Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Leturrip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Seeking 1422 bedding advice

Dear Bedding Gurus, may I have the benefit of you counsel?
I have a 1422 that I would like to bed because it throws random shots vertically out of the group.
There does not appear to be much info on this on line, but I did find this useful topic.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=597092
I tend to favour the idea of 2-point bedding, but in this rifle, unlike those discussed in the above topic, where the front action screw is at the front of the action, in this case, the rear action screw is behind the trigger and the front action screw is between the magazine and the trigger half way along the action, while the recoil lug is at the front of the action al la Rem 700. See this photo. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajx1b1pU5JOKvgo3yQZwWU8Ec4hx
That would mean if I bedded at the two action screws, about half the action would be in front of the front bedding point, adding to the cantilever length, which seems undesirable. On the other hand, if I bed at the action screws and the recoil lug the possibility of bridging or hogging at the centre point recurs.
The most desirable options appear to be either: -
1. Bed full length the action and perhaps an 1” or so of barrel or
2. 3 point bed at rear screw, front screw and recoil lug
Both seem to be less than ideal compromises.
What has been found to work for this action configuration?
Many thanks for any light you may be able to shed on my delemma.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leturrip View Post
Dear Bedding Gurus, may I have the benefit of you counsel?
I have a 1422 that I would like to bed because it throws random shots vertically out of the group.
There does not appear to be much info on this on line, but I did find this useful topic.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=597092
I tend to favour the idea of 2-point bedding, but in this rifle, unlike those discussed in the above topic, where the front action screw is at the front of the action, in this case, the rear action screw is behind the trigger and the front action screw is between the magazine and the trigger half way along the action, while the recoil lug is at the front of the action al la Rem 700. See this photo. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajx1b1pU5JOKvgo3yQZwWU8Ec4hx
That would mean if I bedded at the two action screws, about half the action would be in front of the front bedding point, adding to the cantilever length, which seems undesirable. On the other hand, if I bed at the action screws and the recoil lug the possibility of bridging or hogging at the centre point recurs.
The most desirable options appear to be either: -
1. Bed full length the action and perhaps an 1Ē or so of barrel or
2. 3 point bed at rear screw, front screw and recoil lug
Both seem to be less than ideal compromises.
What has been found to work for this action configuration?
Many thanks for any light you may be able to shed on my delemma.
From my experience, bed from the recoil lug back. another thing with action screw layout such as what you have, it is best to torque the rear screw about 40% less than the front. if I can find them I will post pictures of a Savage 112 I did. similar setup as your rifle

Lee
Old 09-23-2019, 09:58 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I believe you should bed the entire action. If desired, the first inch or so forward is often done (just be sure to leave the front, sides and bottom of the recoil lug without contact. My 54.18 MSR is bedded in this manner in a McMillan silhouette stock and it has been perfect. The only potential issue with the wood stock, is movement of the wood with atmospheric changes, which might offer some support for a two point bedding with the rest free. This can be done in a rimfire where recoil isn't much of a factor, but it's tedious and, IMO not worth the effort. I would do the entire action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Leturrip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the advice. I was tending toward favouring full length bedding. On the subject of torque which is a proxy for clamping force, I had been contemplating the action screws and noted the front screw is M6x0.75 which is a fine thread but the rear screw is M5x0.8 which is a standard thread. I wonder if Anschutz by adopting that was trying to impose a lesser clamping force on the rear which is what would happen if the same torque was applied to both. That would align with your suggestion; however it is counter intuitive to me because I see the cantilever of the floated barrel as producing a downward reaction at the rear and an upward reaction at the front screw.
I've previously tried with more torque in the rear without noticing much difference, but have not tried less, so will try maybe 3Nm front and 1.8 rear based on your suggestion. Thanks again for sharing your experience with a similar set up.
Cheers
B.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Leturrip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks elh0102. You've confirmed my current thinking. At this stage my plan is to full length bed with perhaps an inch in front of the recoil lug. 3 point bedding does not make sense to me and 2 point does make sense for this particular action.
Cheers
B.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leturrip View Post
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the advice. I was tending toward favouring full length bedding. On the subject of torque which is a proxy for clamping force, I had been contemplating the action screws and noted the front screw is M6x0.75 which is a fine thread but the rear screw is M5x0.8 which is a standard thread. I wonder if Anschutz by adopting that was trying to impose a lesser clamping force on the rear which is what would happen if the same torque was applied to both. That would align with your suggestion; however it is counter intuitive to me because I see the cantilever of the floated barrel as producing a downward reaction at the rear and an upward reaction at the front screw.
I've previously tried with more torque in the rear without noticing much difference, but have not tried less, so will try maybe 3Nm front and 1.8 rear based on your suggestion. Thanks again for sharing your experience with a similar set up.
Cheers
B.
Here is the pillar setup on the Savage 112 notice the square block for the front pillar, same for the rear pillar. I believe in having a bigger and wider support over traditional round pillars. especially when you have a cutout in the action for a magazine. a layer of tape was placed on the recoil lug so no stress would be on it after bedding with devcon, gave just enough of a air gap.

Lee
Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Leturrip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi again Hi-NV Shooter.
Thanks for the photos. I like your thinking with the big pillars. One thing that has always puzzled me on the theory of pillar bedding is that in seeking stability people often effectively transfer the bedding surface from a large surface on the action to a much smaller surface on the pillars. Perhaps the change from horizontal to vertical has an advantage.
It looks as though the front action screw is much further forward on the Savage.
Cheers. I'm off to the shed. :-)
B.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:46 AM
Leturrip

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is done! The (nervous) wait begins. Thanks for being my sounding board. :-)
B.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:34 PM
7sleeper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bedded mine in front and back with a metall epoxy. I prefer to remove a little more material than typically recomended.