SR 22 long barrel info? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2018, 09:40 PM
cbinfl
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2016
Location: 
Clearwater FL
Posts: 
10
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SR 22 long barrel info?



Log in to see fewer ads
I ‘ve searched this thread several ways, but no luck. I looking for info and opinions on the 4.5 inch barreled SR 22 ? Any help?
Thanks,
Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2018, 09:42 PM
danatkins

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Posts: 
8
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We've got one and love it

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Carrij's Avatar
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2018
Location: 
Southwest Florida
Posts: 
72
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one a little over a year ago that now has around 8,000 rounds through it. It has functioned flawlessly and is now my wife's go to pistol. Two friends have the shorter barrel version but when we go to the range they always want to shoot mine. It is amazing how the extra inch of barrel length seems to improve the accuracy of the gun.

You can't go wrong with either but for me it's worth the price in the long run. Action wise the 3.5 and 4.5 are identical so any add on items will be the same. The only difference between the two is the additional barrel and slide length.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-29-2018, 03:19 PM
glennasher is online now
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2003
Location: 
Radcliff, KY
Posts: 
1,247
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrij View Post
I bought one a little over a year ago that now has around 8,000 rounds through it. It has functioned flawlessly and is now my wife's go to pistol. Two friends have the shorter barrel version but when we go to the range they always want to shoot mine. It is amazing how the extra inch of barrel length seems to improve the accuracy of the gun.

You can't go wrong with either but for me it's worth the price in the long run. Action wise the 3.5 and 4.5 are identical so any add on items will be the same. The only difference between the two is the additional barrel and slide length.

Yeah, what he said. Mine shoots fairly well, for what it is, and it's fun to shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM
cbinfl
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2016
Location: 
Clearwater FL
Posts: 
10
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies and info about added accuracy. That's what I thought. I'm going to start looking for one.

Last edited by cbinfl; 09-29-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
polarys425
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Location: 
Grottoes, VA.
Posts: 
342
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd be in for one if Ruger would ever put a factory threaded barrel on it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2018, 09:12 AM
mac66's Avatar
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Apr 2002
Location: 
S/E Michigan
Posts: 
2,264
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could buy a regular 3.5" one and then put a extended/threaded barrel on it. Doesn't increase the sight radius but will give you a longer barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,449
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I posted else where my plans to purchase an sr22 and that will be a 4.5" model 3620. I want the sight radius. Lets say, I need the sight radius.

It is not a free lunch and not an obvious choice for best resulting accuracy. Barrel time is a big factor in performance. Not accuracy but shooter results. What you have to realize is follow threw and consistency is absolutely critical to pistol shooting. Every detail from position of feet, shoulders arms and obviously grip. Every aspect of grip. This is because the gun moves before the bullet exits the barrel. I went from a 5" 1911 to a 6" 1911 and my shooting suffered. The 6" was more accurate off a rest. That was due to higher quality not the barrel. The ideal 1911 would have an extended front sight with a std length barrel. Now a 22 is not a 45 and SR22 is not a target pistol. I hope to gain more from the sight radius than I loose from the barrel time.

It is not a choice to agonize over. I even like the looks better with 4.5". For me, that is a short barrel already. Now on a more sarcastic note, try and pry some actual group size data from SR22 owners!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2019, 02:06 PM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

Join Date: 
Jan 2005
Location: 
Central OH
Posts: 
103
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
You could buy a regular 3.5" one and then put a extended/threaded barrel on it. Doesn't increase the sight radius but will give you a longer barrel.
You could also buy a 3620 and an aftermarket threaded barrel. I think there a company making a 5.1" threaded one still. Twin tech tactical maybe?

Yup here it is: https://twintechtactical.com/5-1-lon...2-model-03620/

I just picked up a 3620 with fire sights installed, used. Seems a touch rough in a place or two but shot like crap with all the ammo I tested, which admittedly wasn't much, for me (only 10 or 12 kinds that day) Might have someone else try it to make sure it wasn't the loose nut behind the wheel. Otherwise I may look into a new barrel myself. I rather need the longer sight radius too. : Age may have it's perks but good eyesight isn't one of them.

When I get things more worked out at home I'll probably do a metric butt load of ammo testing with this to see how she shoots. My ancient VQ enhanced 9million pound mk2 it ain't, but that wasn't what I was looking for, either.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 AM
polarys425
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Location: 
Grottoes, VA.
Posts: 
342
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweazel View Post
You could also buy a 3620 and an aftermarket threaded barrel. I think there a company making a 5.1" threaded one still. Twin tech tactical maybe?

Yup here it is: https://twintechtactical.com/5-1-lon...2-model-03620/

I just picked up a 3620 with fire sights installed, used. Seems a touch rough in a place or two but shot like crap with all the ammo I tested, which admittedly wasn't much, for me (only 10 or 12 kinds that day) Might have someone else try it to make sure it wasn't the loose nut behind the wheel. Otherwise I may look into a new barrel myself. I rather need the longer sight radius too. : Age may have it's perks but good eyesight isn't one of them.

When I get things more worked out at home I'll probably do a metric butt load of ammo testing with this to see how she shoots. My ancient VQ enhanced 9million pound mk2 it ain't, but that wasn't what I was looking for, either.
Twintech stopped making the threaded barrel for the 4.5" Sr22. The fact that it's all over their website makes me wonder if they started making them again. I sent them a message to find out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 AM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

Join Date: 
Jan 2005
Location: 
Central OH
Posts: 
103
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarys425 View Post
Twintech stopped making the threaded barrel for the 4.5" Sr22. The fact that it's all over their website makes me wonder if they started making them again. I sent them a message to find out.
They stopped making the 4.5". They seem to now have a 5.1" instead from what I see on the site. Let us know what they say.

iw
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 PM
polarys425
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Location: 
Grottoes, VA.
Posts: 
342
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweazel View Post
They stopped making the 4.5". They seem to now have a 5.1" instead from what I see on the site. Let us know what they say.

iw
Seems they made a run of them, and are now sold out. They did not know when another run would be made.

It's rather irritating, as I contacted them not too long ago about these barrels. They indicated at that time they wouldn't be making any more.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-25-2019, 05:42 PM
camguyed

Join Date: 
Jul 2018
Posts: 
5
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a new one in July (4.5" barrell) at my LGS. They had two in stock. In 40 years of shooting handguns, this little pistol is the most fun I have ever had with a handgun. Because it is small and light I don't mind shooting hundreds of rounds at a session. Because it is so light is has a little more muzzell rise than my S&W 22 Victory. It almost is like shooting a centerfire with little recoil. I'm glad I got the longer barrel because it is not as accurate as the Victory. The 3.5" would have been worse. It eats everything I feed it and it loves Remmington Thunderbolts ($15 a brick!)

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1566769315

D75_0009.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D75_0007.jpg (519.9 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x