Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Out West
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Reports of problems

Looking at the most recent threads on the SR22 I see lots of issues reported. Lots of guns going back to Ruger.

Has something changed? I've had mine for many years, fired many rounds and no problems. Is the SR22 still a reliable pistol?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My SR22 is perfectly reliable and eats about any ammo. That being said, it is the pistol I have that is most succeptable to limp wristing.

Yeah, get the jokes out now about 22 recoil... I'll wait.

Plainly and simply, if you don't give it a firm platform against which to recoil, there is enough blow back energy to eject the round but not enough to strip the next, so you get an empty chamber.

It's a fantastic tool for me to learn to shoot quickly but keep good form.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
People on forums talk about reliability more than the general gun owning public. I don't think the SR22 is any more or less reliable than it was before you just hear about it more on gun forums.

I bought both my SR22s used. The first one was completely reliable. The second one which was an early first year one didn't work. It was sent back to Ruger and returned running perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 01:53 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
We have had two, both Not the early ones, and they run fine. We used mostly CCI HV for break in, as is our normal for semi-auto's and I do tend to run the plated bullet ammo of whatever brand rather than the plain lead after that.
Oh, btw, lube is your friend; if you havent taken it down and cleaned it all up, especially the chamber, and re-lubed you are doing yourself no favors.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 AM
mobilemechanic
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remember,people who have problems are more likely to say something than those who are having no problems.
Ruger has probably sold thousands and most of us have had no trouble after a few break in rounds. Just my .02 c
Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Mark40
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OW- I've owned three....and the newest one, recently purchased, has run the best out of the box. Agree with what mobilemechanic said above.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Dranrab
US Coast Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one and took it straight to the dirt pit with several different types of ammo. I didn't make it through a single magazine without an issue. I took it home, stripped it down and cleaned it real good. It has functioned flawlessly ever since.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:43 AM
HyFiveGuns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased my SR22 back in January 2017 and I've had continual fail-to-fire issues where I can't get through a single magazine without at least 3-4 times having to pull the trigger multiple times to get ignition. I tested with multiple brands and flavors of ammo and stripped and cleaned numerous times to no avail. I ultimately sent the gun back to Ruger and they essentially replaced the entire gun except the frame with the serial number. It has been flawless since.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 AM
TnTnTn
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had to send mine back right after purchase for failure to fire...usually fired on 2nd strike. Ruger replaced the complete slide assembly and it has been mostly reliable since. It does have weak extraction imo...if a dud round doesn’t fire the extractor usually won’t pull it from the chamber. The extractor spring seems weak or the extractor is not gripping well. If it wasn’t a hassle to tear down, replacement with an after market extractor and spring would probably be curative. Having said that it is my favorite edc around my place of the several 22 autos I have. It has killed several copperheads and other vermin around my place.....
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I submit that a round that has not fired that will not easliy extract is likely an ammo out of spec issue or a crudded up chamber.
Look up the 'bend a 243 brush' trick to scrub out a chamber without a tear-down.
I clean and pre-soak a chamber with a bent q-tip with solvent to avoid a build up. Some ammo is terrible for making chamber crud/hard rings and once a hard crud ring is there you will have to work at it some to get it out.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:30 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I notice two things regarding firing issues.....if a round doesn't fire and you have a very light strike...dirty chamber where the round didn't fully seat and it moved forward when the firing pin hit it. The second strike usually fires it. If there is a solid firing pin strike and it doesn't fire....bad round. Both can be pretty common with .22 ammo. We all generally shoot a lot of it compared to more expensive CF ammo. 1917
Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 PM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The reasons we sold both our SR22 pistols. A good try by Ruger and some here have had flawless results with theirs. Just too many issues & variables with the crap shoot when you get one. Ruger is wonderful replacing things, but sometimes you have to avoid the new plastic models that are trying to be a Glock and stick with the older time proven pistols. But, a good try by them in avoiding using any zinc/pot metal parts. Just not really accurate either. Trigger was terrible. The safety levers were the real bust. And we cleaned the chambers & mags all the time. And had both back to Ruger for issues.
Sorry guys. Too many things going on in the slide & receiver.
Find a nice used MKI or II and call it a day.

Last edited by ViperR; 02-21-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, Those are not safety levers, they are decockers.
A double action semi-auto doesnt need a safety lever, the hammer interlock wont let the firing pin hit the primer unless the trigger is pulled full back.
Ours sits 'completely safe' without the decocker on, just as 'safe' as our S&W double action revolver; point and pull either one the same way to get the job done.
I will admit that it took me a bit to get my head around this coming from a '1911 type platform'. Once I did it was like, duh.... Now Im good with it.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:01 AM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Actually, owning two of them in both barrel lengths, the lever(s) are both decockers and safety levers. Dual purpose. With the hammer already decocked and down, applying the lever acts as a safety disconnecting the trigger bar. Flipping it to the red puts the pistol in double action 1st shot mode.
But, everyone already knows this. We just didn't like the reversed levers, long DA pull, etc. What we plan on doing is trying several rental .22's and decide. The
Walther PPQ M2 looks good. As long as there is no Zamax/zinc alloy. I hope the PPQ is like the SR22 having an aluminum slide with a steel breech and receiver housing is not zinc. Been down the P22 route and they were junk.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 PM
RickClark28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West View Post
Looking at the most recent threads on the SR22 I see lots of issues reported. Lots of guns going back to Ruger.

Has something changed? I've had mine for many years, fired many rounds and no problems. Is the SR22 still a reliable pistol?
We have x2 of them. One when they first came out and the second one I got last spring and both run great and eat all ammo. Both will have issues with limp wrist and can be corrected with use. We love them both. Still no issues with the first one and I really love the one I got last year. We never had any issues that some have reported on the internet.