Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgill0056 View Post
What would you choose to do? Have your factory ruger reciever and bolt reworked by cpc, build a kidd upper, or buy a tactical solutions x ring receiver?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
It would help immensely if we knew what your purpose was going to be for this aftermarket 10/22, so we could offer less generic replies.

In as much as utilizing top shelf parts generates oooohs and aaaahs of praise in response to images that folks post of their creations on the internet, in my experience you don't have to go top shelf with components to build yourself a reliable and accurate 10/22.

When I set out on a quest to build a 10/22 Charger clone the first thing I did was decide what purpose it was going to fulfill; in my case it was going to be a suppressor host and fun close range plinker. From there I was able to easily determine how much I thought I should spend on each individual component or assembly without going overboard, but still allow myself a decent pistol.

I arrived at a Brownells BRN-22R railed receiver, Ruger BX-Trigger assembly, Ruger OEM bolt/recoil assembly/pins/buffer, a KIDD 6" blued/threaded barrel (the single most expensive part of this build), a Nodak Spud NDS-23 band type front sight (that accepts AR sight posts), a used OEM polymer Charger stock that I found for $20 at a local gunshow, an inexpensive UTG adjustable rear sight (that's actually pretty nice considering it's not an MBUS Pro), a Troy Battle Ax pistol grip, and lastly Ruger BX-15 & 25 mags.

Are it's parts made of stainless steel or are they a fancy anodized color? No. Did I send out the receiver to be blueprinted? No. Do the components sit in a $255 aluminum chassis system? No. Is the bolt engraved with a scalloped design? No. Does it consist of a long laundry list of components? No. Does it work reliably and have good accuracy? Yes

We're all free to spend our money as we see fit, but it's been my observation that folks seem to think that simply throwing high dollar parts together equates to satisfaction, when it's simply not always the case; I've read numerous times in the not so distant past where folks had to send their high dollar receivers, barrels, or other components back to KIDD, Tactical Innovations, etc. for "adjustment". Well, I don't have much money sunk into my clone but it's simple, accurate, and thusfar reliable...and that's worth more to me than having a high dollar name engraved in it's receiver.

Proceed at your own peril (LOL)

Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is the most entertainment I've had all day.

Op should buy a brand new Ruger 10/22, fill out the 4473, and swap receivers, then sell the rifle with the receiver "not in his name".
Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post

I arrived at a Brownells BRN-22R railed receiver, Ruger BX-Trigger assembly, Ruger OEM bolt/recoil assembly/pins/buffer, a KIDD 6" blued/threaded barrel (the single most expensive part of this build), a Nodak Spud NDS-23 band type front sight (that accepts AR sight posts), a used OEM polymer Charger stock that I found for $20 at a local gunshow, an inexpensive UTG adjustable rear sight (that's actually pretty nice considering it's not an MBUS Pro), a Troy Battle Ax pistol grip, and lastly Ruger BX-15 & 25 mags.

We're all free to spend our money as we see fit, but it's been my observation that folks seem to think that simply throwing high dollar parts together equates to satisfaction, when it's simply not always the case; I've read numerous times in the not so distant past where folks had to send their high dollar receivers, barrels, or other components back to KIDD, Tactical Innovations, etc. for "adjustment". Well, I don't have much money sunk into my clone but it's simple, accurate, and thusfar reliable...and that's worth more to me than having a high dollar name engraved in it's receiver.

Proceed at your own peril (LOL)
ya' know now that I think about it, I've read a few threads here about people having issues with the fit and finish of the Brownells receivers, and KIDD barrels too

truth be told, no matter who's name is on it, the parts for these things are made by humans, and as such mistakes will be made occasionally
Old 09-19-2020, 11:56 AM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
ya' know now that I think about it, I've read a few threads here about people having issues with the fit and finish of the Brownells receivers, and KIDD barrels too

truth be told, no matter who's name is on it, the parts for these things are made by humans, and as such mistakes will be made occasionally
Actually, they're made by machines, and generally speaking, a CNC mill should not be making mistakes. The Brownells 10/22 receiver is made by Azimuth Technologies, which doesn't seem to be a real company. Lol. Their receivers are over $200, which might make the Brownells, at half the price, look like a bargain. Except no one seems to be able to get a response from Azimuth, and I have yet to meet anyone, even online, who owns one of their receivers.

As far as the receiver, I have outlined the bolt fitment issue in my review, here. I'd also like to meet the person that wrote the spec for the receiver. Normally, putting a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver would seem like a good idea. But they did that on the takedown receiver as well, which is beyond perplexing. I think the Brownells is worth the $100 or so they ask for them, but certainly not more.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
Actually, they're made by machines, and generally speaking, a CNC mill should not be making mistakes. The Brownells 10/22 receiver is made by Azimuth Technologies, which doesn't seem to be a real company. Lol. Their receivers are over $200, which might make the Brownells, at half the price, look like a bargain. Except no one seems to be able to get a response from Azimuth, and I have yet to meet anyone, even online, who owns one of their receivers.

As far as the receiver, I have outlined the bolt fitment issue in my review, here. I'd also like to meet the person that wrote the spec for the receiver. Normally, putting a cleaning hole in the back of the receiver would seem like a good idea. But they did that on the takedown receiver as well, which is beyond perplexing. I think the Brownells is worth the $100 or so they ask for them, but certainly not more.
actually they're made by machines that are programmed by humans
Old 09-19-2020, 11:52 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
That depends on where you live. I bought a handgun off a friend a few years back. We did the transfer online. About 2 years after that my friend got in a verbal argument in a store and the person happened to notice he had a handgun holstered on his right hip. Long story short charges were filed and local LE showed up at his house with a list of every single firearm that he owned and told him he had to hand them all over. Then they came to my house and wanted the firearm that I had bought off him even though it was done legally 2 years earlier. They also had a list of every firearm that I owned, which was pretty substantial.
Not that I doubt you but https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NxVYET4li6ANGz

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XHavpP18cewne2

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ENSIdn1v-d4mkT
I read the first link and the last one. The first one basically says that they don't keep records of who owns what firearms but that they can find out if they want to. This was the last sentence of that article. " It does have transaction data for guns sold or transferred under Massachusetts laws related to licensing". The last article you linked to pretty much just says that they do know who owns what firearms by the serial numbers. I don't know how they know or how long they've been doing this in MA. But I do know for a fact that they can obtain a list of every firearm a person in MA owns. The only exception is if the firearm was purchased before a certain date. Not sure exactly what that date is but I'm thinking anything purchased before around like 2002 they don't have records for. MA also recently passed what they call the "red flag law" which allows police to confiscate a person's firearms without any due process. All it takes is for someone to call the police and tell them they think you are a danger to yourself or someone else. It doesn't even have to be someone you know and they can do it anonymously. When that happens you get all your firearms taken from the police without. Then you have to hire a lawyer and get a court date to try and prove yourself innocent. Not sure how this law was passed seeing as it is completely unconstitutional, but that's what happens when you live in an anti 2A state with an AG who thinks they are allowed to make their own laws.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I read the first link and the last one. The first one basically says that they don't keep records of who owns what firearms but that they can find out if they want to. This was the last sentence of that article. " It does have transaction data for guns sold or transferred under Massachusetts laws related to licensing". The last article you linked to pretty much just says that they do know who owns what firearms by the serial numbers. I don't know how they know or how long they've been doing this in MA. But I do know for a fact that they can obtain a list of every firearm a person in MA owns. The only exception is if the firearm was purchased before a certain date. Not sure exactly what that date is but I'm thinking anything purchased before around like 2002 they don't have records for. MA also recently passed what they call the "red flag law" which allows police to confiscate a person's firearms without any due process. All it takes is for someone to call the police and tell them they think you are a danger to yourself or someone else. It doesn't even have to be someone you know and they can do it anonymously. When that happens you get all your firearms taken from the police without. Then you have to hire a lawyer and get a court date to try and prove yourself innocent. Not sure how this law was passed seeing as it is completely unconstitutional, but that's what happens when you live in an anti 2A state with an AG who thinks they are allowed to make their own laws.
^^^^ this guy actually knows what he's talking about.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the last thing I have to say. Only you can choose to believe what you want to.. Gifford law center explains things rather well.

SUMMARY OF FEDERAL LAW

Licensed firearms dealers are required to maintain records of the acquisition and sale of firearms for at least 20 years.11%The dealer must record, ďin bound form,Ē the purchase or other acquisition of a firearm no later than the close of the next business day following the purchase or acquisition.12%The dealer must similarly record the sale or other disposition of a firearm not later than seven days following the date of such transaction and retain Form 4473, the Firearms Transaction Record.13%When a firearms business is discontinued, these records are delivered to the successor or, if none exists, to the Attorney General.14

Just because there is no centralized FEDERAL database of all gun owners, information about gun sales and the purchaser are maintained by the ffl holder and the state government as required by federal law.

What this means is, if in any crime or other situation (red flag law) that involves a firearm, the LEO must first contact the manufacturer and work down the line to the ffl that sold said firearm. They then contact the ffl, who is required to maintain the information of firearms they sell, and find out who owns said firearm/s. Rather lengthy process. I am close family friends with a few detectives in local and state jurisdictions and they've told me about several crazy closed cases. If they want to find out what guns you own it can be done. So long as it was purchased from an ffl in the past 20 years. So here's a scenario... If a certain individual does a serious crime and happens to have this firearm registered to them. LE will try, if court ordered and legal in the state, to seize said person's firearms only to find this one missing. Said missing firearm gets put on a list and local ffl/le are notified. I go to sell it down the road, someone tries to run the serial number, and bam im neck deep in lawyer BS. No thank you.

Now, normally, I would listen to anyone's recommendation on products. Especially since I'm building a type of fire arm I've never cared to until now. And generally I'm extremely easy to get along with. Ive been perusing forums since the early 90's. But I don't care for outwardly rude people and especially their opinions and beliefs.

Last edited by jgill0056; 09-20-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:02 PM
Grayrock

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
but it bugs me that I have a rifle not in my name.
I'd be happy it was not in my name, but I wear a small tinfoil hat on occasion

I think the best suggestion I've seen was to buy a 10-22 and swap receivers, then sell it.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayrock View Post
I'd be happy it was not in my name, but I wear a small tinfoil hat on occasion

I think the best suggestion I've seen was to buy a 10-22 and swap receivers, then sell it.
That or kidd is the consensus. Kidd is probably what ill end up with since I like their triggers. Just dont like their charging handle. Personally, with all the issues I've had with cops, lawyers, and game wardens, id prefer to be able to prove a firearm is mine if things go sideways. Ive had to prove it to a game warden before and a simple picture of a receiver with serial number doesn't prove its yours. I appreciate all the people who have suggested products and why. Thats what this thread was for.

Old 09-20-2020, 02:18 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Okay, thatís enough bickering over completely irrelevant garbage that had nothing to do with the info the OP was seeking.

Please- for future reference, letís try to keep threads on topic, free of uninformed speculation, accusations & insults. It gets us nowhere and provides nothing useful for folks seeking free exchange of information, which is what we are supposed to be here for.

Iím assuming by his last post, the OP did make a choice, so Iím closing this one.

Oh- and Iíd vote +1 for Kidd. I have had Rugers plus 5 aftermarket brands. I now have 5 Kidds in my safe.

Respectfully,

DrGunner