The Watering Hole 9-16-2019 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Watering Hole 9-16-2019

Howdy folk's, and welcome to this week's edition of TWH!

Summer is slowly shrinking in the rear view mirror, and the weather is perfect for enjoying all kinds of outdoor activities! Get out there!

"So tell us again why you do that!"

Enjoy!

R

Last edited by Rhody; 09-15-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:29 AM
robs9
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So true. Camping with my son in the Boy Scouts during the winter. Night time it's like the whole world stops. With snow on the ground it's so Quiet.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.

Last edited by Szumi; 09-15-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 11:08 AM
wookness
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
In, for a minute, then out to worry some clays for a bit before it becomes too hot to enjoy doing so.

Will also take a look at progress on our rifle pistol ranges, now scheduled for completion by month's end, God willing and the creek don't rise. When doing construction/renovation/remodeling patience really is a virtue. It would be easy to become a geezer asking 'are we there yet? I'll refrain, of course, but its like waiting for Christmas.

Topped off the vehicles yesterday for $2.16/gal. for corned gas. Sense that it may be a while before I get to purchase it that inexpensively again anytime soon. Had bought it for close to $2/gal. recently! Where is that raven anyway(!)? I've heard that black bird before.

Chicken livers!
Old 09-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad for the flip.
I almost exhausted all of my knowledge of ducks answering that one duck question in the last TWH.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Rhody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Glad for the flip.
I almost exhausted all of my knowledge of ducks answering that one duck question in the last TWH.
Ha!

I will adjust the opening photos!

So a duck goes into the pharmacy and puts some Chapstick on the counter. The pharmacist says, "Will that be cash?" The duck replies, "Just put it on my bill!"

R

Last edited by Rhody; 09-15-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Ha!

I will adjust the opening photo!

So a duck goes into the pharmacy and puts some Chapstick on the counter. The pharmacist says, "Will that be cash?" The duck replies, "Just put it on my bill!"

R
You couldn't work a "waddle it be" into that?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Rhody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
You couldn't work a "waddle it be" into that?
That quacked me up! Shoulda thought of it!

New pic added!

R
Old 09-15-2019, 11:18 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In...

A rainy day here at the ranch.

When it lets up I've gotta go and make a milk run (got everything but, yesterday).

Life is good!

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol

Last edited by COW 54; 09-15-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:44 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I can't get on the first page....I just won't post. Morning folks. 1917
Old 09-15-2019, 12:05 PM
bs812

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Moving into my favorite time of the year here in the midwest
Old 09-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man I worked all summer, all day, all weeks. Sigh... Well winter is the best eight months of the year here.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:56 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The trouble with posting "must-read" stuff late in the TWH is that it might get missed or not read by everyone for their own enlightenment.

Wook asks:
Sounds like a cool acquisition, GF! The new Hornet. I was envious of the good varmint shooting opportunities at ground hogs that existed from the Ohio valley thru New England and read all that I could on the subject as a young man. Rock chucks in the NW too. Closest P-dog towns I had access to were just out of Farmers Valley, TX. First .22 Hornet I had was a Savage 340(?) w/a K-4 on it. It wasn't very accurate, but the magic was sometimes present in its cone of wobble. Later, I had a custom stocked model 43 Winchester that drove me batty trying to get it to shoot tight groups, it never did or said another way, I didn't. Both of those rifles long gone and replaced w/ hornets that will shoot. Do you eat any of the ground hogs taken? I've heard they are good table fare, but never had the opportunity to verify that. Of course there are folks that will tell you possum is too, but my experience there says otherwise. I think you could prolly serve a small multitude on a single possum; I never noticed anyone going for seconds. Who's barrel is in your low-wall? Will be interested in a shooting report when you get time.

And I answer:
Yes it is a cool acquisition, IMHO. I've always admired them, especially for the wood that Browning used to put on them. This one has what I'd rate their middle of the road figure from that period (1995). I've seen some wildly beautiful stocks on these, but also some fairly plain ones, and that high gloss finish does nothing for plain wood. I'll be sure to do a range report after the first outing (if it turns out well ). P.S. It's all factory, so it has whatever barrel brand Browning used for these. I'll try to get a picture up once I decide which of about 7 scope choices I decide on.

I once had a Win. M43 in 22 Hornet many years ago and it too was a mediocre shooter at best. I've never really been a fan and fail to understand the fascination and subsequent pricing in relation to this model.
Some of those Sav. 340s were very accurate by all accounts. My brother once had one in 225 Win. , but then, he likes French military rifles too.

I've never partaken of woodchuck/groundhog, but know those who have. Fans of Foxfire back in the day.
Unless you get all the brown fat out ( and there are various little pockets and nodules of it), it will taste like a soup made of old socks and worn out shoes. I can vouch for beaver being very tasty, but they don't hibernate and have that nasty brown fat.

In other news, I decided to head up to Waterloo for the last silhouette shoot of the season. I only went because I really wanted to try out the Springfield 1922M2 with iron sights. That, and otherwise I'd have had to go with the spousal unit up to dog sit the daughter's boyfriend's dog while he was having fun somewhere and the daughter was in NYC for a girls getaway. Don't get me started. . . . .

Anyway, I ended up with a herky-jerky 22. I promised myself I'd be happy with anything from 20 or above, so

Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Headed north for a 55th class reunion this coming Friday-Saturday. Traded in air conditioning for blankets. Nice cool refreshing New England fall weather. Looking forward to seeing how old everyone else has gotten!
Old 09-15-2019, 01:22 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In on a page, yet to be determined.

Home from the range. Plates fell. Not much to tell.

On the ride home, I noticed a political sign littering a public neutral ground, (median for y'all Yankees) I pulled over and picked up the offending litter. It's in my garbage can now.
The law says; "No signs may be placed upon a public street, public rights-of-way, or sidewalks, or upon any utility pole, traffic sign, public building or any other public property within the City."

Nearby, on a fence at a shopping center there is another huge sign. I just checked the ordinance, and no sign over 6 Sq Ft may be displayed. I'll go cut that one down too.
Fighting garbage, one politician at a time.

Watching Football. Dallas defense looks good, but don't tell Lastshot I said that. Go Redskins!!!!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Closed Thread