Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:11 AM
Scattergun2570
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Muzzle Loader

Which one would you say is the best bang for the buck?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:49 PM
cfplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lyman Great Plains rifle.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Traditions and Thompson-Center also make a number of very fine Rifles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What will you be doing with it ??
Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 AM
Scattergun2570

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
What will you be doing with it ??

Deer hunt
Old 03-25-2017, 06:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have had good luck with T/C currently own two. Also have a knight which they are making again but will set you back a little more money, not sure if it's worth it performance wise.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm not sure how primitive you want to start with:

I cannot comment on any flintlock muzzleloaders as I never had nor hunted with one. I have a T/C Renegade - 54 caliber, side hammer, percussion cap that worked very well for that style M/L.

I upgraded to a Remington 700ML 50 caliber when they first came out and like it very much. Still a #11 percussion cap ignition, but looks and handles like a Remington 700. Very good accuracy with the right combination & powder.

I have heard good things about the T/C Triumph & Pro Hunter which would upgrade you to the 209 primer ignition and allow the use of Buckhorn powder. Remington now makes the "Ultimate M/L" which can handle larger loads and even Cooper makes a M/L. Both of the latter ones would be on the high end $ wise.

For deer hunting just about any 50 caliber M/L out there will do the job with the proper load, however I wouldn't buy the lowest priced one on the shelf, but would expect to pay $500+ for a good quality rifle plus any optics if needed. Like anything else it requires working up a load and then knowing your ballistic pattern for the distance you will be hunting.

Here is a review of 2017 Top Muzzleloaders that would give you comparisons and also background information on several points to consider. I would not disagree with any of those on the list.

https://thesurvivallife.com/best-muzzleloader.html
Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun2570 View Post
Deer hunt
Great, I should have caught that when you said "...best bang for the BUCK"

First thing is to check the game laws where you live and see if there are any restrictions on the gun . Where I live you can use a M/L rifle of any form you like during the regular rifle season, but if you hunt in one of the specific M/L seasons then it needs to meet the state'd definition of a M/Ler, which here means open ignition and iron sights. Personally I agree with the idea of keeping primitive weapons seasons primitive, not like what has happened in th bowhunting world with all the compound gross-bows and now even crossbows for pete's sake, but I guess that is a whole 'nother discussion.

For deer, any .45 or better rifle should do the trick once you work up an accurate load. I does not have to be fancy unless you want it to be. I have a friend at the rendezvous' who has killed a lot of deer and elk over the past 40 years with an old 50-cal flinter, using a plain PRB (patched round ball) over 80 grains of 3F Swiss. The moral of that tale is he long ago settled on the rifle he liked (built it himself) and then did a good job of working up the right combo of ball+patch+lube+powder that got the gun shooting at it's absolute peak.

So whatever you do don't underestimate the capability of the simple round ball charge which has killed more deer in history than all other M/L bullets combined.
When you are dealing with a typical M/L projectile, the sheer diameter has a lot going for it. A CF bullet with a diameter of .24 to .30 depends on its velocity and bullet expansion to get the job done. A pure soft lead ball with a diameter of .45 to .54 inch , even at 1700 FPS, has an awful lot of smack going for it
I hunt deer & elk here with both a traditional caplock (TC Hawken) and a self-built Lancaster flinter, both are .54 caliber, for no other reason than I tend to try to standardize my M/L calibers to limit the number of round-ball molds I need for casting the bullets.

So find a gun you like and can afford, and then get out and shoot, shoot, shoot til you know what works best in it. BTW if you choose to cast your own balls, you will be able to shoot for about the same price-per-shot as rimfire ! That won't happen if you have to buy those expensive "wannabe CF" sabot bullets !

Welcome to the world of BP shooting, whatever you decide, don't forget to have fun at it.
Finally i'd recommend looking up the nearest BP/Mountain man rendezvous event this season and go spend some time among the guys who've been shooting M/L-ers a long time. They are generally a generous lot and usually open to letting a tenderfoot try their smokepoles at the shooting events. That's how I got hooked on the hobby many years back.

All the best,
Bob4BVM
Old 07-25-2020, 06:16 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Respectfully, if the OP in this 2017 post is going shooting with a black powder rifle, there isn't a loading press in his future connected with that rifle. He'll be loading from the muzzle with a ball, patch, powder and ramrod like our forefathers did in the 18th century. Fun way to shoot. But it was the very technology that cartridges were designed to innovate away from.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like my .50 cal Knight rifle. In addition to the thumb safety, it has a knurled sleeve on the bolt that can be screwed forward to prevent the bolt from contacting the percussion cap. I screw it forward for the walk to my stand and use only the thumb safety once I'm there.

It's also very nice to be able to remove the bolt and breech plug for cleaning the bore from the breech.

Scattergun, if you don't have experience with muzzle loaders - it's very important to clean the bore asap after firing. I wouldn't consider waiting more than a day. The propellant has a very high sulfur content that forms sulfuric acid from moisture in the air. It will pit your barrel rather quickly if it's not neutralized/removed. A hard lesson I learned by "wait until I get home to clean it". Much different than my high power rifle hunts.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
T/C isnít an accurate reproduction of the Originals, but their quality is excellent.

If you decide to purchase one, make sure it has been cleaned properly and I prefer the factory built ones instead of the kit rifles. That way you know they were built right.