Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SR22 accuracy and trigger questions

Maybe lazy, but; I have been perusing this forum for 30 minutes and not finding an answer. Can someone tell me how their SR22 shoots from a rest.

Any distance or ammo, but; hopefully, something like CCI std five shots groups at 25 yards. Basically like a serious american rifleman test. I know what the gun is, but: I feel this is an simple question and I really appreciate knowing how they perform. Or one or two maybe.

I dry fired single action one pull and the trigger seemed ok. Hard for me to judge like that. But; if I know anything about Ruger these days, it is every gun varies. And no doubt there is a lawyer induced magazine cutoff that contributes creep. Does anyone offer a trigger kit? Again, I understand what an SR22 is. So; it is simple question for a popular gun.

If this is already beaten to death, I apologize in advance. Then please do post a link.

thank you.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:23 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
interesting question...

I've shot my SR22s off a bench rest a couple times to verify the sights but never over 10-15 yards. Don't remember the group sizes just that they were centered. Having a short sight radius and small thick sights kinds of limits precise shooting particularly at 25 yards. It certainly isn't a target pistol. My Ruger Mk series pistol easily out shoots it every time.

As for the trigger, I did a quick google search of everyone who offers SR22 parts. Couldn't find any trigger kits offered.

Last edited by mac66; 06-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the SR22 trigger is fairly decent. Accuracy at 25 yards? For me it's kind of close to a shotgun pattern but then I have old eyes plus shaky hands and those fat sights really close together don't get it done for me anymore. I added a red dot sight and it made quite an improvement but nothing to be bragging about. I can keep my shots withing a 4 1/2-5" circle now using a rest . My 11 year old GG daughter can do better than that but she has sharp eyesight and her hands don't shake like grandpa's do. It's plinker, not anywhere close to a target pistol. I have a Mk IV that with a scope I can keep all my shots in less than an inch and a half at 25 yards off a good rest using CCI SV. The SR22 requires hi-V ammo to function reliably. At least mine does and it never fails except on a dud round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 07:00 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I understand. I have a Bertta B21 (tomcat?). Tiny little auto with more a groove than a sight. I tested that at 10 yards. I managed some +/- 1.4" groups with CCI std. I was in shock. For myself and for the gun. I do not have the eye sight or confidence to try that at 25. I can do the math and compare to guns that are 25 yards capable. If anyone has carefully shot at 10 yards, l would like to hear that result. FWIW, I tried other ammo types in the Beretta and the worse ammo were triple the group size!

I may go ahead and just toss the dice on one. I like the 3620 with 4.5" barrel. I do like the sights.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Walther 22. I guess the gun ruger copied? The trigger was the very hard. I hit 5 for 5 steel plates at 17 yds. Not a test, but; those sights were good too. Not adjustable, but very good. The trigger was a deal breaker. The so-called Walther is made by Smith Wesson!

Well, any test results appreciated. Call it curiosity.

Edit:

I found a "Truth About Guns" review. The author flat refuses to rest the gun or measure group sizes. He does post a target shot at 15 yards, I can GUESSTIMATE a 5 shot group at 1.5". There is a data point. Seems quite good.

Beyond that, all of you tube, all over the world wide web, not a single number posted! The American Rifleman did a review but no test. Normally that is a red flag. But, the gun seems good enough to merit a test. And popular enough. Go figure? Ok, if I get one, I will come back with numbers. I know I am not that good, but; any data is better than the current situation.

Last edited by fourbore; 06-10-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:03 AM
mac66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll be going up to my hunting property at the end of the week. Will be taking my SR22 as I always do. Heck, I'll take both of mine. I'll try to do some bench shooting with them at various distances and let you know what I come up with.

Last edited by mac66; 06-11-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 AM
mac66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I'm back. Took both my SR22s up to my range and shot them off the bench.

10 yards-Both shot similar groups all single action. The trigger on single action isn't too bad.

Best group I could do was this, with one called flyer...

As I noted before, the thick sights are a challenge.

At 15 yards the groups opened up to 5-6". I didn't go back any farther.

The SR22 is a plinker, not a target gun.

Last edited by mac66; 06-15-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:06 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you much. Good information and a good group for this type pistol.

Apparently Ruger is out of these in the 3620 until they run another batch. I know some dealers have them, but; I got a local guy who will take good care of me. Just a matter of time.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Tennc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience was bad. Took the brand new SR22 to a gathering of friends shooting at a man size target from 25 yards. I could barely keep the rounds on the paper - embarrassing. After several more tries I discovered the barrel was loose on the frame. The attachment screw was bottomed out. Returned it to Ruger and it came back fixed. Still not up to my expectations for accuracy. Traded it for an S&W Compact 22 which I like a lot more. I like all my other Rugers - just not this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 05:41 PM
frogwalking
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you guys want to target shoot, buy a Ruger Mk-4 . 3 or 2. The SR is a great practice gun for my 9mm Sigs. It never occurred to me tp try to target shoot with it. I have a Ruger holster for my Mk 2. "call it my pocket rifle. (I am quite impressed with how some of you guys have done with the little Sr.) Once again, it seems I really had nothing to say.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:44 PM
gobigkahuna
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased a 3.5" barreled SR-22 last Monday and took it to the local outdoor range as often as I could. Although I'm a decent shot with a rifle, I haven't shot a pistol since leaving the Navy 20 years ago. Just for the heck of it, I started off with a target at 25 yards and much to my surprise (and even with my poor old eyes) every single shot hit the 12"x12" target. I was seated and rested my hands on sand bags. I spent the next several hundred rounds adjusting the sights and honing my pistol shooting skills. I used a combination of ammo, but mostly CCI Mini Mags (solids and hollow points). I didn't see much difference between the two as far as accuracy goes.

I then practiced at 7, 5 and 3 yards for my CCW class and using standard velocity ammo (Remington and Anguila) had no problem keeping my shots inside a 3"x3" square.

I was so impressed with the SR22 that I went out and bought a spotting scope so I can give 50 yards a try. Until last week I was a die hard rifle guy. Now I'm having a blast shooting this little SR22. Heck, I might sell one of my rifles and get another pistol. This is addicting! (Note: I recently gave a Mk III a try and that convinced me that my next pistol purchase will be a Mk IV 22/45. The longer, heavier barrel really dampened recoil to almost nothing and the accuracy was simply outstanding.)

Last edited by gobigkahuna; 09-22-2019 at 05:49 PM.