handle is moved into its recess. I have cleaned out the extractor cut which is quite generous and do not believe that would be an issue. I will remove some material from the extractor though because it is easy to do. Thick rimmed ammo? I have what I have and everything I've tried does the same thing. At the present, there is no other ammo available in any case. As far as sending it back goes, they have had it three times now and I have no confidence they will spend the time to figure it out or more importantly, test it thoroughly.
I will take the action out of the stock to see if there is a way to adjust the trigger pull - there are no adjustment screws visible otherwise.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Gazz - I wouldn't mess with the extractor if you're not having probs with extraction. I'd look inside the receiver to see if there is anything causing drag on the hammer itself, since you seem to have caught a prob with the fp. I polish the inside of my receivers to remove any chance of drag in there. (just with like 4-600g paper, nothing fancy) And look at where the fp is actually striking the cartridge, some have been noted to hit too far toward the center where there is little or no primer.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Gazz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for that tip. When I rove the bolt, I can see wear marks on the bottom of the firing pin and also found that it is quite sloppy and hangs low in the channel in the bolt. This would allow it to rub or ride on the inside of the receiver tube. I will remove the fp and polish the bottom of it as well as polish the inside of the receiver. It would be nice to take slop out but I'm not sure if that can be done without significant rework.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It should have an accu trigger. Theres a little tool used to increase or decrease trigger pull.

The shim would go on the bolt , where it turns .001, ..002Ö. Just a bit to cam it forward.

Thick rim was a joke, sorry!
Old 07-06-2021, 05:57 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
It should have an accu trigger. Theres a little tool used to increase or decrease trigger pull.

The shim would go on the bolt , where it turns .001, ..002Ö. Just a bit to cam it forward.

Thick rim was a joke, sorry!
I had to shim my 511 and cured its problems.
I found the shims at a hobby store many years ago.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Gazz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies.
There is no room to add a shim. The bolt handle is quite tight against the receiver cut. I have fixed other .22s by adding weld in that location and then filing until the bolt would close. It is not the problem with this rifle.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:43 PM
GlockPride

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Itís an accutrigger. If you donít have the manual, there are numbers of good videos on this on YT. You need to pull the stock off to get started.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:54 PM
Gazz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, an accu trigger. I'll take a look at in the morning.
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-06-2021, 09:57 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While you have the bolt out, you may want to check for sharp edges on the exposed area of the extractor. Unlike it's big brothers, the Rascal has a one piece bolt and the extractor rotates with it.

My extractor had sharp edges on it and was shaving material off where it meets the barrel.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:06 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This is worth a watch https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...suJGgdnogArdtF
Old 07-07-2021, 06:17 AM
Gazz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The video was interesting. I had already reduced the part of the fp that strikes the barrel to give a little more reach to the fp travel but had not reduced the striking surface that hits the rim of the cartridge. I will do that today if I get the time.
Thanks again everybody!
Old 07-07-2021, 09:00 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wasn't a Rascal, but a totally different gun on which I lengthened the entire FP by placing it flat on a hard steel surface and pounding it along its entire length with a hammer. Increased the OAL by a few thousandths and cured a light strike problem.

Might be something to try if none of the above suggestions work.

You could also order a new FP.

Hope you get this problem solved, since the Rascals are usually good little rifles. I have two of them.