Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
HideHunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cool First Kill

You guys got me all nervous about squirrel hunting. Got a short couple weeks to go here. Been trying to figure out what I wanted to shoot for shells. Really want to try CCI SS HP. Been to every place that sells ammo within driving distance. No Luck. Not going to be a major problem because "Mikey" (GM heavy sporter) will eat anything. Decided to try the Rem SS.

It's getting there.

C'mon Sept. 1.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
slayer6
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mr squirrels head says

ouch!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, the fly held still while I adjusted the bags. Squirrels aren't usually that accomodating. But I think the gun will do it - if I do my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 06:25 PM
D Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
They have them here in Cedar Rapids. Let me know if I can help you out.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
#$&%#@%^ (Dad Blame it) - D Rock!!!! I was just there Saturday. Tried every place I knew. Where did I miss?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:44 PM
D Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Got mine at Great Outdoor Traditions. Cedar Valley Outfitters in marion has the best selection in town, but none of the SS HP.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:49 PM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is that the old Fin and Feather? One of the locals told me they went 'green' so I skipped them. Outsmarted myself again.

*But* I've got a son and a son in law up there. I'll put them on it. They each owe me somewhere about a million shells apiece anyway.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
$harp$hooter14
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
Is that the old Fin and Feather? One of the locals told me they went 'green' so I skipped them. Outsmarted myself again.

*But* I've got a son and a son in law up there. I'll put them on it. They each owe me somewhere about a million shells apiece anyway.
Yup, thats the place. I buy ammo from them occassionally, typically I stick to Cedar Valley Outfitters.

D Rock, you shooting a 22lr this season? Hit me up with a pm we need to get together for a hunt again.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:58 PM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys - Appreciate the info.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM
D Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
As Sharpshooter said yes it is the old fin and feather. Have them look at Cedar Valley Outfitters also, many kinds of ammo, I picked up some Wolf match extra, Aguila SSS, and CCI standard velocity. The standard velocity is the same speed as the SS HP but it is not a hollow point.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 PM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks again - everybody has the standards - nobody has the HP.

I'll get them on it. I've got all their guns right now, sighting them in. I'll hold them ransom.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
pigspitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would shoot the SV CCI's. If you can shoot consistently like that then you shouldn't have any trouble braining the tree rats. I rarely use hps with my henry because I never really hunt from farther than 50 yards and I can take a headshot easily with my gun.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 AM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm strictly a "headshooter" too, spitter. Been wanting to find a SS my guns shoot well.

I shot solids for years and got a long pretty well. Then I got hold of a bad brick of shells and when I figured it out I grabbed the first box of shells I could out my hands on. Happened to be a box of GB HP.

I found out that solids kill them dead - Hollow points kill them deader.

I shot a *lot* of squirrels last year and I had only two get away. One that just wasn't there when I went to pick him up (no clue) - the other crawled in a hole.

I was putting the final tune on my SIL's rifle and he was shooting solids. I took it out and shot two squirrels. One was shot through both eyes - the other through the ears - I had to club both of them.

I know there is a lot of good arguments on both sides of the solid/hp argument. I have to come down on the side of the HP.

takecare..g
Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 AM
varminatorII
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
I'm strictly a "headshooter" too, spitter. Been wanting to find a SS my guns shoot well.

I shot solids for years and got a long pretty well. Then I got hold of a bad brick of shells and when I figured it out I grabbed the first box of shells I could out my hands on. Happened to be a box of GB HP.

I found out that solids kill them dead - Hollow points kill them deader.

I shot a *lot* of squirrels last year and I had only two get away. One that just wasn't there when I went to pick him up (no clue) - the other crawled in a hole.

I was putting the final tune on my SIL's rifle and he was shooting solids. I took it out and shot two squirrels. One was shot through both eyes - the other through the ears - I had to club both of them.

I know there is a lot of good arguments on both sides of the solid/hp argument. I have to come down on the side of the HP.

takecare..g
What about the flat nosed solids like the CCI SGB's, how do you think these would work on squirrels. Ive noticed they pattern best in my squirrel popper, even better than the HP Subs-which is what im useing now and they seem to get the job done but the SGB's seem to be more accurate in my gun. I may have to give them a try and see.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
HideHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Worth a shot, Varminator. Like everyone else, I'm looking for the "ultimate" squirrel load for my rifle. Unfortunately, the sgbs are harder to find here than SS HP (and they're tough). Let me know how they work out for you.