Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

PCP Attraction

5K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  fpgt72 
#1 ·
I'm getting the itch to try a PCP with prices coming down. I've seen some reviews on the Gauntlet by Umarex and the Diana Stormrider and a few other cheap PCPs like the single shot Benjamin that are unregulated but I'm still on the fence. I have an old oxygen tank my dad used for welding. Anybody know what safe pressures would be for an old green oxygen tank? I'm not sure if this would be a good tank to use with a new pcp airgun. Also are there any other regulated PCPs you have heard of to compete with the gauntlet? Please share your thoughts on PCPs. Thanks, rc.

#2 ·
For a cheap PCP I would go with a Beeman Chief and an ebay $50 hand pump. My son has a Chief and compared to my Benjamin Discovery the fit, finish, trigger and accuracy are much better. Higher shot count as well.
No experience in the matter but I doubt that anyone would fill an oxygen tank for you or if it would be safe.

#19 ·
For a cheap PCP I would go with a Beeman Chief and an ebay $50 hand pump. ...
I see this kind of suggestion frequently, and it is not a bad way to go. However, if you have your own pump, manual or powered, you must use a high quality filter and moisture eliminator. If you use your own pump without these items, you will eventually have trouble with your PCP, much sooner than than those fed clean dry air. Moisture and dust from the atmosphere are probably the greatest enemy of PCPs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It looks to me like an O2 tank will have a working pressure of 2200psi (too low for PCP). I can't imagine you could talk anyone into filling an oxygen tank with compressed air (obviously NOT with O2) and getting it hydroed and finding fittings things get really complicated and potentially really dangerous.
If filled with a pump water condensate is a real concern without a dehydration filter. The only good solution to filling PCPs is $$$.

#4 ·
A "quality" PCP will change the way you enjoy airgunning. I haven't read a LOT of owners reviews on the lower priced guns mentioned, but a few that I have seen say they are well worth the cost and perform as they should.
That said....Still,, don't lose sight of the old adage...you get what you pay for. These guns and pumps are priced as they are for a reason, Chinese mass produced with lesser quality parts.:(

#6 ·
Only 4 posts before the snobbery of the PCP group came out...quicker then expected.
Their little world is going to come undone if that umerex is a good gun....how can you justify the $1,700 FX bobcat....no worries they will find a way.

Chief is a 2000lb gun IIRC, but I would not be a real fan of that tank. A hand pump is not too painful on a 2000 gun.

It will change the way you think of air guns, before really good guns are north of a grand.

But be aware...a hand pump gets old quick, a trip to the dive shop is a pain, boost pumps are....well getting there, and a HPA pump is over a grand also....this is not a cheap hobby if you want PCP....keep all that in mind.

IMHO all these new guns built around the QB frame are going to do a great thing, and just try to find someone say a bad thing about the QB series of rifles....well someone that is not trying to defend his multi thousand $$$ "investment" in high end air rifles. I don't own a Chief yet....but it is on the way, reviews I have seen say nothing but good things....I am excited, if it shoots half a well as my other QB's I will be a happy camber.... This is the first step in PCP for us deplorables.

#9 ·
PCP

I got into airguns a few years ago when moving to a smaller town full of squirrels and also having a nice large basement to shoot in. At first I got springers, but gradually drifted to the pcp rifles. My springers are an R1 carbine in a .20, a FWB 124D in .177 and an Air Arms pro sport in .22 which has a spectacular walnut stock. They shoot very well, especially the FWB, which are known for their barrels. Then along came the PCP`s and my eyes were opened. A Daystate Regal XL in .22, a Daystate Wolverine B hi-lite in .22 and a very nice older FX Tarantula sport in .22. All the pcp`s are suppressed very well and accuracy with jsb pellets is amazing. At 25 yards it would take a heck of a LR to beat them. I use a larger size carbon fiber scuba tank to fill them, and the dive shop charges me about twelve dollars to fill to 4000 psi. They are amazingly quiet and of course have no recoil whatsoever, which makes them easy to shoot. The triggers are less than a pound. Be prepared to buy quality pellets from the internet, you won`t find them in a store. I hope you enjoy whatever you get.

#10 ·
Yes...to get the most out of your gun you need good pellets and those are not at the walmarts.

I would also say that air guns are a little like a 22, they have ammo that they like, ammo they hate, them ammo they really like....you have to try them all.

I would suggest going to straightshooter.com and pick up their sample pack for whatever flavor you get...177, 22....bla bla bla.

Best way to find what your specific gun likes to eat.

#12 ·
cheap basement target

This is just for air rifles. I use a box that is 18" square and fill it with rubber mulch from HD. Just to make sure I have a piece of 1/4" plate behind it that is 24" square. Even my Wolverine B at 42 ft. lb. won`t shoot through the box and have never had to replace the mulch. When the box gets shot up I either cover with duck tape for a while or just dump the stuff in a new box. Most of the newer pcp`s are suppressed these days and that makes them wife friendly down in the basement, springers not so much. If you get an unsuppressed pcp, plan on the report being about the same as a .22 rimfire. If you are bothered with pest animals, a typical pcp has roughly twice the power of a springer, and will handle things like raccoons and possums easily. I gave my RWS 460 to my brother last year and he killed a marauding **** in his backyard a couple of weeks ago at 60 yards with it. These are not the guns you used as a kid anymore.

#13 ·
This is just for air rifles. I use a box that is 18" square and fill it with rubber mulch from HD. Just to make sure I have a piece of 1/4" plate behind it that is 24" square. Even my Wolverine B at 42 ft. lb. won`t shoot through the box and have never had to replace the mulch. When the box gets shot up I either cover with duck tape for a while or just dump the stuff in a new box. Most of the newer pcp`s are suppressed these days and that makes them wife friendly down in the basement, springers not so much. If you get an unsuppressed pcp, plan on the report being about the same as a .22 rimfire. If you are bothered with pest animals, a typical pcp has roughly twice the power of a springer, and will handle things like raccoons and possums easily. I gave my RWS 460 to my brother last year and he killed a marauding **** in his backyard a couple of weeks ago at 60 yards with it. These are not the guns you used as a kid anymore.
Very true...and the rubber mulch is just fantastic. I use an old computer case box with a sheet of MDF behind it...never have hit the mdf...but that box will get heavy after a while. Works good for BB's as well....no bounces.

In hunting with air guns one thing to keep in mind is even with the most powerful air rifle you have no shock value....you kill by hitting something that will kill the animal.

Practice with that springer as well....know your ranges and what your quarter range is.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I have a few airguns already that include a few CO2 guns that are weak and expensive to shoot a few Chinese underlever B series rifles that shoot way better than anyone would expect and 3 break barrels. The Chinese rifles are good plinkers at 25 yards but have a very arched trajectory and are underpowered for squirrels. The magnum springers have a lot more power but at the expense of accuracy and are hard on scopes. My beeman switch barrel is fitted now as a 22 and it's frustrating trying to shoot a consistent group even with pellets it likes. My Gamo Hornet is spring powered 177 and rated at 1200 with PBA. I'ts more accurate than the Beeman, but still doesn't shoot the type of group I can get with any decent 22. I am looking at getting some JSB and H&N test packs to see if there is a majic pellet for each gun. Most recently I saw a nitrogen piston gamo wasp for $110 on clearance and went ahead and bought it since I had not tried a gas ram. I'ts OK and much better than the springers in terms of recoil, but it's still a break barrel which is not really great for accuracy and it's really long with a huge bulbous barrel. Having purchased a good number of airguns, none are giving me the consistent accuracy that I see with the PCP guns on you tube. The slower fixed barrel Chinese springers are less picky than the break barrel guns. I think a PCP would be much more satisfying to shoot since they seem to be able to print repeatable 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards.

#15 ·
spring gun accuracy

rc
OK,I'll step in as the "Springer snob" now.I am afraid you are in for disappointment and frustration with your choices in springers if you are really looking for accuracy. If you can live with 1 inch or so at 15-25 yards you might be able to find it by matching pellets to a cheaper or a 'magnum' type spring gun.....? If you however are looking for pretty good accuracy at 25+ yards you will likely have to go up in price a bit. I started out thinking I could get into it cheaply but discovered otherwise.Right now I shoot Weihrauchs and they can be counted on to shoot into 1/4"to 3/8" at 25 [if I do my part] most of the time.
Good luck with your quest.......Colt.45

#40 ·
rc
OK,I'll step in as the "Springer snob" now.I am afraid you are in for disappointment and frustration with your choices in springers if you are really looking for accuracy. If you can live with 1 inch or so at 15-25 yards you might be able to find it by matching pellets to a cheaper or a 'magnum' type spring gun.....? If you however are looking for pretty good accuracy at 25+ yards you will likely have to go up in price a bit. I started out thinking I could get into it cheaply but discovered otherwise.Right now I shoot Weihrauchs and they can be counted on to shoot into 1/4"to 3/8" at 25 [if I do my part] most of the time.
Good luck with your quest.......Colt.45
I concur- spending money on a quality high tier spring airgun is a great investment. My first was bought in the 70's and I paid at least double of what a good .22lr cost and the gun is still in use and as good as it ever was. Great trigger and great for target plinking and even pesting around the house... the difference between entry level and quality is BIG in terms of shooting quality.

#16 ·
I was looking at Hatsan springer videos today. The 95 and 135 have been on my radar a few years and I'd considered getting a 95 a few years ago. I see they have some gas ram guns now. They seem to have better average accuracy than the Gamo rifles. I realize I've not put a lot of money into any one airgun and that's an issue when it comes to accuracy. The Crossman PCPs are now being discounted down to around $350 or so. I'm sure the Gauntlet is causing some concern for PCP competitors. I'd like to have iron sights as an option on my primary airgun simply because the sights near the barrel is better for close range work. The 25 cal is tempting but I think the 22 would be best for my needs. The nice thing about a springer is you can leave it without pressure for extended periods unlike the PCPs that are stored with pressure.

#17 ·
+1 on springer snob. I started with a RWS 350 magnum. It was great for starting but would not do what wanted. I have had several nice springers. I shoot a TX200 right now @12fpe. I know that wont be popular. My favorite springer was a HW77k in walnut stock with 25mm piston.

I have had a RAW. For those that thank there is not a difference in a high dollar and a inexpensive one, you really need to shoot a nice air rifle. Im a broke ******* that works two jobs. I do without to fund my gun wants.

#18 ·
I got a springer Hatsun "125 sniper kit" about 6 years ago. I wanted a suppressed .22 for ground squirrel control on my 2.5 acres but felt a suppressed .22 rimfire 40 gr had to much chance for a bullet skip leaving my property. I don't have that qualm with 13-17 gr pellets. PRice was right in the $110 range IIRC.

First thing I did was throw away the super "4x scope" it came with, fortunately it has pretty good fiber optic iron sights and that worked better for the 25yd and closer shots I take. Being a springer, you have to learn the "artillery hold" technique as holding it tight like a regular powder ignition rifle is not good for accuracy. Best accessory for this was the inline pellet pen that holds 15-20 rounds and makes for easy loading.

I wanted a .22 that was suppressed and the hatsun did pretty good the first couple years (the fox next door loved me, dinner for free just about every other day). But accuracy went south pretty badly and looking over the rifle found that it was shaking itself to death. Action screws had backed out enough to let the action rise up about 3/8" and allow the crosspins to migrate out.

This was an easy enough fix, simply pushing the pins back in and re-tightening the actions screws restored the accuracy for a while. However, accuracy again declined badly a couple months later. This time the plastic suppressor shroud/cocking handle on the barrel has shifted enough that I'm getting baffle strikes and I don't have a fix for this one yet as I'm unwilling to put the time or effort into fixing it. At the time of this failure I had approximately 20 tins of pellets through it.

I had lucked out and got a deal on a Air Arms S410 precharged pneumatic in .22 with a permanently attached moderator in the $450 range. The difference in accuracy is no comparison as the pc is so much easier to shoot and so much more consistent. The hatsun I was lucky to get groups 3/4", more like 1-1.25" at 25 yds. The S420 AA can literally make a single hole at that range . The ground squirrels didn't stand a chance! The only downside was I was adjusting scope elevation turrets quite a bit for these close ranges but I had extended my range out to 40 or so yards now. The other negative was pumping out the 200 or so strokes on the hand pump to refill the charge, those were some effort filled sessions as the last 30 or so strokes get pretty tough.

Bad luck strikes again a couple years later as one of the internal o-rings in the AA S410 goes bad and rifle will no longer hold charge. Even worse luck as AirArms pulled all there support in the USA and only has one authorized repair center now over here (Pyramid Air). Nobody else can seem to get the parts to repair AA. I really don't have any problems with Pyramid Air but trying to get it repaired out of warranty and getting the right person or dept. on the phone was so frustrating I gave up after about 6 attempts. So now it is just sitting on the shelf, but it does have a nice hardwood stock so at least it looks good sitting there.

I was also about that time that I got back into shooting RF and CF again so my interest was at the real range (I had taken a hiatus from shooting when I lost my Father back in 2003, shooting was something we did a lot together and it was a loss that just took a while to recover from).

I am now again looking at getting another precharged pneumatic. Yea they are expensive, but I do believe there is a correlation in price vs performance/consistency. I am really leaning towards a FX, Daystate, Theoben or BSA, but there are some interesting new releases from Weirhauch and Steyr/ Anschutz as well. I'm not shooting 10 meter matches, I'm dispatching ground squirrels so I am looking at the higher output .22 in the 15fp+ range that are still accurate, because I get enough ammo inconsistency problems on the Rimfire bench-rest matches.

I'm not looking at the entry level tier of precharged rifles as they seem to be hit or miss as to reliability and accuracy, people either love or hate em at that price point, but the mid to higher end grades don't seem to have those problems. Much like everything else in life it seems.

Does anybody know of any airgun stores with a live range that will let you try before you buy?

#21 ·
I'm not looking at the entry level tier of precharged rifles as they seem to be hit or miss as to reliability and accuracy, people either love or hate em at that price point, but the mid to higher end grades don't seem to have those problems. Much like everything else in life it seems.
I'd look into a particular model very carefully before buying; some higher-end airguns do indeed often need a bit (some more than a bit) of fiddling to make them work as they should out of the box.

#20 ·
I'm with Colt.45 on the springers - if you spend less than $300 on a springer and don't buy a Diana or HW, you're risking getting very little for the money. Some are ok and the rest are trash.

This is especially true with the "high power" models - there is so much mechanical energy in a magnum springer, that the issues with a cheap build really show through.

Anyway, for PCPs I decided not to skimp and started with a Daystate Huntsman. Great gun, but they sell for $700+. A well worn Air Arms for $500 is a great option. If you have to buy new, a Benjamin Marauder is a super PCP for the money. $.02

David

#22 ·
Anyway, for PCPs I decided not to skimp and started with a Daystate Huntsman. Great gun, but they sell for $700+. A well worn Air Arms for $500 is a great option. If you have to buy new, a Benjamin Marauder is a super PCP for the money. $.02
I've had a Daystate Huntman for 20+ years. Superb rifle (mine's a little dated compared to the new ones).

My .25 Marauder is fantastic, and not just "for the price."

I recently got a Gamo Urban (made by BSA in the UK) for $269. So far it's been very impressive and needed nothing out of the box.

#26 · (Edited)
rc, in your asking of the Marauder, I had a .22 as my first pcp, they do not come regulated, but there's numerous aftermarket parts available for customizing....but now you've bought a mid-priced pcp that can be converted to a level of a high(er)-priced pcp with some better options already installed. (spend $ first or spend $ after)

Can't knock the Mrod, it was a better shooter than my springers and could get 40-50 "pretty" accurate, (not one-hole) shots out to 30-40yds before re-charging. The barrels of the Mrod were one thing many users complained about....some shot great some not, then again, there's aftermarket barrels as an option.
I sold the Mrod after getting an Airforce Condor .22, I found it would out perform the Mrod at farther distances with heavier ammo weights, and being a single shot compared to the Mrod magazine was no bother as I was a break barrel shooter first.

Acquiring your first pcp gun is a big decision, you hope to spend wisely and most likely only once. I can only convey my experiences....and read of others experiences,, but, barrel quality - hammer-forged barrels in a pcp seems to make a big difference in a positive experience and that adds to cost.

The lower priced SPA rifles, newer to the market under various brand names are gaining popularity, they are visually appealing and by many reports shoot very well.
Good luck with your decision.

*Glad to see some others have taken the "snobbish" reference to heart :) from a targeted response to my page 1 #4 post??.....I didn't even mention any brand names and will likely never own a $1000 airgun.

#28 ·
The lower priced SPA rifles, newer to the market under various brand names are gaining popularity, they are visually appealing and by many reports shoot very well.
I have 6 SPA guns, 3 of them PCP rifles. I think they're a great value.

However, upon complete disassembly I found one or more minor glitches (including stripped screw holes) on 4 of 6. I don't recommend the SPA guns to anyone who doesn't want to work on them. On top of that, the factory seals are well known to be of poor quality.

#29 ·
I have owned a lot of PCP air rifles at various price points. I currently have 8 in my gun safe so I am more than a casual user.

My view is that those cheap entry-level guns like the Gauntlet are not worth owning. They have no redeeming features and are cheap because they are not worth any more.

The Benjamin Marauder and Hatsan AT44 rifles are the cheapest ones I would consider to be worth owning. They are quiet and have usable accuracy for small game hunting but they are a compromise. The stocks are not great and they feel a little rough around the edges. Good for the price though.

If you want precision and accuracy out of the box without putting more time and cash into the gun then you'll have to spend more. Good PCP rifles start at around $1,000.

I started with an AT44 and Marauder but neither get used anymore. It's the Mutant Shorty 22 and my Cricket 25 cal bullpup that gets used daily. They are the whole package. Accurate to less than 1/2" at 50 yards and 1" at 100. They are quiet, efficient, balanced and refined. I liked my Daystate Regal too. It was a bargain at $1,000. The wood was delicious.

It all depends on what you plan on using it for though and what your expectations are. For plinking coke cans at 10 yards in your basement, you can get away with spending a lot less than something you plan on hunting or target shooting out to 100 yards with.

Whatever you do, never fill a PCP rifle with oxygen. Use Air, nitrogen or helium only. The best and least expensive tank to get is a used 4500 psi SCBA tank. I buy then for $150 with a fresh hydro. Just make sure you have somewhere to fill them.

Avoid hand pumps if possible. They take a lot of the fun out of it.

#31 ·
My view is that those cheap entry-level guns like the Gauntlet are not worth owning. They have no redeeming features and are cheap because they are not worth any more.
Your view must be that of a clairvoyant in this case; the Gauntlet hasn't been released yet. :rolleyes:

The Benjamin Marauder and Hatsan AT44 rifles are the cheapest ones I would consider to be worth owning. They are quiet and have usable accuracy for small game hunting but they are a compromise. The stocks are not great and they feel a little rough around the edges. Good for the price though.
Kinda like a 10/22?

If you want precision and accuracy out of the box without putting more time and cash into the gun then you'll have to spend more. Good PCP rifles start at around $1,000.
Kinda like a Kidd?

I started with an AT44 and Marauder but neither get used anymore. It's the Mutant Shorty 22 and my Cricket 25 cal bullpup that gets used daily. They are the whole package. Accurate to less than 1/2" at 50 yards and 1" at 100. They are quiet, efficient, balanced and refined. I liked my Daystate Regal too. It was a bargain at $1,000. The wood was delicious.
Not everyone can afford what those guns cost, and/or prefer to have a variety of less expensive guns that can be improved upon and experimented with. I have two SPA M10s ($269 each) that I'm converting to .30 and .35 as I get time to machine the required parts, make new stocks, etc. The trip is often more enjoyable than the destination for those who like to tinker. Quantity often has a quality all its own. :)

But yes, if one has no inclination to modify/improve an airgun, by all means spend the big money for a great one. And ship it to an expert when it needs adjustment or the inevitable o-ring replacement.

It all depends on what you plan on using it for though and what your expectations are. For plinking coke cans at 10 yards in your basement, you can get away with spending a lot less than something you plan on hunting or target shooting out to 100 yards with.
I can do that with a couple of my airguns that cost me less than $500 (excluding my labor, which was "hobby time").

Avoid hand pumps if possible. They take a lot of the fun out of it.
We can certainly agree on that. :bthumb:

#30 ·
Interesting thread. My PCP journey began with an Armada in .22 cal. Basically a Marauder in tactical clothing. I have a "few" of them now in .22 and .25. Graduated from the pump to an Altaros booster compressor and a couple of SCBA tanks. Looked at higher end rifles but decided that learning these entry level guns and finding out how they work and modding them myself would be fun and the end result is quite satisfying. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff for the Marauder platform and they are simple to work on. I have a modded and regulated .22 that will produce 70 shots @ 30fpe in very accurate fashion. You don't have to have high end guns to get high end performance but you have to learn how they function and put in the work if you want high end performance in the lower end guns.

Created: 02/21/17 07:36 PM
Description: .22 Armada
Notes 1: JSBEJHD 18.13
Notes 2: Hill 262 4.2
Distance to Chrono(FT): 1.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 18.13
Temp: 61 °F
BP: 29.94 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
# FPS FT-LBS PF
70 855 29.43 15.50
69 851 29.16 15.43
68 854 29.36 15.48
67 857 29.57 15.54
66 857 29.57 15.54
65 865 30.13 15.68
64 863 29.99 15.65
63 857 29.57 15.54
62 860 29.78 15.59
61 866 30.20 15.70
60 871 30.55 15.79
59 865 30.13 15.68
58 860 29.78 15.59
57 859 29.71 15.57
56 858 29.64 15.56
55 859 29.71 15.57
54 863 29.99 15.65
53 862 29.92 15.63
52 861 29.85 15.61
51 853 29.30 15.46
50 864 30.06 15.66
49 860 29.78 15.59
48 862 29.92 15.63
47 864 30.06 15.66
46 861 29.85 15.61
45 866 30.20 15.70
44 871 30.55 15.79
43 866 30.20 15.70
42 860 29.78 15.59
41 864 30.06 15.66
40 861 29.85 15.61
39 867 30.27 15.72
38 868 30.34 15.74
37 868 30.34 15.74
36 870 30.48 15.77
35 869 30.41 15.75
34 869 30.41 15.75
33 871 30.55 15.79
32 871 30.55 15.79
31 864 30.06 15.66
30 868 30.34 15.74
29 864 30.06 15.66
28 865 30.13 15.68
27 862 29.92 15.63
26 856 29.50 15.52
25 862 29.92 15.63
24 869 30.41 15.75
23 857 29.57 15.54
22 863 29.99 15.65
21 863 29.99 15.65
20 865 30.13 15.68
19 866 30.20 15.70
18 864 30.06 15.66
17 865 30.13 15.68
16 868 30.34 15.74
15 864 30.06 15.66
14 866 30.20 15.70
13 866 30.20 15.70
12 865 30.13 15.68
11 866 30.20 15.70
10 867 30.27 15.72
9 865 30.13 15.68
8 858 29.64 15.56
7 868 30.34 15.74
6 862 29.92 15.63
5 862 29.92 15.63
4 854 29.36 15.48
3 860 29.78 15.59
2 865 30.13 15.68
1 858 29.64 15.56
Average: 863.1 FPS
SD: 4.7 FPS
Min: 851 FPS
Max: 871 FPS
Spread: 20 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.2
True MV: 863 FPS
Group Size (in): 0.00

#32 ·
Great information so far guys so keep it coming. I've watched a lot of youtube videos lately.

Who has a mega puncher PCP?

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Puncher_Mega_Synthetic_Sidelever_PCP_Air_Rifle/4193

How about a AirForce International Orion?

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-3616-7008.html

It seems these are a bit nicer than the Benjamins for between $480 and $600.

Also, has anyone bought one of the Chinese compressors from Ebay? I see them for as low as $280 or so. I looked up scuba tanks on craigs list and can find them locally. What should I watch out for on a used tank? I realize dry air is important so what dryer do you guys use for the air line? I think I'm going to wait until black Friday and see if there is a good sale this year. By then hopefully the Gauntlet and Diana stormrider will be out and prices of the more expensive guns with a few more features may soften a bit. I do like the looks of a sidelever repeater and I also think a power adjuster knob would be worth spending a bit more to get. rc

#33 · (Edited)
I've had PCPs for quite a few years. Have always used a hand pump as I'm not a high volume airgun shooter.

After seeing Jörg Sprave's (slingshot channel) youtube video review, I'm certainly thinking about ordering one of the following myself.

300bar compressor for <$350 delivered.

I'd like to see how long the things actually last. I'm guessing not long, but at 1/10th the cost of similar HPA pumps (which are often made in china as well) I'm definitely considering rolling the dice on one.

#34 ·
An older PCP

If you could find an older gun like a Daystate or FX that just didn`t get used or might need new seals, you would end up with something that would be amazingly accurate for not so much money. My FX Tarantula must have just sat in a closet after purchase and the seals needed replaced. It is as new and I added a six section FX moderator to it to make it quiet. It`s accuracy with the 18 gr. JSB is simply astonishing. So many of these guns get bought and then never really used, which is a shame. I sure hope you find something that suits your needs, these rifles are much more capable than most people realize.

#35 ·
Sources of used guns?

Do these show up on gunbroker? Nice thing is door to door delivery without FFL, but finding one may be an issue. Was hoping to find something that does not need new seals out of the box but you are right that people will often just want to chuck a gun that won't seal in the trash rather than go through the trouble to fix it. I'm kicking myself for throwing out my Crossman 357 10 years ago that would not index the cylinder anymore before I realized you can still get parts for a lot of these if you look around. rc

#36 ·
Do these show up on gunbroker? Nice thing is door to door delivery without FFL, but finding one may be an issue. Was hoping to find something that does not need new seals out of the box but you are right that people will often just want to chuck a gun that won't seal in the trash rather than go through the trouble to fix it. I'm kicking myself for throwing out my Crossman 357 10 years ago that would not index the cylinder anymore before I realized you can still get parts for a lot of these if you look around. rc
Really good resource for used air guns and related items...

http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.