Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 AM
cy10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Info requested on Savage Anschutz Model Mark 10A

Hey guys, i'm new here but have been lurking and reading like a son of a gun. This site is incredible.

Anyway, i'm no stranger to rimfire shooting. On to the point... I'm looking to start getting into target and silhouette shooting as a hobby. I've been looking at a used Savage Anschutz Model Mark 10A that is a pretty good deal. I've not been able to get some recommendations on this, as there doesn't seem to be many knowledgeable people on these annies locally. Would this model be a good candidate for what i'm looking to do? Kind of hard to find info on these, is this a *******ized Anschutz, made by Savage, or just imported by Savage? As I've seen strictly Anschutz rifles out there.

I'd appreciate any info you guys could pass along.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Welcome abaord.That's a real Annie,probably from 30+ years ago,imported by Savage,not built by Savage.I believe that it was also their lowest price gun of it's type at the time.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 AM
cy10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thnx Camster.

I'm looking for a purely entry-level rifle for mostly target shooting. Probably won't do much, if any modifications initially. Just want to get my feet wet. I was also looking at CZ 452's varmint model. But everyone seems to be ga-ga over the Annies.

Do these mark 10's have any inherent problems, or quirks that would not make it a good choice for a cheap entry level target rifle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I'm really not that well acquainted with them.I don't think much in the way of modifications is do-able.I'm sure that you will have fun with it,get your money's worth,though I also inclined to say that perhaps a 64 action gun,a superior gun, might be found for just a few dollars more.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Crow Feather
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sold a few Model 10s back in the early '70s. Whether or not you find it satisfactory depends on the level of sophistication you're looking for in refinements. You won't find any problem with accuracy, though. They had the Savage/Anschutz name on the action and if I remember correctly it was because of some type of import tax regulations at the time. If it had an American manufacturer's name on it there was no import tax, or something like that, provided it was ordered as parts and assembled here. The assembly requirement was satisfied by having to put the barreled action in the stock. Anyway, that's the way I remember it. I bought a model 54 Sporter in 1973 and kept it until just a couple of months ago. It saw a lot of range time and killed tons of squirrels. I also had what I believe I remember as a model 1722. That and the 54 Sporter were absolutely identical but the 1722 only had the Anschutz name on it. The only difference was that the 1722 was not meant for export to the U.S. It was brought back by a GI who bought it in the PX in Germany. So, if the Model 10 is in good shape you can forget your worries about accuracy. We never had a complaint about one.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 PM
sharpessword
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Mark 10's are Accurate.

12-13-08

Cy:

You should find that your Mark 10 is very accurate. Every one I have seen has been at tack driver, with the right ammo.

Mark 10's were made by Anschutz. Savage Arms was the importer to the USA. There was a period of time when most Anschutz rifles that came into the USA for retail sales, came via their sole import contract with Savage Arms.

Triggers on the Mark 10's generally only adjust safely downward to a bit over one pound of trigger pull. Since you need a 2 pound trigger pull for NRA silhouette matches anyway, adjust your Mark 10 trigger to 2 lbs. and you will be just fine for the silhouette game.

Enjoy your Mark 10 and Merry Christmas.

Dave