Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:36 PM
xtian999

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Un- Safety

I had the chance to shoot a Ruger SR-22 pistol at the range today, courtesy of a local gun shop who had a tent at the competition. I love Ruger products in general, and a few in particular, but the safety on the SR is counter-intuitive and therefore, imho, unsafe.

Like driving on the right hand side of the road: It is arbitrary, but to go against local convention will result in an increase in head-on collisions.

The pistol designers surely had reasons for making the safety that way, but the truth is everybody else does it the way most people are used to. Being different is cool and all, but not where safe operation of firearms is concerned.

Last edited by xtian999; 03-25-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:41 PM
hgratt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian999 View Post
I had the chance to shoot a Ruger SR-22 pistol at the range today, courtesy of a local gun shop who had a tent at the competition. I love Ruger products in general, and a few in particular, but the safety on the SR is counter-intuitive and therefore, imho, unsafe.

Like driving on the right hand side of the road: It is arbitrary, but to go against local convention will result in an increase in head-on collisions.

The pistol designers surely had reasons for making the safety that way, but the truth is everybody else does it the way most people are used to. Being different is cool and all, but not where safe operation of firearms is concerned.
From a previous post of mine on a simlar thread:

"The sr22 "safety" is primarily a de-cocker which also doubles as a safety. The mode of operation is consistent with those early da/sa semi-autos which introduced this feature. I have a 1960 Walter P38 which operates in this exact fashion.

In the end, for whatever firearm(s) you choose to own, you need to learn their features and how to operate them. "
Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 PM
mobilemechanic
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Odd that people have an issue with the SR22 decocker and just love the CZ 22 rifles with the backward safety ! I guess if everyone loved the same thing it would be a dull world indeed !By the way I own a SR22 and just leave the lever up once decocked .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 05:30 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the OP which is why I don't use the safety, I use it as a decocker only. A double action trigger doesn't need a safety.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgratt View Post

In the end, for whatever firearm(s) you choose to own, you need to learn their features and how to operate them. "[/I]
Exactly !
I was very familiar with the safety and how to operate the Mark series of pistols .
When I bought my first SR22 , I had to learn that firearmís safety and operations.
Just part of being a proficient and responsible gun owner .
Donít blame the gun just because youíre unfamiliar with it . Kirby
Old 03-26-2018, 06:44 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Exactly !
I was very familiar with the safety and how to operate the Mark series of pistols .
When I bought my first SR22 , I had to learn that firearmís safety and operations.
Just part of being a proficient and responsible gun owner .
Donít blame the gun just because youíre unfamiliar with it . Kirby
I don't think the SR safety is unsafe but it is counter intuitive. Everybody has their likes and dislikes, this is one thing I dislike about the SR but not enough not to buy one. As I said I simply don't use it.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemechanic View Post
Odd that people have an issue with the SR22 decocker and just love the CZ 22 rifles with the backward safety ! I guess if everyone loved the same thing it would be a dull world indeed !By the way I own a SR22 and just leave the lever up once decocked .
I too only use the lever as a decocker on my SR22. It is a da/sa exposed hammer firearm. How much safer can it get.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:38 PM
riffraff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Going to put up a post in a minute on the troubles w/ mine that I recently bought but I do not find the safety one bit confusing either. Actually if anything what I'm used to works precisely the same aside from I'm used to having only a decocker and no such safety (ie round in chamber the only safety feature is the full trigger pull if decocked).

Actually I thought this post might have been about the mag safety (and a way to delete it) when I first read the post, which absolutely confused the hell out of me the other night after cleaning and checking function (what did I do to break the trigger ).
Old 04-29-2018, 04:54 PM
mn_doggie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not too concerned about which direction the safety or decocker moves to function.

I'm more concerned about people who can't adapt and I question whether or not they should be using firearms.

This complaint falls under "all cars need to have the windshield wiper controls" in the same place and operating the same way"

If you can't figure it out and easily adapt, you shouldn't be using the vehicle/firearm/tool, etc..

(And to the person who says its not the same, imagine having your entire windshield splashed with mud so you can't see while you are travelling at 70 mph on a two lane road with oncoming traffic.)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:05 PM
jsteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is what happens when a decocker and a safety from the same family breed, LOL
Old 01-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Mark40
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemechanic View Post
By the way I own a SR22 and just leave the lever up once decocked .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I agree with the OP which is why I don't use the safety, I use it as a decocker only. A double action trigger doesn't need a safety.
agreed, that's the way I look at it.
But I can understand those like the OPthat look at it the other way.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see it 100% the opposite of the OP. I think Ruger got the safety right and the other guns that are the reverse got it wrong.

The safety should be out of the way for Firing and in the way for Safe. It's stupid to have your thumb wrapped over the safety for shooting - like it is on the MKIV. I can't stand it. The ambidextrous mag release is another thing Ruger did right on the SR22 and wrong on the MKIV. JMO.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:03 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The SR22, and any of the other similar designs, is just as safe as the typical 'double action' revolver that nobody seems to complain about. Early on, with ours, I had to get my head around the idea too; it aint just another 1911 variant. In the nightstand or in carry it is never on 'safe', doesnt need to be; point and pull just like the old Official Police/Python.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Mark40
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
In the nightstand or in carry it is never on 'safe', doesnt need to be; point and pull just like the old Official Police/Python.
Yes!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Crestwalker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Decocker, Greatest thing to come along since peanut butter and Spam. When breaking in the wife to firearm usage, one of the questions I had to ask was, "Do I want her to learn dropping the hammer with a live round in the chamber using the trigger/thumb method or using the decocker method?". Didn't beat myself up too much over this question.