Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:12 PM
bianchinut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Prefered Sights for Small Game Hunting

What does everyone prefer for small game hunting?

Open Iron Sights
Wide Scan Hood
Peep Sights
Scoped

Growing up, my grandfather made my brother and I prove ourselves by requiring us to shoot 8 pecans off a tree with iron sights before we "qualified" to go squirrel hunting (@15 yards with a 10 shot limit).

Personally, I had perfect vision my whole life, that is, until I went to law school. After my first year, I was fitted with glasses. Until this point, I had been using a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express for squirrel hunting since the area I usually hunt is commonly filled with the opportunity to jump some wood ducks. Lately, I have been wanting to focus more on squirrels (largely due to the fact that I don't like wading through alligator filled water to pick up my ducks). For that reason, and also just because I wanted one, I picked up a Marlin Model 60 and fitted it with a Simmons .22 Mag 4x scope. I can't wait to take it out in the woods and blast some squirrels, but I just wanted to know everyone else's preferences.

To all the other hunters out there, Good Luck and Good Eatin'
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Laiceps
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My friend that is a matter of what is being shot.

I am under that assumption of small game with a .22 or .17 of some sort. (I don't want to start the open debate of rifle over shotgun, to each is their own)

I like to use a high powered scope, that is just because my vision isn't all that great and I am left handed and Right eyed.

Brand name aside, I like a 2-7 or a 3-9 but would be open to a 4 - 12 powered scope for a .22 or .22 mag.

Please remember this is just my opinion and that is all, I don't like shotgun for squirrels. For that reason alone thank you ~Robert Deniero~ (Deer Hunter) one shot one kill, I only need one bullet when I go into the woods.

I don't go into the woods with round obviously but I am sure you get the point.

Thank you
Diggity
Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 PM
sharkman8810

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use scope 3-9 for hunting, mostly between 6x and 4x the higher powee is nice for sighting in. I was going to try hunting with cz and brookies ghost ring just to see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cool My eyes pretty much...

My eyes pretty much require an AO equiped scope. If its a .22 I go with a 3x9 and if it is a .22 mag or any of the 17's I prefer a 4x12, also AO equiped. I am also partial to the old steel tubed Weavers. The scope is typically set between 4 to 6 power for most situations and I crank it up as needed. Don't think I have ever gone below 4x.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
$harp$hooter14
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Depends on the gun Im using. If I use the winchester 62 its iron sights. Even if I could fit it with a scope I wouldn't. It just would be robbing some of the fun out of shooting an old pump gun.

All of my other rifles have scopes. Most stay at 4x, mainly because im young and its all I use to ever use. The highest power I ever use is 6x on my 4.5-14 APV.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Scopes for me. I got tired of shooting knots off of tree limbs that resembled squirrels in the thick dark woods around here. With iron sights, I could get squirrels up to around 35 yards. With a 2-7x or 3-9x scope and a good pair of binoculars, I can get them at 50 to 75 yards most of the time, with occasional longer shots.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
the_forester

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Buckmark pistol: Iron sights. These are modified sights, and just a tad easier to hone in targets than stock ones. I prefer iron sights because I like to holster a side arm and I carry concealed as well. Maybe some time I will get one of those itty bitty micro 1 MOA red dots, but for now, I'm going naked. Good for head shots up to about 20 yards. Great grouse gun.

Custom Marlin papoose rifle: I think I have a 6x scope on there now that is too heavy and the reticle wire is too thick. I need to get a new set of rings for the new scope I got for it which is a 3-9x. This one should be just the ticket for squirrels-coyotes between 10-200 yards (mil-dot reticle for estimating holdover on that one).
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
dcarhart
US Air Force Veteran Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a 3-9 AO scope on my 2 .22 rifles.

I'm looking at getting a .22 revolver (don't know why I sold the last one) and will put a red dot on it.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
varminatorII
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the smaller compact size scopes for small game myself, like the 2-7x32 or 33.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
lefty red
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like FO peep sights myself. But then I don't shoot past 40 yards in most shoots. And I think 30 yards is the norm. I'm not "that" old, but I do like a fixed power 4x scope. I think it has to do with the reticles more than the power. My newest addition is a 10/22 with a reddot. I'm getting great groups at 25 yards with it and its light and handy.

I don't take long shots, mostly because I hunt in some thick stuff and I haven't had a good squirrel/camp dog in a few years. So I'm the one that has to go get the dead squawk! I must have ADD or something, cause I have to run over and pick the thing up right then, are its 50/50 I'll find it after a minute or two.

Lefty