The Watering Hole 9-16-2019 - Page 21 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Freeing up his sticky rear brake? Right arm cramping? Taking a leak?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Wayne Sihler
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ran out of playing cards to make motor sound. Will use fingers now.......
Old 09-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Frank Eagles
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Here my flutter brain neighbor burns wood and weed on warm evenings when the wind is just right to blow into our open windows. A whiff is ok but after that my sinuses plug up. His company chain smoke butts to add a bit of flavor toit. Most ex smokers do not like the smell, a lot.
No wonder Al is high all the time. Enjoying his neighbor's weed burning. Bet the whole neighborhood is high.

Morning. Another beautiful day. Carolina blue sky, cool and low humidity.

Nothing on agenda [I hope].

Have a good one.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Looking at the picture and trying to see what make/brand bicycle he is riding. Definately his bicycle is not a Peugeot.

Was getting that yesterday too along with RFC constantly changing to the mobile version and asking me if I like it. More like RFC has planted a virus in my iPhone. Wondering what the heck this constant changing back over too and inquiring if I want the mobile version on my iPhone.....is this a part of the NWO? The mobile version makes no sense as each thread has numerous participants therefore the mobile version is a tedious and obstructive way of conveying what was shared by others and sans any continuity.

News has said some of the areas in the Southern parts of our Country are getting back to back 500 year weather events; that's a lot of rainfall to deal with. Heading out to shoot LRS this morning, as once we begin to get any measureable rainfall access to the LRS will no longer be possible on a regular basis.

Came accross these folks (lokgrip.com) who make aftermarket grip panels out of the G10 material and for Walthers, Al.
Thanks TD, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Ran out of playing cards to make motor sound. Will use fingers now.......
Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Finally, some measurable rain this AM beginning around 5. The nose knew an hour earlier than that as there was significant interference w/its main function. Good thing that we are equipped w/an alternate air passage. Took me 'til near the time that the rain actually started to get the old nose to began functioning as it was intended to. Also good that I wasn't required to speak to anyone at the time because all I could have muttered is, 'my nșth ith topped up; sumpn' no werkin'. We've had about a tenth of an inch, so far. Staying in the 70's temp wise and the high 80's RH wise. Hard to smell the coffee this morning too, but am going to try another cup shortly anyway. More rain looks probable and we could use a good inch, but need whatever we get to come down steady and no gully washers. So far, it has.
--

I'm thinking that almost as a rule, ornamental trees are more susceptible to damage, be it wind, rain, snow or ice. I'm also thinking its due to their relative fast growth of canopy to trunk dia. and more open cell structure internally than many hardwoods, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:24 AM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Bicycle brand shown in the pic is a Legnano, I think.

Last edited by wookness; 09-20-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:40 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Sounds like you might have to take the cover off of the bed.
Nope. Gotta plan. Gonna bribe the garbage men with a case of Bud Lite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
My Son made me aware of Signore Bartali's secret training purposes several years ago, a man doing what he could in a dangerous time.

Mike, could it be he's trying to reduce his profile to lower wind resistance?

Don, we see lots of Flowering Pear trees split around here, winds in spring and summer, ice in winter...frankly I'd not have one but lots of folks seem to like them. At least until they split.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
Finally, some measurable rain this AM beginning around 5. The nose knew an hour earlier than that as there was significant interference w/its main function. Good thing that we are equipped w/an alternate air passage. Took me 'til near the time that the rain actually started to get the old nose to began functioning as it was intended to. Also good that I wasn't required to speak to anyone at the time because all I could have muttered is, 'my nșth ith topped up; sumpn' no werkin'. We've had about a tenth of an inch, so far. Staying in the 70's temp wise and the high 80's RH wise. Hard to smell the coffee this morning too, but am going to try another cup shortly anyway. More rain looks probable and we could use a good inch, but need whatever we get to come down steady and no gully washers. So far, it has.
--

I'm thinking that almost as a rule, ornamental trees are more susceptible to damage, be it wind, rain, snow or ice. I'm also thinking its due to their relative fast growth of canopy to trunk dia. and more open cell structure internally than many hardwoods, but I could be wrong.
Our last Pear Tree broke at the trunk, six inches above ground level. The wind made the top of the canopy bend over to the ground before the SNAP!!
That was during Katrina.

This one went because of the dreaded crotch rot. Nobody likes crotch rot.

We like the Pear Trees because they grow fast, provide a lot of shade, and lack a centralized trunk system which could cause structural damage in a hurricane.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:19 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Alas nothing but beer festivals with breweries sprouting up like your toadstools.
Alas and beer festival should never be used in the same sentence.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good work Don the logger. Fruit trees are desired by smokers in these parts, especially applewood and cherry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Alas and beer festival should never be used in the same sentence.
Gotcha!

Made some groceries and appmnts for veehicles. Ariens dealer guy will pick it up next week, or the week after. I may look elsewhere.

Still 63˚F air with lots of moisture laden hydroplaning TD.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:41 AM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Good work Don the logger. Fruit trees are desired by smokers in these parts, especially applewood and cherry.

Gotcha!

Made some groceries and appmnts for veehicles. Ariens dealer guy will pick it up next week, or the week after. I may look elsewhere.

Still 63˚F air with lots of moisture laden hydroplaning TD.
This is an ornamental Pear tree, aka Bradford Pear Tree. Not good for the smoker, but I'll save a good bit for fires in the chiminea this 'not summer'.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:45 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
This area has always had lots of orchards, vineyards, fruit and vegetable farms, and a few wineries. A lot of farmers have contracts with Welch's for their grapes. In the last decade or so number of small wineries, breweries, brew pubs, and small distilleries that have popped up is astronomical. There is a fair number of hops now being grown in the area.

There are so many of these new adult beverage producers in the area, I don't know how they all manage to stay in business. I suspect that a downturn in the economy or a slow tourist season or two will shake a few of them out of the business. I can't imagine many folks paying more for an 8 oz. glass of craft beer than a Martini when times are tough. I would think that folks would be more likely buy a six pack of Ole Skunk beer to drink at home on the cheap.

I know of one place now that doesn't seem to be very busy or have great beer. I know they have had some problems with their product as quality control is basically non existent. People I know that have had their beer said it wasn't up to par compared to other micro breweries in the area. Daddy bank rolled a few million for his kids to get it going. I suspect the place won't last unless they significantly change their brewing and business practices.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 PM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Another fine (read that as unrainy) in the NW, 58 degrees out.

Range day. I'll take the 3x restocked 455 Scout. It's looking attractive in the American stock, I'll see how it shoots.

Life is good!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 09-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I just had to share the great news on my brother Kent's latest PET scan for his stage 4 lymphoma cancer.

KENT: "Good news! Everything gone except tonsils, and doc thinks that may just be benign inflammation. I'm getting the 1st of 4 Rituxan treatments today. ENT will check tonsils."

Hopefully that means no more treatments after this set for a while. They say you cannot completely get over lymphoma, but with Non Hodgkin's they have been successful at knocking it back into remission with treatments. I'm wondering if they will just put him back on one maintenance dose of Rituxan every 9 to 12 months to keep it at bay. He and I both have been on Rituxan doses to keep our platelets in the normal range with our ITP issue, but he had been off the treatment for a few years because his immune system had weakened. There was not much improvement in that when he was off, so I don't think it was all the problem. Anyway, I just wanted to share the great report with those of you who have kept him in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you!!!

Brent
Old 09-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
KENT: "Good news! Everything gone except tonsils, and doc thinks that may just be benign inflammation. I'm getting the 1st of 4 Rituxan treatments today. ENT will check tonsils."