Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

WAY TOO QUIET!

6K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
It's been way too quiet around here -- not a single new post in more than three weeks! Time to rouse the troops.

So, I have a very nice and somewhat unusual JSR in that it has an 18" polished stainless barrel vs the typical 22" matte stainless barrel. It shoots very well with SK Match and Rifle Match, and handles beautifully. Pic time. :)

Doug

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I recently had an opportunity to purchase two Coopers...one for me and one for my son. This through a really great guy. Both are 17 HMR.

The one I purchased is, as I understand it, one of a very limited run of what was referred to as a Sapphire Classic. It was manufactured in 2003. It has a Neidner buttplate, tri-panel checkered bolt knob, inletted sling swivel attachments, and 24 LPI wrap around checkering. To the best of my knowledgeable the gun is old stock NIB:

The gun I purchased for my son is also also a Classic with the Neidner buttplate, and wrap checkering:

We haven't had time to mount scopes and shoot. I will be mounting a 6x18 Leupold and my son will most likely mount a V16 Weaver.

#10 ·
The great guy I mentioned who was instrumental in helping me to obtain these two guns is our own Teddy Bear Rat. A very knowledgeable fellow and a class act all the way. :bthumb:

Had he not offered me the opportunity, it is doubtful I would have owned another Cooper. I guess he felt sorry for me after the bad luck I had a few years ago with that JSR. :D

#16 ·
The wood in Doug's gun is really nice, and with that shorter barrel, I'll bet it's a pleasure to carry.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I took about five or six photos of each of the guns I show, and of course I picked the worst looking pic from each group to represent each gun. You know, like we all pick the worst group out of a series of groups to show everyone how accurate our gun is. :rolleyes: ;) :D

#22 ·
Marketing

Al, it's like plastic -- there's plastic and then there's plastic. Likewise, there's plywood and then there's plywood, er, laminate. :) I've seen some very nice laminates too. Doug
Respectfully offered, calling plywood "laminate" is a marketing ploy to sell more plywood. Just like calling metal or plastic stocks a chassis.

Plywood makes for a fine stock material.

This is a laminate stock:

#23 ·
2nd from the top is a Kimber Classic in traditional blued steel & checkered walnut.
It’s been scratched a couple of times, in real life usage. Used not abused…. But, I wince when it does show a little scratch.
Not sure, I understand the outright animus for the same rifle, but with a workhorse stock?
Purpose built…. Takes nothing away from the one with AAA Claro 🔔 & whistles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.