How do I clean the grittyness of my mod 94 action? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
annasophia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do I clean the grittyness of my mod 94 action?

I've had a Taurus model 96 for about 8 years now and it has always been very accurate and reliable...actually the trigger has gotten noticeably better over the years and thousands of rounds I've fired through it. I have been experiencing one reoccurring problem however, after about 400-500 rounds or so the action gets REALLY GRITTY and I have to actually take off the side plate and give it a good scrubbing. When this happens, it almost feels like something is binding the cylinder, but there's no crud doing this visibly anywhere. Here's the catch: When I open it up, there's nothing visibly dirty inside the lockwork either! I give it a spray down with some carburator cleaner and blow it out with compressed air and then put it back together and it seems to be good for another 400-500 rounds or so. I'm looking for a better way/system. Is the only real fix to simply use cleaner ammo? I'm usually just shooting cheap bulk ammo...but the confusing part is that there's nothing ever visibly dirty inside...it looks like it is still clean, so I'm wondering is there a better chemical or method I should be using to keep it smoother for longer? I have other revolvers but I tend to use this lightweight little fella' for a large part of my hiking....so it gets used the most. I've NEVER had to take any other revolver apart to this extreme for cleaning. Maybe I'm not doing as extensive of cleanings as I should be doing on revolvers...but I kind of thought that you didn't have to really take them apart for cleaning on any kind of regular basis. Am I wrong here? Any suggestions?

--Anna Sophia
Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM
>X<
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i always thought the only advantage of ANY revolver was that you never had to clean them. oops
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I think what is causing your gritty tirgger is carbon build up on the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone.

taurus' have a pretty close cylinder gap.

My model 990 is Stainless and it will get a gritty or higher trigger pull after about 350 rounds.

Next time this happens just clean the front of the cylinder and forcing cone and see if it goes away.

Since mine is SS I have found using Hoppes solvent and a piece of the green scoth brite pad works good. I get the untreated Scithbrite pads at Wallyworld in a 3 pack for less than $2, Cut into 2 inch squares works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 01:56 AM
annasophia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You were exactly right about the crud buildup on the front end of the cylinder! I feel kind of ditsy asking about this and then finding out it was something so simple that I just never noticed before. When I have done a full cleaning job on this revolver I have always cleaned it there where powder residue builds up...but never noticed that that was the culprit. Thanks for helping me figure this out. It was getting kind of frustrating there. I really like this little revolver and it shoots great when it's clean up front...I guess I just need to give it a scrub down a little more often.

--Anna Sophia
Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM
jodavis
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ideas for cleaning crud off Taurus

Check out this posting.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=122552
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 AM
coy1369

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey recumbent. Guess you finally got your 990 back. What did they end up doing to it? Took mine shooting saturday. Still doing fine.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coy1369 View Post
Hey recumbent. Guess you finally got your 990 back. What did they end up doing to it? Took mine shooting saturday. Still doing fine.
They sent me a new pistol. I had to send 4 faxes to the President of taurus to get the repair dept off their butts. The pistol sat for 3 weeks waiting for "Review".
After my 4th fax early on a Monday they shipped it that same afternoon.

The new one is perfect, shoots great and has the best trigger pull I have ever felt on a Taurus factory revolver.

They received my 990 on Nov. 12, 2009 and shipped the replacement to me on FeB 8, 2010.