Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:18 PM
mike454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 1885 22lr accuracy

Just looking to see if anyone cares to comment on the accuracy of these guns from the last few years. I see that the older ones had accuracy that was hit or miss. Wondering if it's gotten any better with the current batch.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
25 yards, offhand - first shot of the day.

And then all 10 shots..... (sigh)

I have had no complaints with its accuracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win 1885 First shot of the day.jpg (414.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Win 1885 with all the shots.jpg (165.9 KB, 11 views)

Old 07-26-2020, 07:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have a couple the Miroku built Low Walls. One is a circa 2000 USRAC Classic and the other is a current Winchester labeled Low Wall Hunter Rimfire. Both will do half inch at 50 yards on a regular basis when I find the ammo they like and I take my time and work with them. I don't rate them as match guns by any means, but I think they definitely fall into that solid hunting accuracy category. They'll outshoot our lever guns and semi-autos for sure, but I don't rate them in the same category as a good bolt gun. Triggers are useable, but not what you can get with a good bolt gun. For us, working that classic falling block action, though, makes shooting these 1885s a pure pleasure, so much so that we've never been disappointed when taking these guns to the range. Will never sell them.

By the way, we also have the current Rimfire Hunters in 17 HMR and 22 mag and they will do the same half inch at 50 yards on a regular basis, making the 22 mag one of the best 22 mags I've ever owned.

Last edited by Rimfiregal; 07-26-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Carney Pace

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Winchester Miroku decent hunting accuracy. The only thing they have in common with a 1885 is a hammer and barrel. Totally different action and trigger assembly.

Uberti with double set triggers at 50 yds. I cannot shot to the guns capabilities. Would say that it is less than 1/2" capable. Almost an exact copy of the 1885.
Will try to shot at 50 yds. and post targets in the next 2 days. if the wind dies.

Carney
Old 07-27-2020, 09:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like I should rest my Miroku some day just to check. I've only ever shot it offhand.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
To the OP's original question, I don't think there will be much difference in older and newer Miroku .22 LR rifles. The centerfire and other rimfire Miroku rifles have been very accurate, in my experience, but the .22 LR versions have been a disappointment. It is my opinion this has nothing to do with the precision of the action or barrels. I believe it is due to the need for fairly sloppy chambers to ensure proper function of the extractor/ejector. Every time I have tried to get a tighter "match" chamber to work in any falling block (1885, Ruger #1, Dakota M10 and other custom actions), it has been a failure. The relatively small rim and short case tends to make reliable extraction, and especially ejection, problematic. The only one that seems to work well with a tight chamber is the extremely effective BSA International, but it's not really a falling block action, and its ejector is a completely different design that could not work on a falling block.

Just coincidentally, I recently bought a Miroku rifle in .22 WMR. It has the very positive rimfire ejector, and my plan is to rebarrel it with a Shilen Ratchet barrel and a very tight match chamber to see just how accurate a .22 LR Miroku rifle can be made, and whether or not that accurate Miroku will eject sufficiently with the tight chamber. I actually might get that thing rebarreled this week .

On the original versus modern actions, I know the purist Single Shot fans hold the Miroku rifles in complete disdain, but I think we should have a more open mind on this, as the original design was far from perfect, especially with modern, high pressure cartridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carney Pace View Post
Winchester Miroku decent hunting accuracy. The only thing they have in common with a 1885 is a hammer and barrel. Totally different action and trigger assembly.

Uberti with double set triggers at 50 yds. I cannot shot to the guns capabilities. Would say that it is less than 1/2" capable. Almost an exact copy of the 1885.
Will try to shot at 50 yds. and post targets in the next 2 days. if the wind dies.

Carney
While there are things I also do not care for in the new 1885 (mostly aesthetics) and I agree the action is very different in some ways, it is not really totally different, and certainly they have more in common than a hammer and barrel.

The fact the hammer is mounted in and pivots on the block and is cocked with the motion of the rising block was the most important innovation John Browning made and is what caught Winchester's eye; that is still there in the Miroku rifles and is the single most defining element of an 1885. Yes, the triggers differ, and I prefer the original, but the originals also had many iterations, and the mainspring itself had two iterations. The current coil springs in the Miroku are an engineering improvement over the mouse-trap spring of the "coil" guns and certainly over the original flat spring guns. I like the feel of flat spring guns, but I would take a Miroku over any original if my life, or an expensive hunt, depended on it.

Also, the extractor/ejector on the centerfire Miroku's differs considerably, but the rimfire ejector is a very close replication, with what I consider an upgrade on its actuation mechanism (the newest rimfire ejectors are superior to the original, in my view). Also, Browning went to the trouble of providing provision for a free floating barrel, whereas the original fore stocks attach directly to the barrel. Certainly, with all the emphasis here on RFC on free floating and its effect on accuracy, one would need to concede the newer Miroku rifles are better in this regard. Finally, for very small cartridges, like .22 LR, the ergonomics of the Miroku are superior, especially the camming action when raising the lever to chamber a round. One need not seat the cartridge in as far with the modern design, a distinct improvement when there is little room for fat fingers in there.

Just my opinion.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 07-27-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I do like the ejector setup on the current Rimfire Hunters, since we scope those. Our USRAC Classic, though, is extractor only, but that gun is not scoped. so having to pull the 22 LR cases out by hand is not too much of a chore. If it was scoped, it would be, though.

One thing I appreciate with our three Rimfire Hunters is the excellent Miroku QC. Three guns, all identical in fit and finish, right down to all three having identical triggers in terms of pull weight and clean break. The guns are so identical, in fact, that I have to read the barrel markings to know which ammo to use. Yes, these are expensive rimfires, but that's part of why you pay that price.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:21 PM
mike454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info guys! I have a Browning 1885 in 45 colt that I love. I keep thinking that the only thing that would be better is another in 22LR. I'm not looking for bench rest accuracy necessarily, but would be happy if it would shoot 5 into an inch or so at 50 yards. Sounds like that's not a sure thing.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:56 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Never a sure thing in firearm accuracy, but I think your expectations are more than reasonable, and I would bet you could find ammunition that will shoot into an inch at 50 yards; I wouldn't be as confident about 1/2", but I also think that is certainly possible.

Since you already have an 1885, there's no need to do a hard sell, but I also believe Rimfiregal is absolutely correct about the quality of these rifles. I find the fit, finish, and overall build quality absolutely top notch. In preparation for rebarreling, I removed the stocks from mine and started the disassembly process, and I have to believe anyone who has done the same and observed the quality of the parts would be duly impressed. Not coincidentally, they look just like a Citori inside. I've said this before, but I believe the quality and function are better than any Ruger #1, with the possible exception of the very earliest ones, and everyone says they would buy a .22 LR No. 1 in a heartbeat...and that an 80% No. 1 would "sell like hot cakes." Well, that's exactly what these 1885 rifles are, and they get nothing but grief, probably because they were brazen enough to call them a "Winchester 1885," just like the old post-64 M70 outrage. The aesthetics on some versions are lacking in some areas, and I plan to address those when I do my rebarrel, but the rifle is a solid as any you can find.

I would buy one, if I were you, but stick with one that has an ejector.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 07-31-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Blacktail53
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot is said about the Ruger #1, that it should be chambered for 22LR and would sell like "hot cakes". There's been a handful of custom #1 .22's built and consensus is that the are way too much (size) firearm for the little round....almost popgun like.

The Win/Browning low wall is another story. Scaled much better for the .22LR. Its size, fit and finish, along with it's accuracy make it a perfect fit.

In my view, they're making a mistake by assuming that we all want period correct "looking" rifles..... most of us don't really care. Get rid of the peep sight and the crescent butt plate and stock it like the standard low wall centerfires. Make it easy and affordable to scope......and do the same thing with the pistol calibers they're putting out ( .357, 44. 45 ).

My own Low Wall is a Browning .260 and it's form and function are wonderful.
It's only lacking is an ejector.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With you all the way on the scale and size of the Rimfire Hunters or even the Hunter series of centerfires, such as our Hunter Low Wall in 223. I do love classic single shots, but as a gal, I can't deal with the weight and length of a traditional Sharps or High Wall or even a Ruger 1B, much as I admire them. The fact that offhand is my fav shooting position only makes things worse.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Carney Pace

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Shot the Mikoru Winchester against the Uberti Low wall. The Mikoru had a 12 power scope and the Uberti a 6 power. At 50 yd. the Uberti was a little better, but needed more magnification. The 6x scope was fine for in door offhand matches but really lacking at 50 yds. for groups.

Later I will change scopes and try again for groups.
Carney
Old 08-02-2020, 01:05 PM
stringnut
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1885 groups around 3/4 at 50 yards with a couple of different kinds of ammo. It may do better, but, that us about as good as I can do with the tang mounted aperture sight. Since it does less well with other ammo maybe I am not too far off of its potential. Anyway it is tons of fun too shoot and really gets some looks when I carry it when hunting on the state land behind my house. Manufactured around 2005. Could tell you the exact year but that would require a trip downstairs. Not willing to put out that kind of effort today😁
Old 08-04-2020, 08:49 PM
ppipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Approximately 5 years ago I did some ammo testing with my then new Winchester Low Wall Rimfire Hunter (22LR); using a variety of match and sporting rounds I was able to get some quite decent groups out of the match rounds and some "patterns" out of the sporting rounds at a hundred yards - I did post the results in the Winchester forum at the time. Today I shoot older Winchester Power Points and find that 5/8" to 3/4" groups at 50 yards are quite normal and plenty good enough for an elegant field rifle.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:49 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppipe View Post
...5/8" to 3/4" groups at 50 yards are quite normal and plenty good enough for an elegant field rifle.
Truer words were never spoken!
TBR