Any one can tell me about the excel accelerator 22WMR? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any one can tell me about the excel accelerator 22WMR?

I’ve been intrigued by this pistol for years but I’ve been scared to buy it because I’ve read tons of reviews that people have nothing but feeding issues with them. I’ve always wanted one and a 22 Winchester Magnum to go out and use it for a little accurate squirrel gun. I figured I’d throw a red dot on it and call it a day. I’ve never seen one in person and that’s what really made me gun shy about them besides all the bad reviews on feeding issues. Well A brand new 8.5” barreled version is sitting in my local gun shop for $425 which is not the Best Price I’ve seen on them but I at least got to pick it up and feel it and see it for the first time. Im guessing by the time I order it on line for $378 and pay an FFL transfer I’m close to the local shop price. It looked like very good high-quality but the grip kind of slid in my hand so I would have to get some type of sticky traction for it. I wish they made it in a finger groove. I bought a Kel tec a couple years ago and Caltech ended up refunding me because it went back three times in a row for feeding issues within the first month and a half. It kept jamming nonstop no matter what they did to it. I also looked at the rock island Xt 22r 22 WMR but haven’t seen one in person. I don’t know how I would mono red dot on it anyways because I don’t wanna use open sights on. My plan was to use it for Ulta 100 yards for squirrel and small game hunting if not further with hornady vmax ammo. I just hate to buy one and have a headache again just like the PMR 30 which is absolute junk. After I read all the reviews how they didn’t cycle and jammed I should’ve known and not wasted my money on the cheap plastic pistol but I had to give it a try because I always wanted to 22 WMR hunting pistol that I can put a red dot on.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-10-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Ranger61
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I got one about 10 years ago from a guy who said that it would never fire three rounds without jamming. I thought it was an interesting gun and I like an occasional challenge so he sold it to me cheap. Well if you load the magazine with the tool provided I have never had a failure to feed or a failure to fire. Admittedly I have only fired about 500 rounds through it but still I don't have any complaint. I've fired PMC, Remington, and CCI 22WMR ammo through it. Trigger is kind of creepy but its pretty accurate. Oddest thing about it is it uses an extension spring for the slide so when you fire it makes a "boing" sound like a screen door spring which is kind of odd but you get used to it. I know the majority of people have had nothing but trouble but that hasn't been my experience. I also got a 17 HMR barrel with it but I have never tried it.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Tripplebeards

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There’s just too many bad reviews and videos I’m gonna pass on them and forget about him for the rest of my life. Lol

I almost went and bought one yesterday and one on YouTube and I watched a guy test one brand new out of a box in 17 HMR. The first nine shots cycled flawlessly. By the time he was on his fourth magazine every round failed to fire or failed to feed! The bonehead even was shooting it without safety glasses on and had powder burn on his face by his eyes and then kept shooting without wearing safety glasses! Moron!

https://youtu.be/WdDjJ6-Tz2Q

I guess I can’t give him too much static because I tried her old young American 32 S&W A few years ago and had the same experience. I had shrapnel stuck in my cheek with blood coming down. Missed my right eye by an inch!!! I got very luck that day. I do not shoot pistols without safety glasses anymore! Lesson learned and thank God I didn’t take out my eyes. That would’ve just been swell after I spent five grand out-of-pocket to get Lasic surgery done on them and then to lose my vision again permanently. About six months ago I had an itch on my face by my cheek and I kept itching it and another piece of shrapnel came out of it!

Someday somebody will have bought one of these pistols and absolutely hate it. And I’ll pick it up and mess with it and try and polish the snot out of it and lighten up the recoil spring to see if I can get it to reliably cycle. I’m sure not gonna spend $400 on one that doesn’t feed or cycle...and when you send it into the factory to have them try and fix the issue that should’ve been fixed before I got sold and it takes a half a year to get back and it still doesn’t work I’ll pass.

From all the reviews I’ve watched over the years I think the only one that actually makes a 22 WMR simiauto that cycles reliably Is CZ with their 512. From every other video I watched every other semi automatic pistol and rifle on the planet in 22 WMR ends up jamming Or has feeding issues with certain ammos. When I do finally get a pistol it’ll probably be a Ruger single six and Ill mount a red dot on it. At least it Will go bang every time I pull the trigger.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-15-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 02:25 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I know this video was only showing the 17 but OP asked about the 22mag so here is what I know.
That 22mag cartridge is an issue with most semi actions as I hear it. It's the powder spike and it causes issues mostly in pistols but even semi rifles are picky with this caliber. If you want a semi action 22mag you have to learn to work with your ammo and gun to find the sweet spots. Just like anything that is special, it's not always a takeout of box and shoot forever without any issues, at least not normal production stuff.
Now with that said, I have heard that this brand model is shipped with a mag tool as noted in the video and that you really should use it to load the mags to make sure each and every round is seated properly in the mag on the back side or it will have issues. Maybe the 17 is different but doubt it as they show the tool and it uses the same mags as the 22Mag would. I did see once in the video where he smacks the back of the mag into his palm to force them back BUT no sure if that works or the spring is tight enough not to let them slide back at that point, not sure if he loaded them full either.
Another thing we didn't see or know, did he at least check the slide for lube or run it dry or how did it come?
Now with all that said, I do know that you can find a AMT Automag II that shoots this round(22mag). There are also ammo issues and you need to again learn what it likes or not. AMT is long gone but you can find used ones. I have heard just like most that they are all bad but I own 4 and worked through any issues. It's not a loose always shooting gun, they are tight and that comes with working them out before just throwing your arms up and talking about how bad they are. These are not revolvers, point and pull, bang.
Once you get them running they are nice. This all refers to the 22MAG caliber only, I have no experience yet with my 17's, just not enough time yet to work on them. I also have a few rifles in 22mag but not enough time for them yet either. The other things about the 22mag is no reloading and they are not as cheap as 22LR. So punching paper doesn't die faster or more with a mag, lol. Yeah, one day I'll get to them others but I have a ton of fun with the pistols!
Old 02-02-2020, 11:19 PM
AeroE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought one about a year ago. Someone had one for sale at our annual swap meet, and I decided I had to have one. I have about $420 invested with shipping and transfer.

When I received the pistol I fired 5 rounds to check function and it seemed okay, so I put the gun away until December when I got it out to zero the sights.

First - if I had known the rear sight no longer had the screw windage adjustment I would not have bought the pistol. The current guns have a Glock rear sight, although elevation adjustment is still installed.

At the range I fired 45 rounds, 15 of which failed to feed. The root reason is that the magazine is about 0.025 to 0.030 inches too low in the receiver and one of two malfunctions occur, the bolt over runs the cartridge and can't pick it up, or the cartridge simply strikes the breech just below the chamber and bends the cartridge. Neither problem has anything to do with loading the magazines with the tool, which is a nice touch.

Function with dummy rounds appears to be okay with the magazines shimmed up with a 0.032 inch brass strip. I can find no means of fixing the problem without lengthening the magazine body. Which is sort of trimmed to a uniform edge.

After removing the top rail -
- The main spring hook on the bolt is dragging on the rail. Maybe the parts are dimensioned for the bolt to contact. If so, the rail is not hard coated for that application, the finish is removed completely at contact.
- The barrel has a groove for the main spring. The end mill cut just above the chamber is blued from poor feed and speed. Probably more annoying than substantial, but still …
- The aft end of the bolt does not ride uniformly against the inside of the rail, it's contacting harder on the right hand side; again, the finish is completely worn through,
- The aft end of the frame is battered from the slide, with a nice gouge developing on the right hand side. There is a gun on Gunbroker that has a visible uneven gap between the frame and slide that looks exactly like this one. This problem is not going to improve by firing 200 "break in" rounds.
- The inside of the loop at the aft end of the bolt is covered in EDM splatter. Other features such as the bearing surfaces between the frame and slide also show EDM splatter or minimal effort at cleaning up the surfaces. None of the sliding surfaces are polished.
- The face of the hammer has a machined surface mismatch.
- Little details such as burrs around the pin holes through the grip are left, instead of taking a quick spin with a deburring tool or a drill bit to remove.

The trigger break is fair, but I have not measured the weight; it's not terribly objectionable.

My first mistake was buying the gun, my second was turning down $250 at the gun show week before last.

Last edited by AeroE; 02-03-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:04 AM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The amount of semi-auto guns that can fire .22mag reliably is SHORT.

Keltec got it right. So did the grandpappy Grendel.
Same guy designed both companies guns...George KelGren.
They work. Fantastically.

Marlin Camp 922M works WONDERFULLY!
Even better when you buy a 925M 15-rd mag and convert it for the 922M by drilling a mag catch oval.

H&R 300 works.

Magnum Research has a nice rifle, based on the Ruger 1022M...which the Ruger never really worked reliably. It took many High Quality MR or Volquartzen parts to make it work...so after $1K worth of changes to the 1022M, it was simply cheaper for MR or VQ to just make a whole rifle that actually works properly out of the box....which, costs about a Grand from either.

Nothing else is really reliable. Many have tried, dang near everyone fails at it.

Automag II was plagued...both AMT and HS of Houston failed at it.
Hope someone will buy the rights for the III, IV & V, because they worked.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love the Grendels and Automag II. Never shot the rest, although I have a Marlin but never got to it yet. The other you listed are interesting too. Some of what stops them from selling big is the extra cost of the mag ammo and unless your hunting and need the power, it gets wasted on killing paper or cans.

The biggest issue with AMT Automag II is people didn't use the proper ammo listed. This is a "gas assisted" firearm and the flake power just caused it to plug up. Some people also blamed too tight of chamber so they polished it. This also caused the system to plug up with all the junk they used. People didn't understand the gas system and never realized it has 12 holes in the chamber and 6 more just in front(leade) area of it. I'll also bet people cleaning the barrel weren't careful with all that dirt and grim being shoved into the ports.

Cleaning my barrel, after the normal run of patches and such through, I would then stick the barrel chamber end down into a little jar of cleaning solution covering up the gas port (2" or so) and let sit there overnight, I usually stirred it around every now and there just because it was there. This allow the gas system to clear out the grim also. Ball powder needs to be used but people don't know what ammo has it or even what that means and ammo has changed over the years, so pull one apart to confirm or use what they list, Winchester Super X.

The Grendel used flutes to avoid this issue and sorry but the Kel-tec did have issues at first run barrels that had to be recalled (some/most). I don't know the exact problem with them as some did work and some didn't, heard they redesigned it but not sure what they did. I stopped following it because LGS were pricing these as "the sky is the limit" anyways for the newest best thing.

I also heard but not seen any of the AMT II from Houston, but Houston we have a problem, lol. I heard they also redesigned the barrel and removed the gas system. Mind you I never seen one yet but just heard this. I'm not sure how they managed the power of the 22mag. So not sure how good or bad they were coming from that location/manufacture.

You can also not judge the pistol by the inventor because the manufacturer may choose to change some things for better profit or ease of making the part. The person who designed the AMT Automag line was Larry Grossman and he also works at Excel. Not exactly sure of his title there but I'm sure he is involved with things. Again, the guy who designed the Grendel did that great but then had issues with the Kel-tec. Other people fingers get involved and things can go wrong and we will never know who was at fault just that the item had issues.

Last edited by Baby Automag; 04-26-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:14 AM
dwarven1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Automag quality varies from gun to gun

I have two Automag IIs (and am waiting impatiently for my Automag III to arrive!). I have the 4.5" version and one with a 6" barrel.

the shorter one is an utterly reliable tackdriver - as long as bullets of at least 33 grains are used. 30 grain loads will NOT eject properly. But Hornady Critical Defense and the .33 gr Remington loads? Bellisimo! It also loves the Armscor 40gr JHP loads.

Now... the 6"... THAT's a wee bit more finicky. So far, the only reliable load I've found is CCI MaxiMag 40gr solids. The Armscor 40gr JHPs? The spent casing LOCKS into the chamber and has to be POUNDED out with a rod. I only shot two before I got tired of breaking the gun down to hammer out the spent casing... 30 and 33 gr loads don't eject reliably; the casings don't clear the ejection port. With those CCI MaxiMags, though, it's also quite accurate.

I understand from amtguns.info that some folks have had luck shortening the recoil spring by 3 turns; I just ordered a spare from eBay so that I can experiment with that without taking the gun completely out of commission. I'll try shooting the new spring with the lighter loads first before I do any cutting. Who knows? Maybe the rate is enough different that it'll work. Certainly worth a try before I start cutting; scientific method says I need a baseline, anyway.

Anyway, when you have an Automag II that runs well, KEEP IT. It's six metric tons of fun. The guys at the country store half a mile away always know when I'm outside putting rounds downrange with mine - they can hear it echoing through the hills.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:50 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing you need to realize is that the Automag II is a "gas assist" firearm. AMT only recommends Winchester "Super X" ammo. This is because it has "ball" powder which won't clog the gas system. You could use any ammo but ball powder back in the days burned cleaner. If you use any other or even the newer Super X I would be pulling a bullet to check type of powder. you might get away with "flake" powder as things change and maybe now it burns better BUT I never wanted to chance clogs. Cleaning the gas system is a pain in the @@@@. i have seen a few barrel destroyed by people clogging them up and then trying to clear them so be careful. It is a "sealed" system as in you can not take it apart and have to work through cleaning it one port at a time when it's bad. Any clogs in the system cause ejection failures and feed issues as it won't cycle the slide properly.