Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lock for my Mossberg.

I have Master trigger locks but I don't feel they are that good since I saw a woman showing how a pistol could still be fired with a good trigger lock in place. I think the cable locks would work better since they block the bolt so the rifle operation is defeated. I can't fit a gun safe in my place and don't want to advertise that I have something that is of value to people who come to service things or other reasons. The rifle is an old Mossberg 144LSA with a scope so it can take some playing around to get the cable through the receiver and down through the magazine opening. I keep the locked rifle hidden away. I am retired and at home most of the time but I do have grandchildren and one is a boy and we all know how boys are curious. Just wanted some recommendations on a good lock for a Mossberg. Ammo is kept in a locked steel tool box in another part of the house.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM
1dogdown
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
You should be able to run the cable lock through in a matter of seconds.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Try putting the cable up through the mag well to see if that is easier. Just a thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take the Bolt out and store it in a different area of the house.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:55 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
Take the Bolt out and store it in a different area of the house.

Yeah Put it in that locked ammo box!

Last edited by rosscoe; 09-17-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:14 AM
luna3
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup, remove the bolt, simple.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a cable lock I originally got with a 10/22 and ran the tip up through the magwell and it worked out good. Problem with going down through the bolt opening is the type of scope mount and scope kind of blocks the ejection port enough to make it difficult.

Won't try putting the bolt in some other part of the house -- I'm old and forgetful and my forgetfulness already causes me great trouble. I could lock the bolt in the steel tool box I keep the 22 ammo in. Problem with the cable lock is I have to put the magazine someplace but my the ammo box is a good fix. Took me forever to find that magazine the last time I put it in a place I would surely remember. Getting old is hell.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
One more for remove the bolt and store separately.... but for goodness sake remember where you put it!

I've seen plenty of nice rifles for sale on auction, garage sales, flea markets, and various gunshops that were in fantastic shape "but grandpa kept the bolts hidden and we don't know where and he died ..."
Old 09-21-2019, 10:53 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
I've seen plenty of nice rifles for sale on auction, garage sales, flea markets, and various gunshops that were in fantastic shape "but grandpa kept the bolts hidden and we don't know where and he died ..."
This. Sad but true.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:13 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Bolt Story

I was helping an older neighbour (being born in the first half of the last century it is not often I can say that any more) get ready to move. There was also another fellow helping. We were cleaning out the fourth bay of his shop when a small box was produced from an upper half floor. The older fellow looked at it and said it was some of his Mothers make-up and was about to throw it into the garbage can behind him. But instead he threw it to the other fellow (who was on the ladder) and said to take it to his ex-wife. Well he didn't want anything to do with it so threw it to me (for my wife). I tried to throw it into the garbage can at my end of the bay. They caught and told me to TAKE IT HOME so I put it in my vehicle.

Later (a couple of weeks) the older neighbour showed me some rifles he wanted to sell but they had no bolts, a Sako Finbear, 2 Brnos and a custom target rifle. The story was that he had taken the bolts out for safety and gave them to a friend for safe keeping. That friend had his house broken into and the culprit claimed to have thrown them in a river, The price he offered them to me was such that I figured if I could just find one bolt I would break even. He had tried selling to others but no one wanted to buy them with out bolts.

Now back to the box of make-up. I had stored that and other stuff over winter in a plastic shelter (sold for storage). It was clean up time as my neighbour was now long gone and wouldn't see what I threw out. My wife was just going by when I came to the make-up box. I asked her to check if any of it was for her. She looked and said "No but what are he hinges for?" Turned out the "hinges" were the bolts to the rifle. That makes 4 times they were headed for the garbage and didn't make it!

Long story I know but hope you enjoyed the read. - Bill
Old 09-26-2019, 07:35 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am freaking old and can't find stuff that I was sure I put in a place I would remember. Maybe I need to rethink taking the bolt out and locking it in a tool box. I am still looking for a set of small cast iron silhouette targets for 22 practice similar to the long range black powder cartridge shooting but using a 22lr rifle. A really nice set of targets in the original box that was never used and I put them away for safe keeping -- maybe to darn safe since I can't find them. Getting old is not funny.