Habu Problems. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 PM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Habu Problems.

I have a Habu (LLV-6 upper) that has been nothing but trouble. When I got the the upper home it would not mate up to a stainless Hunter grip. Being a FFL item I dreaded to try to return it. The compensator and nut was not installed at the time. Tightening the nut helped and the upper would mate with difficulty. After snapping the bolt a few times, the compensator nut was loose again. So the barrel/breech insert was not fully seated from Volquartsen.

Fast forward a year later to today, while test firing the upper was light striking the primers. I tried two different bolts, and the gun fires fine with a Ruger barrel. I get a light strike FTF every 3rd or 4th shot.

On inspection it looks like the hammer is hitting the back of the ejector assembly at the same time as the bolt/firing pin. The Ruger is cut back to the taper on the back of the bolt, the Habu is not. Next time I go to town I will get a tube of Prussian Blue to check for contact.

Nice upper, but poor QC. Must have been made Monday morning or Friday afternoon.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Call volquartsen they will take care of the problem for you where did you purchase it at?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:55 PM
Southern1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the upper from Brownells.

The ejector is held in with a screw, and not riveted like Ruger. If it is hitting, it will only take a minute remove and trim. Just surprised to see almost 1/8" difference between Ruger and Volquartsen.

I refused to keep Prussian Blue in my tool box when I pulled wrenches on the road. One tube of that stuff can cover the world (and all your tools) with blue stains. But when you need some you have to have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 11:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I bought mine from Brownells also and work great most accurate 22 I have and balance is great
Old 05-27-2020, 10:05 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Email VQ. They will likely send you a label to where you can drop off at a local Fedex on their dime. Likely will have you send in the whole gun. Mine had issues 3yrs ago when I built it (early one), and they fit the receiver to the frame by removing a little material. Mine was utterly reliable with the VQ bolt, but not with the factory Ruger bolt. But I wasn't using that one with it anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me. The 2nd LLV4 I got a year and a half later and put on a 22/45 frame. No issues with that one.

VQ's customer service is so good they nearly make you feel guilty. They took in my cousin's MKIII 22/45 with a TacSol barrel on it. All he had in it VQ was a bolt and trigger kit. It was light striking, and they had him send in and ran through it. Ended up replacing the bolt with a different one. No cost.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I just got another llv upper from Brownells and it is flawless accurate and reliable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D57E63CC-7084-4B1F-B68F-D8B7C448E85E_1591067739527.jpg (467.9 KB, 4 views)