Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Origami

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sloppy SR22 slide??

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to shooting.

The rear end of the slide of my SR22 can be moved side to side approximately 0.010" easily, and perhaps 0.015" under moderate finger pressure. I don't know if it returns to the same location after each shot, or whether it arbitrarily moves side to side within that 0.010"-0.015" range after each shot.

Can anyone tell me if that amount of side motion is normal for an SR22, or if that amount of motion is normal for the slides of pistols in general?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM
rr7135
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Origami:

My SR22 slide has play in it. The front has vertical play and the rear has horizontal play. I can't tell you what the measurements are but it is normal as per Ruger's technician I spoke to about it.

Take care,
rr7135
Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Origami

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the information. Since the sights are part of the slide, and the slide can move sideways (and, apparently, vertically as well), that could adversely impact accuracy.

Does anyone have a sense whether the slide always returns to the same location after every shot, or does it return to a random location?

I ask because my target groups are not nearly as tight as I wish they were. In my inexperience I'm not sure whether I have to shoulder all of the blame myself, or whether I can pass some of the blame off on the pistol? Perhaps someday I'll have the opportunity of having a skillful shooter show me what the gun is capable of doing, then I'll know for sure how much my skills are lacking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 PM
JHB51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The barrel to slide fit is more important than slide to frame. The sights are on the slide if the sight is frame mounted then the slide, barrel, and frame fit is important.

The SR22 is not designed as a precision target pistol if that is what you want the Mark I-IV series is more suited for that in that price range.

The S&W Model41 and Pardini are excellent examples but the price is a lot more.
Precision is not cheap.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Origami

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As best I can tell the slide does not touch the barrel except at the breech -- at least I don't see any wear on the barrel port at the front of the slide.

I knew when I bought this that it wasn't a target pistol. It was billed as being a "fun" pistol, and I certainly have had fun shooting it. But part of "fun" is getting the best you can out of your equipment, as well as yourself.

Thanks for your helpful comments.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 AM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first SR.22 and my brothers also just would never group that good at all. They functioned ok. My brother was soured on his and never will buy another one.I eventually did. It shot Remington and CCI ok for function .I shot federal and it was very accurate with that ammo. ButÖ..I had FTF FTE problems. Ruger customer service was good but said if it shoots Remington and cci use that for reliability..But who would not want the most accurate out of your gun??? Why do some ruger SR.22 shoot any ammo with no problems. I wanted one that would. So it made a trip back to ruger. They ended up putting a whole new slide assembly on it. When I got it back everything looked good and tight. Even can be a little tricky to get the slide back on.But now it shoots any ammo I want with no problems. So I can shoot my federal and other stuff as well.I changed out my front sight to the ruger red fiber optic.On a good day I can probably shoot a golf ball at 10,15 yrds.off hand. Plenty good for what I wanted it for. These SR.22 are like a box of chocolates.But when you get a good one you keep it.As stated not a range gun.I only shoot single action with my SR.22. Try different ammo in your gun to see that the barrel is not loose.The Remington yellow jackets shoot pretty accurate out of mine too. You just may have one that groups like a shotgun.It happens. Then call ruger.Hope this helps.Bill DSCN1286.jpg
Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Origami

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trapper Bill

I don't see any indication that the barrel is loose.

I haven't tried testing of different types of ammunition. I buy what's most inexpensive at Wally-World -- Remington Thunderbolt and Gold Bullet, Winchester M22, Federal Target Grade, etc, both solid lead and plated. So I could explore different types of ammunition more carefully. Does the advertised muzzle velocity offer any sort of guidance as to expected target accuracy?

I've fired perhaps 2000 rounds and have had some FTF and FTE. More when the gun was newer; less more recently. When I have a FTF I usually re-insert the round in a different position, and usually it still won't fire. So I've concluded that it's the ammunition's fault, not the pistol's fault.

I wasn't sure what to make of the occasional failure to feed, so I purchased an aftermarket Tandomkross recoil spring. Didn't seem to make much difference. It seems that as the gun has gotten broken in there are fewer failure to feeds and fewer FTEs. Don't know if different types of ammunition have different types of failures, or different failure rates.

But I've got a couple of stumps full of lead, and it's all FUN!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:53 PM
trapper bill
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I would do is buy a box off CCI mini mags and just shoot em through the gun for function with the original factory setup.So I would reinstall the original guide rod and spring . You have to isolate the problems you may have as the way Ruger designed it first. Then you will know stuff like ....it ran fine before I installed this or that. Shoot the high velocity stuff out of it tell you know itís reliable.The primer compound in some .22 ammo may make you think itís a gun problem. Try to stick with Remington,CCI and Federal for now. No standard velocity yet.I would not shoot the Winchester stuff .I always load my magazines when new and let em set for a few days before I shoot a new gun when I can. The magazines can cause issues. Remember the magazine is part of the gun when installed and needs to function properly for your gun to work as intended.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:28 PM
speeedy6
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's your sights !

Origami, I had a question about my sights about 6 months ago too. Seems the best I could do was about a 4'' group at around 50' offhand. I knew I could shoot better than that. Those dunb ol' dot sights that are all the rage now just get you in the area of your target. Just think about it, with all the dots lined up, you could still be off quite a bit left or right and up or down.
Here's the fix to shoot better, you have to do it yourself cause nobody makes a set of target sights for this gun.

Take a fine file to the sides of your front sight to make it narrower. So you can see a gap to the left and right when centered.
Use some flat white or black paint and paint over the entire rear sight.
Find some of your wifes nail polish ( the color she uses when she feels a little trashy, you know, nice and bright ) and color the entire face of the front sight.

Now go to the range and use a rest and try getting on target with your new "target " sights. You'll see you can get a better sight picture the way sights are supposed to be used. I have no doubt the dot sights are very useful when wanting to get a reasonable ,close shot when being shot back at. But they are terrible at a tin can, paper target or a fat squirrel.
Hope that helps, Mark