The Watering Hole 9-16-2019 - Page 28 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 PM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Hawkeye doesn't seem like much of challenge to hit a silo.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk
Easy for you to hit a Volvo.

House full of USDA retirees.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Rock N TN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
Got the annual fall motorcycle trip to TN in 2 weeks. Need to start getting ready. Some of the aforementioned crawling to do an oil change is in order.

Is that the Gold Wing rally? Will you be running the Dragon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 06:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
Easy for you to hit a Volvo.

House full of USDA retirees.
Tell them to go grade some beef.

Knew a volvo comment was coming. I lost your number when I lost my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Rock N TN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404tbang View Post
That was waaaaaay back there when the kids didn't run the school system..........the educators did. And the kids learned. And not just book learning, either. Life lessons. Sadly, those days seem to be gone.

Ahhh, the good old days when discipline was king and kids quickly learned proper behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
I'm wondering if those Berettas are .32? The surplus gun store keeps telling me they have those.

Yepper. They are.

I sometimes wonder if the Mayor or Don are descended from Gomez Adams.

Huh? No Comprendo.

I never cared for the M-16 look. Much prefer the M4.

Old School for me, all the way. Brass deflectors are for wimps and Southpaws. I ain't neither.

Al, I find that since I got fatter again I don't much care for crawling around on the floor to work on things, either. As for kneeling, I just can't do that. Skin on my knees can't take it.

I'm a sucker for anything in stainless with blue stock/grips. When I goes to the big gun store on the SE corner of the Columbus loop it's a struggle to get out of the store withoot a couple Kimbers.

Al, I recently had a visit with a different nurse practitioner. She suggested the propanolol might be worth the side effects even though it is contraindicated for my diabetes.

We have one of those ornamental pear trees. I haven't been near it since I saw ticks crawling around in the crotch 10 years ago.

I have to rethink the soft serve in the donuts. Maybe had regular ice cream? Maybe made frozen? They hot press them at the point of sale. I generally don't like going down into Cincy so don't expect an opportunity to sample in person.

Got the annual fall motorcycle trip to TN in 2 weeks. Need to start getting ready. Some of the aforementioned crawling to do an oil change is in order.
Ride Safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Hobo Jungle was across the street from the Winn Dixie I worked at during High School, some interesting characters to be sure, we kept stocked on cheap wine mostly for their benefit. While I was away at College my Freshman Year the City decided to cut down all the trees so no cover for them, no idea where they moved on to.

LGS had their Glock Days yesterday and today, took my old Gen. 1 Model 17 by, Glock guy said it was about the oldest he'd run across and obviously well used. They don't redo them at these things anymore but he made an exception and I now have all new springs and slide release. Ready to go another 80,000 rounds. Talked with a couple of folks who expressed an interest in buying my G17, it's not for sale, no gun I carried on duty more than a short while will ever be.

Serial no. is EC 138 US.
A guess at the markings on the box. 93rd A&D Bound Book. 75th Entry. Makes it easier to dispose of the firearm in the book after the sale, if you know right where to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
First time at range in 2 years. Gorgeous day. Cooper 22-250 and TAC20. 22-250 was all over the place. TAC20 dead nuts.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1569100648
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1569100683
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1569100708
Good seeing you at the range Dave.
Next thing you know, Splatz will have a shooting report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
That they are. Mine is VERY clean on the grip frame - not even a paint chip that I could see, but has some rust on the slide and the barrel exterior. Nothing a little bronze wool and cold-blue won't take care of, since the innards of the barrel and gun are very clean (chrome-lined barrel if I remember rightly) so should oughta shoot fine.

Hopefully.
I think that the frames are polished anodized aluminum. They could be painted, though.
All I have seen have been in real nice shape. This is the gun to buy right now, at this price, if you can muster ~$250.
I'm passing. I want no more brass chuckers. Especially .32's. That brass goes interdimensional immediately upon extraction.
It's no so common that I can pick it up at the range.

Packed for tomorrow.
  • .410 Cal Shotgun
  • Ruger Blackhawk .45cal, Convertable
  • Ruger Single Six Convertable

I need to practice with the shotgun. I really need to find a way to practice 'crossing' shots. I need to learn how to lead the bird. I'm watching some videos, but I learn best by 'doing'. I've no place to shoot skeet around here.

I'm bringing 50 .45 Colt and 50 .45 ACP

I'm bringing an antique box of Winchester 555 and a couple partial boxes of .22 Magnum.

It should be a nice journey.

Today I split/stacked a bunch of the wood from my pear tree for the outside pit. I really need to move around more, and perhaps eat a bit less.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was reading the colt thread. Have and interesting questions if it was not for wars how many firearms manufacturer would not exist today. And could any of us afford civilian guns because the cost per gun would probably triple?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
I need to practice with the shotgun. I really need to find a way to practice 'crossing' shots. I need to learn how to lead the bird. I'm watching some videos, but I learn best by 'doing'.
Yeah, it's one of those things but when it clicks it clicks and it will be like riding a bike after that.

Dinner guests scheduled to arrive in four minutes. You can tell me later if your ears were burning.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
Good seeing you at the range Dave.
Next thing you know, Splatz will have a shooting report.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deer Hunter
Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Frank Eagles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One set gone. One set spending the night.

Goodnight Al, Sophia, Rhody, Don, mdew, wook, Blackwolfe, Alum, GF, Sail, TD, Szumi, Splatz, Rock, Atonic, Ranger, COW, Wayne, M92, dlong, 404, JDWin, Hawkeye, GP, Mike, Brent, Phil, IHMS, jnyork, Gerald, Greggie, JV, Johnny, koonta, pans, Squirrel, 1917, RichJ, RonL, Carrij, arjay, CMR, rj, Rick, calibrian, LASTSHOT and all the rest.

Sleep tight
Old 09-22-2019, 12:47 AM
Frank Eagles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Knew a volvo comment was coming. I lost your number when I lost my phone.
Did you get my text?

Off to bed finally.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
Did you get my text?

Off to bed finally.
Yes

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 AM
M92pv4u
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been busy with vehicle maintenance this weekend. My suburban needs tires so I'm going to test fit some spare rims on it and probably purchase some mud terrain tires for it. Glad your brother is doing better Brent. I'll have to catch up later.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Good shooting, loading and whot's out at the stores reporting.

We've yet to even have a frost, tho Monday is the first official day of fall. And personally, I'll entertain no thots of Halloween or pumpkins prior to a frost, period. Thanksgiving and Christmas come well after that, for those not in the decorative 'party loop'. I do enjoy the Indian/native American corn w/its many coloured kernels in fall wreaths w/colourful leaves and acorns & such. I've never tried to eat any decorative corn and I doubt anyone growing it places a fish in the bottom of the hole before placing the kernel, which is whot we were taught as yutes that the native American Indians taught the Pilgrims that managed a short time later to kill them all one way or another, but mostly w/European diseases in New England anyway. I sense a cherry tree, ya know. Revisionist history ain't new, but today I'd wonder how many even know whot I'm talking about. The times, they are a changing, in too many places, but its just another old goat roper's stubbornness viewed from the porch that ain't sure whether to call it a spit pot, a spittoon or a cuspidor.. or just see if he could hit a dung beetle doing its thing in the dust past the board walk where the horses are tethered, but he'd said his piece and knew it was time to spit.. whotever he did w/it.
--

Plenty nice targets posted, dlong. was that at 100 yds. or? If the Cooper is wood stocked, there is always a possibility of warping affecting the bedding, even to the point of the forward portion of the stock making contact w/the barrel. Easy enough to check, assuming it was free floated to begin with. If it shot well before, the place to start is asking whot changed(?). Sometimes a scope goes bad or a reticle gets a minuscule loose somehow & that can drive ya about half crazy, so if everything else checks out, you may want to replace the scope w/a known good one & see if it makes any difference. Just some thots. Also I'd give the bbl. a good cleansing, JIC there may be some fouling present. You should be able to feel that w/a wet patch, but not always. A good rifle smith will have a bore scope, so there is that too. As Don said, good to see you at the range! Very nice equipment.
--

The winds and heat were not conducive to scores worthy of mention today. When playing tough games, some conditions make them close to impossible, not that it isn't fun trying. It is. And its much like shooting dove in difficult & windy conditions. You just have to live w/the fact that some birds can & do beat you. NBD to me. Its a hoot! But you won't find many others wishing to be humiliated in that particular fashion.
--

Had found that most, if not all of the usual bulk ammo suppliers were 'sold out' of the desirable Geco .32 auto/.32 ACP/7.65x17 Browning short ammo, which also happens to be among the lowest cost & IMHO best, so have ordered some brass to load for it. Have never had an issue going that route. Reloading is a satisfying activity for me and not being under duress [Ha!] makes it even more enjoyable. The loading bench is a quiet place.. unless I make a mistake or the bride has something on her mind. Agree that the finish on those Beretta Cheetah series pistols is highly polished, but not positive whot the finish is. They have used a similar, if not the same, finish on some of their semi-auto shotguns & I know from experience that it is highly durable. I'm fond of it, for just that reason.
--

Whot I'd said earlier about grilling a T-bone was a lie. Bride thawed a rather thick NY strip instead, so I did that. She also made a simple salad of coloured bell peppers & zucchini w/a splork of vinegar & olive oil stomped by questionable virgins, but it had a great taste all the same. I have no ID how many were involved, but it was said to be the first stomping, and by extra virgins, at that. Best leave it there, eh? Had a Hollywood ring toit, if ya know whot I mean, Vern.

--

Mighty good college football game between the Bulldogs & the Irish! Was nice to see honest & level refereeing throughout the game; I found that most refreshing. Thot it was a great game & that Notre Dame's coach could be sent to attend some etiquette training. The Bulldog's coach made him look like an ill tempered maroon by comparison, as did some of the referees.

I'll be watching the Indy cars tomorrow at Laguna Seca duke it out for the championship on NBC. Can ya say four wheel drifts? It should be a great race!
--

Anyone heard from pans or Ock recently? Hope both are doing well. And how about Ice & family?? Them too.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:31 AM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
More along the lines of the new approach to writing headlines. Back in the olde days, you know -- about three years ago -- headlines were meant to encapsulate the gist of the story. The idea was to give the reader enough info to know what the story was with the following text filling in the details should the reader be interested. Then along came the idea of click-bait.

Nowadays headlines are meant to pique the reader's curiosity, causing him to click into the story. That generates revenue for the site.

In the olde days the headline might read "Aerobic Exercise is Proven to Help Prevent Memory Loss." The article that followed would have the details of the study, etc. Nowadays the headline reads "This One Exercise Can Improve Your Memory."

"This One Resort is Rated Top by All Travel Sites" vs "Bahamas is Still the Most Popular Vacation Site."

Etc.

Or, on RFC it might be "Quick Question" or "Is This Common" or "Does Anybody Else...." with nothing in that blank or, we can't overlook, "Just Read This." I'm guessing the intent is to increase the number of people who will actually view the post instead of those who would skip by something like "Question about 22/45 triggers" or "Main Spring Broke -- Common Problem?" or "Does Anybody Else Shoot Stingers in Their Anschutz" or "Colt to Stop Making Rifles for the Civilian Market."

Don't get me started on the new breed of trolls.
Does that me that Al is King of the Click Baiters with his "Did You Know" thread?