Floppy Trigger - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 PM
korbendallas
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Floppy Trigger

Hello all. Second post (my first one didn't take for some reason) and new SR22 owner. I bought my SR22 in May and I did a field strip to clean it. I think I did something wrong in the assembly. When I went to the range today, I could not get it to fire. When I put the gun in battery, the trigger does not release the hammer. The trigger just flops around and there is no trigger tension or feeling of a trigger spring.

I looked on YouTube and there is a common complaint about the mag disconnect being the cause of this type of problem. I have 6 magazines, all bought new when I bought this gun new so I have no reason to believe it's worn out at this point. I think it's much more reasonable to assume the problem is me and my assembly techniques.

I did have a lot of trouble with the takedown lever. It was hard to get it out (like get a screwdriver and pry it up hard) and it was hard to get it to seat again. It's easier now so I thought that would be that. Since I had so much trouble getting the slide back on I am assuming it's me. Maybe I bent the trigger bar or lost a spring or something. Any help is appreciated.

I did get the gun to fire three times today but it was luck more than anything. Every once in a while, the trigger works like I think a trigger should. All told I have put 3 rounds down range through it so I'm a little lost. There can be factory failures in any gun so I guess it's possible it was bad from the factory. I tried to call Ruger today and they were closed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 AM
rr7135
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
korbendalles:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your SR22. Not sure my idea will help or not. When you put the slide back on was the trigger to the rear or forward? There is a trigger bar (part #8 on the owners manual schematic) (right/ejection port side) that moves forward/back when the trigger is pulled/released. The trigger should be forward when the slide is installed. It's possible that yours is not in the correct position or possibly bent or broken. Just a thought, maybe check it out. You might want to contact Ruger if all else fails, they will take care of you. Mine (one of the first produced) went back 3 times, 2 times for slide wear/gouging and once due to sloppy workmanship from the second trip back! Hope this solves your problem!!

Take care,
Bob
Old 07-06-2019, 09:30 AM
korbendallas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob,

The trigger was all the way to the rear. You hit the nail on the head with the trigger bar. I had noted the position of it and just couldn't figure out how to get it to move back further. After your suggestion, I did the field strip again and I noticed my problem. I was having trouble getting the slide back on. This caused me to cock the hammer back manually all the way moving the trigger bar forward (and the trigger to the rear). Instead of cocking the hammer back, I just left it alone and kinda forced the slide to go where it needed to go. All fixed. The magazine disconnect works as it should and when I have a magazine in the weapon the trigger operates as it should.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 09:43 AM
rr7135
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad it worked out for you!! Forgot to welcome you to the forum!!!! The take down lever does get easier after a few take downs. Enjoy your SR22!!

Take care,
Bob

Last edited by rr7135; 07-06-2019 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-06-2019, 11:01 AM
korbendallas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for the welcome. I think I have to go back to the range today now so enjoyment is the POD. Thanks again.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:02 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by korbendallas View Post
Bob,

The trigger was all the way to the rear. You hit the nail on the head with the trigger bar. I had noted the position of it and just couldn't figure out how to get it to move back further. After your suggestion, I did the field strip again and I noticed my problem. I was having trouble getting the slide back on. This caused me to cock the hammer back manually all the way moving the trigger bar forward (and the trigger to the rear). Instead of cocking the hammer back, I just left it alone and kinda forced the slide to go where it needed to go. All fixed. The magazine disconnect works as it should and when I have a magazine in the weapon the trigger operates as it should.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Glad you said what you did. I just forced the slide on after cleaning it the first time and it worked ok. After thinking about it I thought I should just cock the hammer to make it easier, but after what you just said I realized that would not be good.
Thanks