Trying to bring an R Murdock back to life - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:53 AM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying to bring an R Murdock back to life

I bought this gun along with a Winchester 1902 and flobert. A little over a week ago. It took me three days to re do the little Winchester. Thr little youth rifle noe shoots nad looks like brand new. The R Murdock was not second on the list p. I wanted to go to town on the flobert. I took the Murdock apart to inspect it and I just ended up starting on it. I am in need of a from wood octagon foened if anyone has a source for one...or has one laying around in their parts bin. It’s also missing the adjuster for the rear sight and front sight blade. I saw Numerics carries reproduction parts. Seems Dixie gun works is out of the 32 rimfires cases to load with a cast ball abd a 22 blank. So it looks like I won’t be shooting any time soon or ever with no ammo in production. Here is my three days of busting my hump so far on it. It’s a lot more work then the Winchester 1902. In 3 days I had my Winchester completed finshined. Three days and I’m stroll not done with the Murdock. I’d say another couple of days and it will be back together accept for the parts I need. Can anyone suggest or where I can’ get replacement parts or ammo?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-12-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:19 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Neat project Tripplebeards! What are you using to put the case coloring on the metal?

These folks may have the brass you want https://www.rccbrass.com/?s=32+rim+f...t_type=product

Frank
Old 02-12-2021, 07:40 AM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used Brownel’s Oxpho blue. I dipped a Q Tip in the bluing and then dipped part of the Q-tip in water to help the bluing flow. I rubbed the Q-tip back and forth in the same spot till brighter bluing appeared in spots. I have to do my 1873 SxS 10 gauge receiver like that one of these days.

Here’s the YouTube video link I watched to learn how to do it...

https://youtu.be/pMz91TjaBXw

That’s the brass I am looking for! Just don’t want to buy 50. I was hoping for 10, 1, or maybe 20 at max. I’d like to get my hands on 2 or 3 just to experiment with them first to see if the rifle is accurate and will actually shoot. Does anyone here a have a couple I could buy or trade for?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-12-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2021, 10:37 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks for the link Tripplebeards, I might have to try that process on an old 12 gauge coach gun I've been thinking about redoing.

On the ammo, 2 thoughts.

1) buy the box of 50 from RCC Brass and then sell what you don't want on Gun Broker for $10 each, 5 piece minimum. You might even make a little profit not counting your effort.

2) If you just want to hear it go bang once or twice find somebody selling a few originals like this guy https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891266884 There are quite a few listed https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...e%20ammunition

I'm assuming it's .32 long?

Frank
Old 02-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no idea myself. There is no caliber marking on the barrel. I found “32” stamped on the sliding block. This makes me believe it’s a 32 rimfire.

Here is picture before I did some metal polishing and bluing.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:52 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That's interesting Tripplebeards, I would have expected to see "NATIONAL FIREARMS CO" on the barrel like this one: https://kraftauctions.hibid.com/lot/...--32-rf-rifle/

.32 rimfire is a whole class of ammo so you might want to do a chamber cast with cerrosafe or parrafin before you plunk down any change for ammo. Although you'd be safe with the .32 short for sure.

Fun project, please post the finished pictures when you're done!

Frank
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found out the reason why the lever falls down so easy the lever spring and screw that holds it in place has been removed. I would assume it mustíve broke at one point and no one put the screw back. Iíve been trying to find a replacement spring and screw online and even found that Hopkins and Allen 922 is the same rifle. Still canít find the spring or screw for the Hopkins. I guess itís gonna be a wall hanger until I find parts.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:41 AM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the spring along with screw that is missing. Anyone have an idea where I can find one?

Numerics has both front and rear reproduction sights. Iíll have to order them on a few days once I get the wood done. I need the boots screw that holds it into the stock as well. Someone installed a larger screw into it.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:48 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I suspect unless you lead a charmed life and one magically appears that you're going to have to make that lever spring Tripplebeards.

Here's some good info from a previous RFC thread. First post gives rough dimensions.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=750193

There's a shade tree gunsmithing book mentioned in there that sounds like it's got good ideas on spring making among other things. Here's a copy for under $20 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...KCEM68FS&psc=1

Good luck with it. I've taken on some orphan restorations before too and if you're patient it usually works out.

Frank
Old 02-16-2021, 01:27 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, Iím as far as Iím going to get on it till I find parts. I refinished the existing fore end till I find or make a replacement. I will end up ordered the front and rear sight adjuster from Numerics today. Hopefully the front sight wonít be too much of a pain to tap out and replace. I was debating on making a a front sight blade and taping it in place. I spent a good amount of time on the stock. The receiver never mated up evenly to the stock before I started. I didnít want to bend the receiver arms for a more even look as I was afraid Iíd snap the metal being itís probably brittle from age. I did add a little acra glass so the receiver is mounted up solid with the stock. It moved loosely back and forth when I received it. Itís rock solid now. It will make someone a great rebore project someday if donít decide to keep it. The action is as smooth as silk and is ready to shoot as long as I hold the lever shut. Can someone tell me what kind of wood this is if I decide to try and make a forend?

Old 02-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received a tip that C. Sharp Arms made a reproduction Hopkins and Allen 922 a few years back. The R Murdock was apparently a company like Montgomery Wards that sold and rebranded it. I called C. Sharps Arms today. They sent a picture of the spring and screw. Looks 100% correct. $27 plus shipping. They also told me I could return it if it doesn't work. Great company!!!!!...But IMO a little expensive for a spring listed and out of stock at Numerics for $6. When I called I was told they had one but didn’t know what to sell it to me for and would call back when they figured out a price. I figured since I didn’t have a pattern to go off of I probably couldn’t make one for $30 and if I did it would be a long journey to get it right. I'll get the sights ordered up from Numerics and be all set accept for making a new forend.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-17-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:56 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received the spring and the screw today. They work perfect so the gun is back and working. I just have to wait for the sights to show up now.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-23-2021 at 09:50 AM.