Egg Crate, PickNPluck, or Regular Foam? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Egg Crate, PickNPluck, or Regular Foam?

For those of you that regularly use hard rifle cases, what is your preference for the inside foam? I'm thinking that egg crate style would be most universal but possibly wouldn't secure as well. Your thoughts?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:18 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I carry 5 hand guns in one case. The case has egg crate on both sides with a regular flat foam spacer in the middle. The guns stay put better with the flat foam used as a spacer on the outside with the egg crate touching both sides of the guns.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Depends on the thickness of the foam within.
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 01:59 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I personally like the pick n pluck because it keeps your firearms from moving around.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive had some egg-crate not hold a gun securely, maybe just old? Can tell because after placing the gun squarely in the middle and carrying the case by the handle when it is opened the gun has shifted. Solved that by backing the egg-crate with another sheet of stuff, that has been working for some time now.
Somewhat related, I often see folks leave their cased laying opened up, this makes it easy for all manner of junk to get into the foam from dust to bird-do. Also allows the foam to play sponge and soak up humidity. I have mine open only as needed.
About once a year during heating season, when the house is warm and humidity low, I open them up, pull the foam and dry everything out for a day, reinstall and spray the contact surface lightly with silicone spray. Since doing this I have never had the horrible experience of pulling a gun out after a couple days back to home and finding rust.